Fitting upstream Lambda sensor on a 2007 E280 CDI Diesel

Chris Lyddon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E280 CDI Elegance Auto Estate 2007
Hi, my engine management light notification and subsequent analysis showed Bank 1 Zone one sensor failure. I have been under my Mercedes but can only find the down stream sensor.

Can anyone help? My questions stem around finding it and any advice on taking it out and replacing it.
1/. Online information shows twin exhaust manifolds but my E280 seems to have a single system travelling past the steering column and then branching into twin exhausts further down the vehicle. Is the sensor up above the visible exhaust manifold?
2/. Is the Lambda sensor Bank 1 Zone 1 accessible from above? As the constriction in the space above this manifold is cramped.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Welcome to the forum buddy , I went through all this recently on my 2009 E320cdi (no DPF) . I like you wondered how many there were because most research indicated 2 of them .
My car only had one sensor , which I easily accessed from below with the car on wheel ramps at the front .
I ended up with a Bosch sensor for £76 . MB wanted £224+ . It actually took longer to identify getting the correct sensor online than it did to fit it .
If I remember correctly the Bosch and MB part numbers were on the sensor which I didn't spot till later . Be careful as there were two identical Bosch sensors , but one had a longer cable . It turns out I needed a longer cable version so I had to return the first one I ordered .
Just checked my car ,it's not visible from above . Easy job from below it was just behind the front wheels .

OP
C

Chris Lyddon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
High Wighty, thanks for the reply. Many thanks for your reply. I have located the downstream sensor which are as seen in the images. But I'm not sure if you are describing the downstream sensor?

Attachments

• Downstream Lambda sensor electronic connector.jpg
    Downstream Lambda sensor electronic connector.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Downstream Lambda sensor II.jpg
    Downstream Lambda sensor II.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 12
  • Downstream Lambda sensor.jpg
    Downstream Lambda sensor.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 11

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
High Wighty, thanks for the reply. Many thanks for your reply. I have located the downstream sensor which are as seen in the images. But I'm not sure if you are describing the downstream sensor?
Yep , that looks exactly like the only sensor I found , and the one I replaced .

OP
C

Chris Lyddon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi, yeah, unfortunately, the upstream sensor is near the (or attached near) the catalytic converter. (Just my ****** luck lol) At this moment in time I can't even see it, never mind change it. I've got the new Bosch part, I've got the new sensor changing socket. I just need to find the sensor placement.

Many thanks for the post though.

Cheers

Chris

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi, yeah, unfortunately, the upstream sensor is near the (or attached near) the catalytic converter. (Just my ****** luck lol) At this moment in time I can't even see it, never mind change it. I've got the new Bosch part, I've got the new sensor changing socket. I just need to find the sensor placement.

Many thanks for the post though.

Cheers

Chris
That's I what I was trying to say originally . Mine only had one , even MB and other sites thought there was 2 ! Are you sure there is another ?

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom