Found 2 rusty funny looking “washers” on bolts holding on front wings, W216 CL 500, can one just undo these and replace?

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Bit odd ... found both these washer things had got rust on them. Both sides.

79516EC2-DBA5-4AC8-9AFD-5FC9780350C9.jpeg
OK no biggy as they are holding down an Aluminium front wing flange, and its really only surface rust.
Question: can one just undo the Hex Nut and remove the washer, and not disturb the wing position if you hold the Star bolt at the same time?
Don’t want to disturb the perfectly aligned wings.

Failing that :
Anybody know a good rust converter?
I tried NEUTRARUST 661 ... on the shaft of my Rotary weed and feeder ..... Utter crap. Yes it ‘converted’ the surface rust, and left a sort of plastic like black like coating. but when I replaced the shaft, the black plastic coating scraped off, revealing totally rusty shaft. Totally useless as you think you have cured the rust, but it would just be festering under this plastic like finish.

Unlike the Brilliant Trustan 23 (sadly no longer available), that really converted 100% of all surface rust, at a molecular level, and never returned.
And didn’t add surface height ... perfect for painting.

Maybe I should use a Rust Remover?. , as I prefer it doesn’t leave a coating depth ref painting.
Any recommendations ?

Weird these washers both rusted, as the only other rust on the car (even underneath) was the Electronic Brake Shield, and the tie bar holding the 2 exhaust pipes together near the diff. And they were near or tied to the exhaust pipes.
Being OCD both now replaced, and the new parts given an additional 2 spray coats of heat resistant paint and lacquer, and they still look brand new 2 years later
11AECE38-2D3D-4A4D-8D21-6B22EB14FFEF.jpeg

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I'd imagine that's a captive bolt with a torx head to assist if it's tight.
Yes you should be able to simply undo it.

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
I reckon you’ll find that “washer” is integral with the nut. The reason for corrosion is likely differing metals. You should be able to remove one at a time, soda blast and paint both sides and refit. It’ll leave a witness on the panel below so you can put it back in exactly the same place

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
I reckon you’ll find that “washer” is integral with the nut. The reason for corrosion is likely differing metals. You should be able to remove one at a time, soda blast and paint both sides and refit. It’ll leave a witness on the panel below so you can put it back in exactly the same place
Good point, I hadn't checked if wiz gives me a torque setting

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom