Fitting ESP lateral acceleration sensor to W208 CLK

T

tjj23

Hi

I've got the BAS/ESP light which came on intermittently and is now staying on almost all the time. I tried replacing the brake light switch after reading other posts but this didn't make any difference. So I took it to get diagnosed and it looks like it is the ESP lateral acceleration sensor that has failed. Its a 2001 W208 CLK 200K.

Does anyone know where this is located and whether it is easy to replace at home?

Thanks

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
See what I can find

5pares

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320cdi
I beleive its in the boot and theres a roadtest routine that has to be done,something like pressing the traction button for a few seconds,then driving straight for a few yards then turning sharply,not much help i know.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I beleive its in the boot and theres a roadtest routine that has to be done,something like pressing the traction button for a few seconds,then driving straight for a few yards then turning sharply,not much help i know.

This is one thing that I have never found yet on the 208 or 203 dont know where it is in WIS

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
its not the same thing thats used to detect the back of the car lifting is it?

Looking at starfinder, the lateral sensor needs to be checked at n47-5, ignition on, measure voltage at pin 1.24 = 5V, and if lateral movement is performed, then pin 1.23 should be > 10mvAC

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It is the pendulum thing that knows when the car is slewing

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
WIS describes its location as

in the front of the trunk under the cover B24/2 document gt42.45-p-4700-03c

if you can find it, it looks like it has just 2 bolts securing it, and a multiplug

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
WIS describes its location as

in the front of the trunk under the cover B24/2 document gt42.45-p-4700-03c

if you can find it, it looks like it has just 2 bolts securing it, and a multiplug

Thank you so the OP can get to it fairly easy

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thank you so the OP can get to it fairly easy

would seem so, but I cant really picture where it is exactly for the other models its a real pic so you can get your bearings, but wis shows just a simple line drawing for the 208

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
lateral acceleration sensor is indeed in the boot, under plastic panel at the front. not to be confused with yaw rate sensor - similar looking in same location.

you should find the sensor is `plug and play` if you'll pardon the expression. these do fail and we have changed a few.

these two sensors give the esp information about the vehicles changing attitude in the direction travelled, along with wheel speed and steering angle sensors. all in all a very clever bit of kit and something i think mercedes should be very pleased about, a genuinely effective safety measure. i hope everyone has tried theirs out?

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
lateral acceleration sensor is indeed in the boot, under plastic panel at the front. not to be confused with yaw rate sensor - similar looking in same location.

you should find the sensor is `plug and play` if you'll pardon the expression. these do fail and we have changed a few.

these two sensors give the esp information about the vehicles changing attitude in the direction travelled, along with wheel speed and steering angle sensors. all in all a very clever bit of kit and something i think mercedes should be very pleased about, a genuinely effective safety measure. i hope everyone has tried theirs out?

Can you be a bit more precise as to where it is, as the image on WIS makes it look as though it could be anywhere :)

Seeing as I have a 208 I might as well locate mine "just in case"

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
open the boot, remove carpet on floor pan to expose spare wheel. forward of the spare wheel well you will see a large plastic cover, the full width of the boot. remove this cover and there is very little fitted beneath apart from the esp sensors.

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
open the boot, remove carpet on floor pan to expose spare wheel. forward of the spare wheel well you will see a large plastic cover, the full width of the boot. remove this cover and there is very little fitted beneath apart from the esp sensors.

Thanks, ill have a look as soon as I get the chance :) but I dont recall anything in that area, I have the anti tilt sensor to the left of the wheel, fuse box to the far right, and thats about it, "i think"

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
forward of all that. very big cover, hard to miss, sits in the horizontal plane and goes to the very front of the boot area.

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
If you have electric seats Mark, the main power relay for them is also there, the plastic cover is secured by 3-4 large headed plastic screws, 208 is the same layout as a 202.

OP
T

tjj23

Thanks guys! :) I just got back from a weekend away to find all the replies.

I bought the sensor and it was indeed located under the plastic panel in the boot beyond the spare wheel in the location with the yellow circle. To fit I gently levered up the clip on the connector pulled the connector off and then levered up the metal cage. Easy! Took about 5 mins.
And the BAS/ESP light has gone off and hopefully it'll never come back :p

That has saved me some money especially as the guy in the local garage reckoned it was in the centre console and would take 2 hours to install. Suspicious....

Tom

Attachments

• DSCF2390.JPG
    DSCF2390.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 626
  • DSCF2393.JPG
    DSCF2393.JPG
    5.7 KB · Views: 464

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom