Fitting for an SL500- Funny Story.

AndrewCrowne

Reaction score
After years of being purely Land Rover & BMW I have recently been charmed by Mercedes-Benz after my recent CL500 acquisition.

I am now brand besotted and need more fixes. I tried to buy an SL500 (W107 or is it R107?) today. I arrived at the fitting, it looked the part in metallic black, sounded great, lots of work done... Interior was a wee bit shabby, but nothing that couldn't be fixed.

I could not get the car to fit. My size 11's tangled in the pedals and it was nigh on impossible to get my fairly average 34 inch legs under the steering wheel. Hard top in situ, I then tried to sit up straight. The most comfortable position was my head cocked at 45 degrees. What it would be like with the roof off? I suspected in the words of Jay Leno, I would look like a 'circus bear' ....picking wasps out my forehead in the summer.

Regretfully, I tuned the vendor down.... not quite believing I could not fit into this object of desire, I tried again. Only this time I could not get out, save for leaning onto the ground and crawling from the cockpit.... Not quite the dignified image I had in mind for the races etc....

Highly frustrating.....

Any tips on getting a 6'3" person into an SL?

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W638, W140, W220, W639 All gone but not forgotten
I can't help with you getting in and out but as I am a bit less than 6'3" you could buy it and I will look after it for you

dizzy lizzy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL129 (diesel),2 x 124 250D,190d 2.5
After years of being purely Land Rover & BMW I have recently been charmed by Mercedes-Benz after my recent CL500 acquisition.

I am now brand besotted and need more fixes. I tried to buy an SL500 (W107 or is it R107?) today. I arrived at the fitting, it looked the part in metallic black, sounded great, lots of work done... Interior was a wee bit shabby, but nothing that couldn't be fixed.

I could not get the car to fit. My size 11's tangled in the pedals and it was nigh on impossible to get my fairly average 34 inch legs under the steering wheel. Hard top in situ, I then tried to sit up straight. The most comfortable position was my head cocked at 45 degrees. What it would be like with the roof off? I suspected in the words of Jay Leno, I would look like a 'circus bear' ....picking wasps out my forehead in the summer.

Regretfully, I tuned the vendor down.... not quite believing I could not fit into this object of desire, I tried again. Only this time I could not get out, save for leaning onto the ground and crawling from the cockpit.... Not quite the dignified image I had in mind for the races etc....

Highly frustrating.....

Any tips on getting a 6'3" person into an SL?

no sorry can't help-but very funny story- i am glad i'm a midget - i love my SL:)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I had no problem with the 129 and 33" legs and huge 10½ shoes,,raising the seat makes easy getting in and out.

My friend 6ft 2 drives a 107 with no problem

the 230 is the best of all

stumpy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
various
You'll get no sympathy from me :)

OP
A

AndrewCrowne

Reaction score
I'm sure I can get in a 129... Maybe that should be the second choice. The 107 just seems so much more 70's/80's glam... (My girlfriends view). I should try a few more on for size..

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Condolences

I can sympathize with the OP. I am all of 5' 7" tall (and wide), but drive with the seat quite far back. In the 129, I am either at the limit of travel, or very close to it.

I have often wondered how a less compact person might get on in a 129. Now we know.

hotbaws

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDi Estate
I had a go in my friends SL55 AMG the other week and as much as I loved the look of it I couldn't get the seat into a comfy position, I speant more time playing with the electric seat buttoms than enjoying the drive.

I'm 6'1" and wouldn't get one because of this.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I had a go in my friends SL55 AMG the other week and as much as I loved the look of it I couldn't get the seat into a comfy position, I speant more time playing with the electric seat buttoms than enjoying the drive.

I'm 6'1" and wouldn't get one because of this.

Well I am 6ft dead and I have the comfort seats,,there is no way that i could drive the car with the seats all the way back, I am one of the fussiest going on seats, and compare all with my V70R. The is no way that I would have a 230 with standard seats and that lumbar wheel

hairyg

Reaction score
Website
www.vegetarian-and-low-calorie-recipes.com
Your Mercedes
R129 (1994) SL320
I used to be 6' 2" but have now shrunk to 5' 10" with a spinal condition. I still have 35 1/2" inside leg measurement so I have the seat well back in my 129 and it is the most comfortable car I have ever had. I can even adjust the seat/ steering wheel combination to accomodate the hump in my spine, something I find impossible in lesser machinery.

My son-in-law is a 6' 4" rugby player and he can slip in and out of the car without any trouble.

I get in backside first and then swing my feet in after. This also make sit easier if you can't get the door fully open. Yoga classes can also help:)

harleyman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 (W215), (450sl (R107), Porsche 965, RR Silver Shadow ll, MGB Roadster,Heritage Softail
Didn't Jeremy Clarkson have a sl55 and he is 6'5'' and I don't remember him saying he had any problems getting in and out of it!!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Didn't Jeremy Clarkson have a sl55 and he is 6'5'' and I don't remember him saying he had any problems getting in and out of it!!

Yes there is loads of room in the 230, I do not think that I could drive mine with the seat all the way back

paperback

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 280 W107 1983
W107 Steering Wander

Hi, Not a specific response to this thread- but does anyone have any experience of diagnostics and repair recommendation for the following problem i'm experiencing:

1983 SL280 W107 Auto has steering wander. Mercedes dealership have adjusted the box and say that it is in wear tolerence. Any suggestions? I hear that it may be the subframe rubbers that need replacing.

It's a great car and has just had some new fluted panels fitted that i got from KK manufacturing in the US.

Thanks in advance

Paperback

The Pan Man

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 E 500 A/G Classic colour combination.
I had an SLK for a day when I had my seat fixed a couple of years ago. 6ft 6in 18 Stone size 11s I only had to drive it about 6 miles thank god it was like a wet suit every bit of me was touching something.

PhiliusM

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK 350; Megane
I'm 5' 11" with short legs and a long back. I have to have the seat almost right down in my SLK but quite a long way forward. I takes me ages to get the seating position correct. I once had a Volvo S80. I foolishly adjusted the seat whilst driving, only at about 5 MPH though, the seat shot back and I couldn't reach the pedals at all.

Supersonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 E220CDI Cabrio
Have you ever tried getting in and out of a Lotus Elise??

There is definitely an art to it!

Nige

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
Hi, Not a specific response to this thread- but does anyone have any experience of diagnostics and repair recommendation for the following problem i'm experiencing:

1983 SL280 W107 Auto has steering wander. Mercedes dealership have adjusted the box and say that it is in wear tolerence. Any suggestions? I hear that it may be the subframe rubbers that need replacing.

It's a great car and has just had some new fluted panels fitted that i got from KK manufacturing in the US.

Thanks in advance

Paperback

You are more likely to get an answer if you start a new post in the steering thread. :D

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom