Front wheel hub

Graeme 1978

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 2012 2.1
Hi all just a question?

Would it be possible or has anyone experienced the FRONT wheel hub shaft were the wheel bearing goes onto wear a way.
Is it possible or not as am having trouble with me driver side front wheel bearing am fitting a second bearing in a matter of weeks a used a dial gauge set it between 1 and 2 thousands of an inch but am still getting a grinding noise lime the disc is rubbing against the pads when a turn right and at high speeds a serious wobble ad wheels balanced just can't seem to rectify this problem.
Any suggestions or advice will be much appreciated thanks.
Graeme

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

OP
G

Graeme 1978

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 2012 2.1
Sorry this is on a E220 2.1 w212 2012 plate forgot to add this on.

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 440i, Cayenne, ZX12r / ZRX11 / ZRX Monoshock
How tight is the inner bearing on the stub ?

How tight is the outer bearing shell in the hub ?

Is it possible that the bearing has seized at some point and worn the stub or hub.

If you have only 0.001" of play then the disc should not be able to move in cornering to rub on the pads , or is there more movement after a couple of weeks.

Is the caliper tight ?

Have you tried swapping the wheels F -> R to see if the vibes reduces ?

K

OP
G

Graeme 1978

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 2012 2.1
A don't no about how tight the bearings are on the inner and outer shells.
It's still ok for cornering.
Have not swapped wheels.
Caliper all torqued up.
Maybe 1 or both bearings might have dryed out and seized but a don't no.
Could the shaft warne at all is it possible.

OP
G

Graeme 1978

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 2012 2.1
Does anyone know what the end float should be on a mercedes w212 E class by any chance

OP
G

Graeme 1978

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 2012 2.1
Ye thanks there's a good 1/2 gap between dust shield and disc and a good 2mm between pads and dis.

So just waisted a good 8 hours on doing the front driver side wheel bearing again to no avail still exactly the same as before a started so a have gave up and al just put up with noise these have got to be the worst wheel bearings to do considering ave done plenty on other cars over the years with no problems.
A no 1 thing a will never buy a mercedes again

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Ye thanks there's a good 1/2 gap between dust shield and disc and a good 2mm between pads and dis.

So just waisted a good 8 hours on doing the front driver side wheel bearing again to no avail still exactly the same as before a started so a have gave up and al just put up with noise these have got to be the worst wheel bearings to do considering ave done plenty on other cars over the years with no problems.
A no 1 thing a will never buy a mercedes again

That’s a drastic course of action, I’d take it to one of our indies and get their experience working on it before deciding never to buy a Mercedes again.

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
So if there is enough play in the bearing to cause disc / pad contact whilst cornering then you should be able to feel it with the car jacked up and gripping the wheel at 12 / 6 position ?

£25 will get you a used hub from eBay , lot cheaper than changing your car.

K

OP
G

Graeme 1978

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 2012 2.1
Cheers A set it with play at 12 and 6 and set it with no play but no matter which way a set it it's still gives a scrapping sound am at a lost now just fed up with it a no a lot of people with mercs never had problems ave had mine for 8 months and already regret getting it.
All this since a changed front discs and pads which over the years a have changed quite a few with it being a taxi so god only knows where a go next.
Could there ever be a chance that the shaft could be warne or am a missing something?.

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
So it was fine before replacing the discs , so that rules out the worn stub shaft theory.

The pads are fitted correctly and not dragging on the disc ?

You replaced both complete inner and outer bearing sets ?

When you had the hub off to replace the rear bearings was the stub shaft scored in any way ?

K

Last edited:
OP
G

Graeme 1978

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 2012 2.1
Definitely not no drag at all see day light between the pads and disc when it's jacked up and spin the disc and all so it's a brand new brake caliper because a that it might have been a sticking caliper so a changed it.
New disc + pads
New caliper
New bearing
So now am thinking let's just say if it's not the wheel bearing that's causing the pads to scrape could it be the rubber flexy hose not returning the brake fluid fast enough could it be failing internally am clutching at straws here.
It's only when a turn right.

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Me -2019 GLC 350 coupe AMG line. Mrs- ford kuga 65 plate awd powershift .
Anyone else reading this , buy a whole hub from mb £200, but in the end its a one time job,that works.

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
So now am thinking let's just say if it's not the wheel bearing that's causing the pads to scrape.
It's only when a turn right.

A bit of play in some suspension component on the right....???

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
At this point I'd be looking at proving where the noise is coming from.
I think that you'll need to determine this by coating potential rubbing points such as the disc and the back plate with something and looking for witness marks once you've managed to replicate the noise.
Normally I'd say use something like carbon black (say from a candle flame), chalk dust, talcum powder or poster paint (children's water based paint).
I'd also look at checking for contact between the wheel rim and suspension components, including the brake calliper.

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
could it be the rubber flexy hose not returning the brake fluid fast enough could it be failing internally am clutching at straws here.

I think you are , regarding the flexi.

If it definitely the front off side it is coming from ?

Going back to the bearings :

Both inside + outside complete bearings replaced ?

How did you seat both the new outer parts into the hub , press / installer or a hammer ?

K

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Anyone else reading this , buy a whole hub from mb £200, but in the end its a one time job,that works.

According to the OP , the noise only started when he replaced the discs.

So how we ended up replacing the caliper / bearings is a mystery , my first port of call would be revisiting the disc + pads install.

K

OP
G

Graeme 1978

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 2012 2.1
After fitting the new discs and pads that's when the noise started so a thought it could be a sticking caliper that's why that was changed to rule it out.
The bearing cups were seated with a press and the ABS ring all with mercedes grease.
The bearings were euro car parts so a don't no if that would make a difference.

Doug1234

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 w210 e300td
Get it on flat level ground with engine off and turn it on full right lock and check the arch liner and the tyre for rubbing marks or noise by slowly rolling car forwards and also get a lever behind the bottom arm bushes and look for any play in them.
No bulge or anything in tyre sidewalls ?

OP
G

Graeme 1978

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 2012 2.1
Thanks ave just had it on a shaker bed to see if any bushes or anything else was wrong but the mechanic assured me there's nothing wrong so now ave just give up a will wait until it either stops or brakes down then al find it until then am just driving it sick of waisting time and money on it cheers for all the replys.
Graeme

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom