Footwell Lighting

thecrookedvulture

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 E230 Elegance
Hi guys, I'm toying with the idea of installing some footwell lighting into my w202. Have found these on ebay;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-X-White-15-...geNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ht_1894wt_905

Was thinking of taking power from the Astray Bulb, which would mean they would come on when the Side lights are turned on, but am now thinking it might be better if they came on when a door was opened, possibly with the option of turning them on when the doors are shut too. I am unsure on where to take power from in that case though.

What are your thoughts? Is this possible? Is it the worst idea you have ever heard?

ianrandom

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1986 420SE, 1990 420SEC, 1989 2cv6.
I plan to do this in my old 126 too. I was going to take power from the accessory block which is meant for extra stuff, and just have a switch for them on and off. (I have a spare switch hole i need to use anyway.)

I wonder if the 202 has a similar accessory power block. On mine its behind the carpet panel near the bonnet pull.

OP
T

thecrookedvulture

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 E230 Elegance
Hmm, interesting. I'l look into that! What would be ideal (in my opinion), would be if they came on when a door was opened, then faded slightly once the car was moving.
Sadly I am no auto electrician so think it might be beyond me! One thought I had was to get 2 seperate strips of LEDS for each footwell, and wire one of them into the Ashtray Bulb, and the other into the Dome Light.

dieselman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A diesel
It will be as simple to wore them to the door switch as it will to the ashtray lamp and Gnd.
If yours is a later car with CAN control of the under-door lights, then it would be best to take the wiring right back to that supply to have the new lights work in conjunction with those.

OP
T

thecrookedvulture

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 E230 Elegance
Thanks for the feedback Dieselman. Pardon my ignorance, but what is the CAN control? My car is a 1998 Facelift model, which doesn't have the under-door puddle lights but I am actually collecting the lamps for these tomorrow :)

dieselman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A diesel
What kind of key do you have, electronic or flip out blade?

The Control Area Network carries the operating signals for the features round the car.

OP
T

thecrookedvulture

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 E230 Elegance
It's an electronic key mate. Just consulting my Haynes manual as we speak, am I right in thinking the door switches I am after are located in the B-Pillar?

dieselman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A diesel
They are, but for best effect wire into the door dog poo lights.

OP
T

thecrookedvulture

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 E230 Elegance
'Dog Poo Lights' - Haha, brilliant!
Sounds like a plan though. So, just to check, I want to run the wires for the LED footwell lights into the door, and connect them to pins 1 and 5 on the door control unit (same pins as the dog poo lights)?

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom