Fuel really makes a difference

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
My father always used Redex too, not sure whether it had any effect though and I am not sure whether he knew either :rolleyes::)

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
Also I give the car a dose of Redex when first purchased and every year thereafter. (Have done for decades).
(I also change the Oil, Oil Filter, Air Filter and Plugs - but primarily Redex first).
It does work!

Isn't the post at #15 rather conclusive, for petrol engines anyway, surely the rolling road results have to count for something?

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Must admit the weather makes the biggest difference to the way my car runs and if it has had a "good run" recently.

I as well use Costco's premium diesel and it seems fine but the only scientist in the car is me and my testing procedures are lets say a little lax.

The idea that Supermarkets have dirtier fuel does seem counter intuitive as they sell more so the tanks get "flushed" more often.
As its the same base fuel is there a suggestion that muck is added.

It sounds like the construct of an oil companies PR department.

In a country where the quaint belief you always get what you pay for is still dominant maybe people comfort themselves with premium prices.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Isn't the post at #15 rather conclusive, for petrol engines anyway, surely the rolling road results have to count for something?
No because it hasn't been properly conducted. To do it properly needs a control where nothing has been done.
The other things that can impact power are air pressure, humidity, air temperature, engine temperature, underbonnet temperature etc etc. By running a control you can see if external influences have been relevant.
Also if you watch the video they say they ran the Redex through for a week prior. That puts any runs a week apart and a lot can happen during a week.
Given the claim is that Redex removes carbon deposits a proper test is to strip an engine and look at the amount of carbon (you could use a borescope potentially). Run Redex for a period of time and then look at carbon deposits again.

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
No because it hasn't been properly conducted. To do it properly needs a control where nothing has been done.
The other things that can impact power are air pressure, humidity, air temperature, engine temperature, underbonnet temperature etc etc. By running a control you can see if external influences have been relevant.
Also if you watch the video they say they ran the Redex through for a week prior. That puts any runs a week apart and a lot can happen during a week.
Given the claim is that Redex removes carbon deposits a proper test is to strip an engine and look at the amount of carbon (you could use a borescope potentially). Run Redex for a period of time and then look at carbon deposits again.

Hmm, sounds as though 5th Gear also received a little 'lubrication' from Redex as well? :)

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
I buy packs of (4: I think) bottles of Redex Cleaner/Treatment (or whichever one they have on offer) in Costco and remember about 95% of the time to put in the approximate thimble amount each time I fill up. I really don't know if it's snake oil or not, but I feel like I'm "looking after" my engine. Apart from the one time when it went into a semi-limp mode (caused by a "boost pipe") I have no complaints about performance. I sort of expected more mpg but hovering around 31 mpg in a lump as big as my Estate is nothing to moan about. I buy ordinary diesel including from Costco when in town - and I've tried the premium fuel and didn't feel any difference. But I don't hang around very much on long journeys etc, thank you Occifer... :)

gassed up

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 C207 350CDI;2010 C207 350CDI sport;2010 SLK300;2004 C209 320;2000 C208 230K;
The quality or otherwise of petrol, diesel or my speciality LPG varies significantly depending upon the origin of the crude oil. Don't use propane that is refined from Venezuelan crude in your motor car. Problem is as ordinary punters we are not privy to that information. The point I'm making is that if you find one fuel superior to another then it probably isn't your imagination.

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
For anyone driving a predictable route every day, should be simple enough to track the mileage /consumption...Fill up 100% each time, and change filling stations for each fill. Track the consumption ( and price too) and see what it show's you after say 1 month.

RhodieBill

Reaction score
Central South Coast. (Previously Out of Africa).
Your Mercedes
2001 W208 CLK320 182U ALMANDINE-BLACK METALLIC
Well, The answer is really quite simple.

If you don't believe the test is accurate or believe it was biased, or simply don't like it don't blooming buy it - simples!

I never said it is 100% correct or professed that it works, all I said is I use it and have done for years. Nor am I telling anyone that they must use it....

I just hate it when people have to come along and try to attempt to disprove anything using their own personal beliefs. Just like bleeding vegans, not happy with themselves doing it but try to shove it down everyone else's throats!

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Well, The answer is really quite simple.

If you don't believe the test is accurate or believe it was biased, or simply don't like it don't blooming buy it - simples!

I never said it is 100% correct or professed that it works, all I said is I use it and have done for years. Nor am I telling anyone that they must use it....

I just hate it when people have to come along and try to attempt to disprove anything using their own personal beliefs. Just like bleeding vegans, not happy with themselves doing it but try to shove it down everyone else's throats!

Well that escalated quickly!
Nobody is saying it does or doesn't work, just that the testing process was flawed.

om613

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S202 C250TD, S123 240TD
The quality or otherwise of petrol, diesel or my speciality LPG varies significantly depending upon the origin of the crude oil. Don't use propane that is refined from Venezuelan crude in your motor car. Problem is as ordinary punters we are not privy to that information. The point I'm making is that if you find one fuel superior to another then it probably isn't your imagination.

Links please? Never heard of that...

Crude oil is all the same (dinosaur sludge), as is fractional distillation?

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
I use cheap supermarket diesel and just add a cetane enhancer . Premium fuel only hurts my wallet , and I can't tell the difference when I've tried it in the past

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
I use cheap supermarket diesel and just add a cetane enhancer . Premium fuel only hurts my wallet , and I can't tell the difference when I've tried it in the past

That is all I use, can't bring myself to pay premium fuel prices. I honestly cannot tell the difference. So much depends on your right foot !! :)

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

There is quite a difference in crude oils. Some crude is predominantly heavy oils while some is predominantly lighter oils.
Malaysia has the highest quality crude while Venezuela has some of the worst. Individual fields within a country can vary as well.

OP
Dean Fletcher

Dean Fletcher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E400
For anyone driving a predictable route every day, should be simple enough to track the mileage /consumption...Fill up 100% each time, and change filling stations for each fill. Track the consumption ( and price too) and see what it show's you after say 1 month.
I have done this in a way. I was using morrisons for about 6 weeks then e Friday night I fueled up at sainsburys and Hay presto the Monday morning drive gave much better readings I probably had around 1/8 of a tank of old stuff in there at the time. This week the tank should be all sainsburys and I'm getting even better results. Its the car that keeps on giving haha. 3 weeks ago I couldn't get it over 49mpg and I tried everyday. IMG_20191021_073152.jpg

gassed up

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 C207 350CDI;2010 C207 350CDI sport;2010 SLK300;2004 C209 320;2000 C208 230K;

My knowledge of this issue is based upon personal experience rather than internet research, or "googling"! The company I work for buys large quantities of bulk propane/butane and distributes it on a retail basis and trust me the customers never fail to let you know if there is a variation in the product. A number of years ago there was an issue with a major refiner supplying propane that was contaminated with what appeared to be microscopic traces of grease/tar. This accumulated in the LPG systems in customers vehicles creating some real issues. This wasn't exclusive to our company but was a nationwide problem and a lot of people on the LPG forums felt that they should seek recompense. I counselled that you would need very very deep pockets to try and take action against a huge multinational oil company, you would forever be shelling out.

robin.large

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS C63 AMG 2013
Having posted elsewhere doing the subjective seat of pants testing but with some consistency. My CLS C63 AMG 2014 should use 98.

But.....
Shell V Power makes feel too responsive (is there such a thing)
Tesco Momentum is better but still a little 'sharp'
Tesco Standard Unleaded is nicer drive.
MPG is pretty much the same for all.

But..... Sainsburies 97 is a nice drive and oddly gave me an added 2mpg on average.

Only rub is that Sainsburies don't have a station local to me...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

OP
Dean Fletcher

Dean Fletcher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E400
Having posted elsewhere doing the subjective seat of pants testing but with some consistency. My CLS C63 AMG 2014 should use 98.

But.....
Shell V Power makes feel too responsive (is there such a thing)
Tesco Momentum is better but still a little 'sharp'
Tesco Standard Unleaded is nicer drive.
MPG is pretty much the same for all.

But..... Sainsburies 97 is a nice drive and oddly gave me an added 2mpg on average.

Only rub is that Sainsburies don't have a station local to me...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
This is very interesting :D:D

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom