1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fog Light fuses '90 CE230

Discussion in 'Electrics, Vacuum, Ignition and ECU' started by jeff605, Nov 1, 2012.

1. jeff605

jeff605 Guest

Just realised the other day in foggy weather in Norfolk, didn't know where to switch on the fog lights !! After I got home and read the owner's manual, I tried switching them on as per, no result Bulbs there , checked ok. Also the two round inner head lights not on in any switch position. So, figured first thing to check was for a blown fuse. However, neither the fuse box lid legend or the Owners manual list this fuse position, non of the other fuses have blown. Can anyone point me to the fuse concerned - I assume this lighting cct. is fused - and it's location please. Thankks, Jeff

2. OP
    jeff605

jeff605 Guest

Having looked at the cct diagram in the haynes book, it appears there are no separate fuses for these lights, I'm now wondering if there is an earth fault causing this problem. As I've never seen them on, when do the inner two headlights - the " round " ones come on ? Jeff

3. television

television Always remembered RIP

Your Mercedes:
    2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
    So you pulled the knob out and they still did not work ?

4. hotrodder

hotrodder Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    '93 320te, '54 ragtop beetle (in bits)
    The 'inner round headlights' are the front fog lights, these have to be switched on for the rear fog light to work... They're both operated from the light switch, as said you pull it out for fog lamps (one click for front, 2 for front and rear which'll also illuminate the centre of the switch with a red 'tell tale' for the rear fog) BUT the side or headlamps need to be on first as the switch is designed in a way that prevents idiots from leaving their fog lights on forever i.e. switching off the side/headlights also switches off the fogs

The owners manual for mine lists fuse # 4 as 'fog light, rear light' as does this google find from peachparts... fuses w124 230e. The fuse style used on these cars cannot be deemed OK from a cursory glance i.e. even if not obviously blown they're prone to failure/problems at the ends where they make contact. Need to take a suspect fuse out and look it over and/or replace with new as a test

If they're not working it should've been picked up at the last MOT and resulted in a fail...

5. OP
    jeff605

jeff605 Guest

fog lamp fuses

What a Wally !!!! How I missed the fuse 4 in both the fuse label and the cct diagram I don't know. To make it worse, I've got an electrical background too !!! Have to put it down to old age and poor eyesight I suppose It did turn out to be a corroded fuse and holder, all ok now. Thanks for the kind help, Jeff