Fuel Starvation A Class 2005

OP
C

CarolineSomerset

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A Class 1.5 2005
There's quite a few boys that are good with colours as well... :)
errr no, you cant EVERYTHING! Next you'll be saying you lot can knit! Im just kidding of course :)

Last edited:

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
Thanks. It seems to be fuel related.
My first port of call would be cleaning the pins of the fuel pump relay. A relay is like a fuse that you pull out from a domestic electric fuse box.
When you get time, go to this website www.aclassinfo.co.uk. Click the W169 A Class button, which describes your car.
Look down the contents list for........ 7.Fuses/Relays Location. Go to that page and have a read.
If you feel up to it, pull out the relay shown in position K in the drawing at the end of the page. As you pull out the relay, note the orientation. You can put a mark on it saying 'top' or T.

OP
C

CarolineSomerset

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A Class 1.5 2005
Thanks. It seems to be fuel related.
My first port of call would be cleaning the pins of the fuel pump relay. A relay is like a fuse that you pull out from a domestic electric fuse box.
When you get time, go to this website www.aclassinfo.co.uk. Click the W169 A Class button, which describes your car.
Look down the contents list for........ 7.Fuses/Relays Location. Go to that page and have a read.
If you feel up to it, pull out the relay shown in position K in the drawing at the end of the page. As you pull out the relay, note the orientation. You can put a mark on it saying 'top' or T.
Wow that sounds brilliant! Thank you so much. I will try that tomorrow. Right now Im stripping walls as the house is under renovation, many's the time I've nearly run off in the car!...ha ha. I will report back when the job is done and let you know what difference it made. Thank Matt.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
There's quite a few boys that are good with colours as well... :)
And some boys who haven’t got a clue about the oily bits of a car (me included!) :(

OP
C

CarolineSomerset

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A Class 1.5 2005
When you have the relay in your hands, please take a picture before you clean the flat pins. Do not use any thing coarse to clean them, but you do want to make them nice and shi
When you have the relay in your hands, please take a picture before you clean the flat pins. Do not use any thing coarse to clean them, but you do want to make them nice and shiny.
Can you use washing up liquid?

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
No way. Do not get water anywhere near them.
I normally use a very fine sand paper.

OP
C

CarolineSomerset

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A Class 1.5 2005
What about WD40 or 3 in 1? I will get some fine sandpaper today, thank you

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
Neither.
You can use a pot scourer but be very gentle with it.

OP
C

CarolineSomerset

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A Class 1.5 2005
Hi Matt

LOTS of news, so I went to the link you sent me and his description almost had us running for the hills, removing panels and all sorts. However when I went to the car, just by the seat in the footwell, I lifted the small cover and BINGO, there it was No.7 / 25. I got it out and found some Halfords fine sandpaper at the back of the cupboard. Here are my before and after photos. It was super easy and when I went to start the car she started first time. However she was cold so I will take her out later to warm up and see what she does then. Thanks so much and fingers crossed.

Attachments

• Before-1.jpg
    Before-1.jpg
    324.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Before-2.jpg
    Before-2.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 5
  • After-1.jpg
    After-1.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 5
  • After-2.jpg
    After-2.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 5

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
Thank you for the brilliant photos. I am impressed with what you have done. But.....
that is the fuse. You want to do the same to the 'fuel pump relay' . It looks like a cube. On the chart I was referring to, it is shown as being in position K.
The number 7 is the 7 on the index. So click that line to go to the relevant page on the website.

OP
C

CarolineSomerset

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A Class 1.5 2005
Thank you for the brilliant photos. I am impressed with what you have done. But.....
that is the fuse. You want to do the same to the 'fuel pump relay' . It looks like a cube. On the chart I was referring to, it is shown as being in position K.
The number 7 is the 7 on the index. So click that line to go to the relevant page on the website.
Well Matt I was feeling pretty down hearted, I took the car out and even the 10 second rule didn't work. Only after 5 attempts did I get her to start, so I was pleased to see I got the wrong part ( I thought I may have but wasn't sure). We have the electricians in tomorrow so its going to be full on but I will try and find time to see if I can get to the 'fuel pump relay'.

OP
C

CarolineSomerset

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A Class 1.5 2005
Hi Matt, I thought I would update you, I don't really feel confident getting to the fuel relay, call me a wuss if you will, however I have booked my car in with Steve. I will of course update everyone once the problem is diagnosed. Thank you so much for your help so far.

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
I understand. Before I give you the results of my further research, please tell me a few things.
The mileage now to the nearest thousand.
The rough mileage when you bought the car.
What sort of things have been done to the car in that period.

OP
C

CarolineSomerset

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A Class 1.5 2005
An UPDATE:

Mattkh was RIGHT! It was the fuel pump relay...hoorah!

Apparently it was corroded and sending out intermittent sparks. I took the car to @Steve@Avantgarde in Clevedon and with a matter of hours it was fixed. He also solved the issue of my squeaky breaks. He gave me a print out of the what was done to fix the car and I would have typed it up here but temporarily I have mislaid the paper! As soon as I find it though I will pop up a post saying Fuel Starvation problem solved for those who may encounter the same issue, which apparently is a know weakness with my style of Mercedes. I cannot thank you guys enough for all your help and encouragement, Vive Le little sparky A Class.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom