Fuel guage problems...

OneMadC240Owner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Did have W202 C-Class 98 2.4 V6; Now have W203 2003 C220 CDi Coupe
Hi All!

Bit odd this one - I filled my w202 yesterday afternoon, used it once after that (didn't have any issues, still showed full). However, got in this morning, turned her on. Fuel guage didn't move off the empty stop!! Slightly panicing as I didn't smell any fuel to denote a leak (I'm sure 60 litres plus of petrol would smell somewhat). Returning home tonight, the low fuel warning light comes on, the needle raises into that "zone", but then drops back....

Not exactly sure what is occuring, can anyone shed any light on this for me??:confused:

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S320 (W140) / 1998 / 3.2 Straight 6
horrible as it may sound, could someone have drained your tank for you ? maybe the local youth's ? I know you said there's no leak's on the floor but they could put everything back together so next time they can get more

OP
O

OneMadC240Owner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Did have W202 C-Class 98 2.4 V6; Now have W203 2003 C220 CDi Coupe
I don't think I could have driven the 25mile round trip to work today if they had, especially with the amount of gusto I drove home at....
. The indicator sits as though the ignition is off, which makes me think fuse (if there is one) or sender unit (but why now!?)
And besides, the "youth" round here wouldn't have the brains or where withall to do that, 'tis a small Somerset country town afterall.....;)

WG M-B

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 Wagon in black
Fuel sender units are a common cause of this on a 202. Try adding some fuel injection cleaner to the fuel tank. Sometimes it cleans the contacts on the sender. If this does not work it sounds like you will need a new sender unit.

Top Bottom