Foreign reg & speed camera question

matei72

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2000 E200 Kompressor, LHD and 2015 C300h W205
Hi all,

I've been driving the wife's foreign-reg E200K for the past 3 weeks to a new job in Northampton. Unlike the loads of eejits who drive as they please with foreign number plates, I've been trying to drive as if the car is registered here in the UK. No... seriously, I am.

As a matter of fact, we're in the process of registering it here. It just passed it's MOT (with stickers on the headlamps no less), and we're waiting for MB to send the CoC.

In spite of my efforts, I blew through an unfamiliar 30 mph zone at about 34 mph, and I saw the dreaded flash of the camera...

My question is... what happens in this situation? This is our only car (not for long), and it isn't registered yet with the DVLA - but it will be shortly. Both my wife and I have foreign licenses as well.

Does the number get added to some sort of offender's list? Would our chequered past catch up with us when we do attempt to register my wife's car with the DVLA?

OP
M

matei72

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks Parrot...

We'll be approaching 6 months at the beginning of August, so we're aiming for 01/08 to have the car sorted legally here.

MB is taking ages to get the CoC to us, but I am optimistic that it will arrive sooner rather than later.

I'd be surprised if any correspondance from the DVLA gets to my wife's address in the old country, as almost anything we send gets nicked by either the corrupt postal employees there or the dodgy neighbours.

For that matter, I read that they dont' (yet) have access to various databases throughout Europe... I imagine that this will eventually change.

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Just because it flashed,,it does not mean that any film was in the camera. For foreign registered cars little is done, and as Parrot no notice can be sent in 14 days, so that will soon pass.

I do not think anything will happen when you register the car as that area district do not work with the registration departments and nothing to do with them.

In the case of a persistent offender, then the police will set up, and wait for the car to stop it and deal with it.

I do not think that anything will happen

OP
M

matei72

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well... I hope you guys are right!

It does take a lot to adjust my driving style to driving here in the UK... there are so many cameras, it is unreal.

Perhaps when I give her car back, I'll get myself something slow and pokey so that I've no choice but to go slow.

True romance

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
slk280 (2008 face lift)
I'm sure i've read somewhere that the UK do not fine foreign cars/drivers, but if you travel in the EU our wondefull gov/dvla will pass on your details to them!

LYNALL

Reaction score
Pretty certain law changed its now illegal for any uk citizen to drive a foreign regd car in the uk.

Google pepipoo

Lynall

OP
M

matei72

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks guys. Great site, that pepipoo one.

I've got two licenses actually, one non ECC and one ECC. No UK license though, and it looks like it'll stay that way.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Thanks guys. Great site, that pepipoo one.

I've got two licenses actually, one non ECC and one ECC. No UK license though, and it looks like it'll stay that way.

When I lived in Sweden I used an UK reg car,,and when in the uk I used to use a Swedish reg car,, no parking charges or speeding tickets in either country. the same with the driving license

exchangeandmart

Reaction score
you guys said they have 14 days to get it to you, but recently I got caught going through a red light camera (although I was annoyed as i am sure it was orange, but hey ho it flashed) - thought it would be ok as didnt hear anything for ages but about 2 months later i got the fine (which i have since paid and taken the points on my license)!

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
When I lived in Sweden I used an UK reg car,,and when in the UK I used to use a Swedish reg car,, no parking charges or speeding tickets in either country. the same with the driving license

Some will say that you are an exemplary driver - but I know that you are just too quick for the cameras! :rolleyes:

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom