front washers not working HELP

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
what about taking a direct 12vdc feed to the pump to see if it fires up, this will give a better indication of where the fault is. if manual power feed starts the pump and water jets work, it leave a lot less possibilities and will take just a few mins to test

Do as Mark suggests, you need to establish if this is an electrical or a water tube problem.

Top up the washer tank wthh water
Put 12v to the pump, independently of the cars electrics, via a battery charger.
xxxxx
Observe if there is any water dripping from under the bonnet in case there might be a tube off somewhere

If the pump runs but no water at the jets then there must be a blockage or a kink in the tubes.

If the pump doesn’t run then it may be a stalk fault or something else.

I don’t know if the end of the stalk comes off on your car but I think it should, it’s a very tight fit, you need a very strong thumb grip, a piece of dry rubber over the end bit of the stalk will help.

Dec

Last edited:
OP
D

derby dave

Reaction score
i really cant be bothered answering any more posts

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Well put the car on STAR it is CAN controlled and the SAM may have lost communication with it

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
i really cant be bothered answering any more posts

sorry to hear that dave, i guess people don't always read everything on the thread before they post. you know there is no power to the pump and i believe you!

the reason i asked twice if the wipers sweep when you press the stalk is to rule out the stalk. if the wipers sweep then the stalk is fine, plain and simple. i guess when you say 'yes the wipers work' you are answering my specific question. so don't bother breaking the end off the stalk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this just leaves you with two possibilities, wiring problems or front sam problems. the sam powers the wipers and the washer pump, so if the wipers sweep when you press the switch, the can communication is getting to the sam. it will output to the wipers on a plug at the top - easily spotted next to the fuses - and the output to the washer pump is from underneath, a real swine to access!

good luck, i just hope you can be bothered to read the posts.

OP
D

derby dave

Reaction score
thanks malc and alex i was getting a bit frustrated with some of the reply's i worked for a local Ford dealers for over 20yrs / 6yrs as foreman in the rs workshop i had to retire 15yrs ago with my health, so you could say i kinda now my way round a motor, unfortunatly fancy electronics on board modern cars now just blow me away, in all my years of owning and driving cars i was only stumped once and had to garage a merc with a misfire, a local Bosch approved garage who said they had the relavent software, fitted parts that were totally unecessary,after 7days of bullsh*t i removed it and with a little help from GSF it turned out to be the Maf, so no washers/ looks like i will have find a decent indie somewhere local to me many thanks again David

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
hi dave, i just checked the info for your set up and it goes like this.

switch S4s4 (the washer switch in the S4 combi switch) is wired into the N80 steering column module on your 2005 car. earlier models are wired to the N73 ignition switch module.

the N80 sends the signal via the class B (interior) can bus to the N10/1 front sam. the sam outputs to the wipers via the realy stages mounted on the top - this works ok, telling us all of the above is A-ok.

the N10/1 also activates the positive pin in the M5/1 washer pump plug (the negative pin is permanent earth behind the n/s headlamp at connector W7). this is a violet/yellow wire coming from pin1/plug6 in the base of the N10/1. as this function does not work it suggests either a wiring issue between the N10/1 and the M5/1 or an N10/1 failure, quite common i am afriad.

dave, does your washer fluid level indicator work when the level is very low?

OP
D

derby dave

Reaction score
yes it does indicate low water level in the washer bottle

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
seperate circuit, but same plug (no.6) in front sam. often sam failure will see multiple problems with sensors/consumers on same plug numbers. s41 and s42 are in series with ref resistance when level ok and closed circuit when low level.

one more thing, the combination switch on some models has a 'two stage' press feature. light press = single wipe, heavier press = wash/wipe. if the wipers sweep for 3 times when you press it hard, and 1 times with light press then the switch is ok. if they only sweep once then don't change the sam yet!!

a star diagnosis will pin it down quickly.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom