Front Discs

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
well good for them, if they need to do it that way then no harm done.

i myself always use a torque wrench to tighten wheel bolts, having ensured the threads and bolts are clean and free. many garages trust the airgun to overtighten them :roll:

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
OP
R

Rockhopper1

Reaction score
Thanks guys for all of your usefull info. I have replaced discs and pads on many different cars and never have i come across discs so seized to the hub as these were. Anyway the discs and pads are changed now and i have cleaned out the wheel bearings and replaced the high temp grease.

Can i ask on torque setting for the end float and any other info/pics on the correct setup to ensure everything is as should be. At the moment i have hand tightened the end float and spun disc and re-checked float and seems to be ok. I have tightened up the allen key and wheel is now back on and there is no play on wheel and it spins smoothly

Thanks

Number_Cruncher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 E300D TE
The bearings should be set with an end float of 0.01 to 0.02mm, and definitely should not be preloaded.

The only way to acheive this minuscule setting is to use a dial gauge - as called up in the MB procedure. Clearances this small are beyond what anyone can feel.

There are various "rule of thumb" bodges which are commonly used to set the bearings, but, none of them will meet the MB specification. Whether doing the job properly or not matters to you is another question.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
many of us just do up the nut till it gets stiffer to turn and back it off say 1/4 of a turn,,,it will not be perfect but the same as a bearing that has not been touched say in 30k miles

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sacrilege IN A Shed! now now your man get it out right away - the dial gauge I mean;)

Well at least he did not say that he has a shed full;):D

OP
R

Rockhopper1

Reaction score
instead of a dial guage could i use feeler gauges instead?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes

No that is impossible,,,you will be fine by just doing up the nut till the wheel gets tight and backing off 1/4 of a turn max

Number_Cruncher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 E300D TE

No - the required clearance is much too small.

MB have specified a clearance, and have written a procedure to set the bearings.

The dial gauge which you need to use the procedure is a cheap tool, and is simple and very quick to use. For some odd reason, people are resistant to the idea of doing the job properly, and have come up with spurious rule of thumb methods - you'll find two different vague "recipes" on this thread alone.

Oddly enough, for the DIYer, I think the MB procedure is by far the easiest way to obtain a consistent result, as it removes all skill and judgement from the setting (it doesn't rely on your personal judgement of what represents "tight") - perhaps at a get together the experts should set up a bearing, and then the end float be measured by a dial gauge to see how good the various home brew methods actually are?

djb

Reaction score
...... perhaps at a get together the experts should set up a bearing, and then the end float be measured by a dial gauge to see how good the various home brew methods actually are?

now that would be interesting !!!

Jay Gee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Honda
now that would be interesting !!!

Yes,especially if it was an original untouched bearing on a car with a few miles under its belt,and before and after readings taken.

OP
R

Rockhopper1

Reaction score
Thanks guys for all of your usefull help. :)

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom