Fuel Filter - What's The Difference Between...

STU120

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK 200
Hi there,

I'm going to do some DIY and am seeking some advice.

I have priced both fuel filters and spark plugs, and here's what I found -

Fuel Filter
Guttmann £23.55
Bosch £38.24
Mercedes £83.38!

Spark Plugs(each)
Bosch £6.52
Denso £10.12
Mercedes £11.61

What is the real difference in terms of quality between the components above? The Mercedes fuel filter is over twice the price of the Bosch equivalent, and three times the price of the Guttmann!

Any advice on which components I should go with?

Cheers,

Stu

Mercedes 190E

Reaction score
Website
stores.ebay.co.uk
Your Mercedes
2013 C220 CDI, 2004 A140 Classic SE (Parents!)
I'm pretty sure that Bosch make the MB filters anyway.....;)
I personally use nothing but NGK plugs in all my cars.

Silver_Star

Reaction score
Rural Leicestershire near where Pork Pies and Stil
Your Mercedes
W203.006, S211.208 Land Rover 90
As above try and get some NGK plugs, failing that I would go with Denso.

As for fuel filter I would go with the Bosch.

That is my personal preference if it were my car. I'm sure that everyone will have their own preference though!

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
as above really, but if you ver need oil filters, buy genuine. ive had problems in the past with pattern filters, and they were only a couple of quid cheaper than genuine! (oil level warning light can come on. oil level was fine, as was the sensor. new filter (genuine) and all was fine again!)

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
filters

any of the big names will do. AC delco, Fiamm, Wipac, Purolator, Bosch, Guttman,
but i go down to the Motor factors and buy Hengst, or Mann and Hummel, or Bosch.
The last three are OEM suppliers to mercedes. Look at your plastic oil filter housing. That's made by Hengst ( well, mine are). See if you can guess where the filter that the car left the factory with came from?

The same with oils. merc fill them up with Fuchs oils at the factory usually.
Spark plugs. I've gone off Bosch, but NGK are great, and so are Beru.

OP
S

STU120

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK 200
Thanks for the info guys.

Looks like it's Bosch for the fuel filter. I found it particularly interesting the fact that Bosch actually supply Mercedes.

When I spoke to Mercedes, at first I thought they were quoting me for a fuel pump rather than a fuel filter by mistake!

Thanks again,

Stu

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
That means if you buy a Bosch you will not get a cardboard box with Mercedes on it, that is a nice box for £45

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
Hi there,

I'm going to do some DIY and am seeking some advice.

I have priced both fuel filters and spark plugs, and here's what I found -

Fuel Filter
Guttmann £23.55
Bosch £38.24
Mercedes £83.38!

Spark Plugs(each)
Bosch £6.52
Denso £10.12
Mercedes £11.61

What is the real difference in terms of quality between the components above? The Mercedes fuel filter is over twice the price of the Bosch equivalent, and three times the price of the Guttmann!

Any advice on which components I should go with?

Cheers,

Stu

You are probably being quoted for the wrong filter for your particular model on those cheap items.

There is often problems with aftermarket parts being the wrong parts for the particular car.

If you do not mind hassle then no problem - let us know how you get on after the parts have been fitted - perhaps we can learn something.

LYNALL

Reaction score
Ive fitted a couple of different makes of fuel filters to mine and the wifes cars with no problems, the reason the filterspattern and genuine are so expensive is they contain the fuel pressure regulator for the single line sysyem.
Have measured fuel rail pressure runs at approx 55psi ish.

Lynall

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom