France: Sat Nav and Headlights

welshwonder08

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 e320 CDI Sport
Hi,

I'm taking the family to France next month in the 2009 e320 Sport and I have two questions:

1. I have my Sat Nav DVDs which say "Europe" all over the place, but yet when I'm in the car there does not seem to be anywhere that I can select anything other than the UK for navigation? I have the 2014 version 12 for Command. Does it just "know" that I'm in the UK now and only give me UK and will do the same for France or do I not have Europe installed?

2. Is there anything clever (like a setting somewhere or a switch) that will change my headlights "position" for driving in France? Or do I need to buy those sticky things that you have to put on the outside of your headlights?

Thanks

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350

2. Is there anything clever (like a setting somewhere or a switch) that will change my headlights "position" for driving in France? Or do I need to buy those sticky things that you have to put on the outside of your headlights?

Thanks

Isn't there a lever inside the back of the headlight to cut off the left upsweep of our RHD lights? There is on my R Class projector lights

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
not sure on the satnat but your headlights (i think) can be adjusted by opening the rear of the unit and to the right is a little lever that can be moved up or down that operates a blind on the lights making them safe for europe, i found it best to do this against a wall to check that the flick up to the left of the beem pattern has been flattened out.

I'm sure i don't need to say this but what ever you do do NOT have the key in the ignition while making the change and leave it unlocked/out for 20 minutes to ensure there is no held charge in the unit. Possibily a little OTT but better to be safe than sorry :)

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350

I'm sure i don't need to say this but what ever you do do NOT have the key in the ignition while making the change and leave it unlocked/out for 20 minutes to ensure there is no held charge in the unit. Possibily a little OTT but better to be safe than sorry :)

that's a LOT OTT ;) It's a mechanical shutter you're moving, even if the car has HIDs, there's no risk of electrocution :smile:

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
i know it's mechanical but I do like to air on the side of caution when working near the electrics. So key out of the ignition at least the 20 minutes for discharge isn't really required :rolleyes: :)

OP
W

welshwonder08

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 e320 CDI Sport
Thank you, I will check.

Any comments for my Sat Nav question (I do find Command overly complicated compared to the Tom Tom that I used to use).

tode

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 btec 2011
If you have "Europe" in the car, then you should be able to enter any destination in Europe when you're in the UK.

Don't forget that when setting the destination, you'll have to start by choosing the country of destination, otherwise it just proposes the last selected country (i.e. the UK).

Last edited:

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Open the main Nav menu and select Destination input. Down the left side of the screen you should see the Country soft key, press and select from the list.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Re the sat nav, some units will not let you do an entry abroad until the car is in that country, I would have though that yours is all on the hard drive for a 2009 car.
I have to do my 216 lamps on STAR, but I never bother and just use the dipped beams.

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
My NTG4 Comand with maps on the HD knows when I change countries - soon as I start up when the shuttle pulls in, it knows whether I'm in UK or France.

tode

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 btec 2011
My NTG4 Comand with maps on the HD knows when I change countries - soon as I start up when the shuttle pulls in, it knows whether I'm in UK or France.

Just as well it knows which country it's in :D

OP
W

welshwonder08

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 e320 CDI Sport
Lights

I just had a look for the lever on the lights, there isn't much room under the bonnet so it is difficult to see, but I couldn't see anything. The pictures shows what my phone could see.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• MercLights.jpg
    MercLights.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 64

Ricardo_e220

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R170 SLK230k 1999
Just remove the plastic caps at the back of the headlight, and wiggle fingers in and there is a little lever inside. I chickened out the first time and took it to the dealer.. They did it foc, got the tech to show me where the lever was. It only flattens the beam of tip the other way mind.

No idea on the nav, can't you navigate it to another country while sitting in the uk?? I've done this with tomtom and garmin units, and Audi was similar too.

Last edited:

Andy.M

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 GLA250 Premium Plus, Night, AMG Exclusive Leather, Driving Assistance Packs COMAND DAB HK Audio

Whole point of a Sat-Nav really!!! :):):):p

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
My old Navman is nowhere near as easy - I have to load the maps of the country I'm in or going to, otherwise it does not work when we get there!

It's soon going on the scrap heap once I get round to actually seeing a Tom Tom 6000!

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
have a look at a 5000, i've got one and find the screen size more then adiquate.

OP
W

welshwonder08

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 e320 CDI Sport
Lights

Just remove the plastic caps at the back of the headlight, and wiggle fingers in and there is a little lever inside. I chickened out the first time and took it to the dealer.. They did it foc, got the tech to show me where the lever was. It only flattens the beam of tip the other way mind.

No idea on the nav, can't you navigate it to another country while sitting in the uk?? I've done this with tomtom and garmin units, and Audi was similar too.

I haven't had a chance to check yet, but presumably I'll have to do this when the car is still on the ferry, so hope that it isn't too fiddly? I already dropped the plastic cap at the back of the lights into the engine bay, just managed to catch it in time..phew.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
You can do this well in advance. The adjustment will have no detrimental effect when driving in the UK. You simply loose the little lefthand 'kick' in the beam. Many newer cars have the flat beam pattern anyway..

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
As above. It doesn't matter to have them flat beamed. The dealer advised me of this when they showed me where the switch was.

On my S204 with ILS the lever is on the inside of the headlight unit. By that I mean the side of the bulb closest to the centre of the car. They go in opposite ways. So one side you lift the lever up and the other side you push the lever down. I can't remember which side is which off the top of my head. But you will feel a click as the lever moves into position.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom