Full size spare wheel - will it fit?

Jondi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 Estate 2011
I have a 61 plate C220 estate and recently experienced a puncture; this caused me to realise the 'spare' was totally inadequate for my needs.

Can anyone tell me if a full size alloy wheel will fit in the recess and permit both the tray and cover to be installed with it in place?

I recognise that I could remove a wheel and try it but given the problems this would cause me I thought a quick question may be the best route if others had already tried and resolved the problem already.

With thanks in anticipation.

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
A 7Jx16 H2 ET43 WHEEL carrying a 205/55R16 TYRE will just fit tray and all. Can't speak for the wider wheel/Tyre combos.

Last edited:
OP
J

Jondi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 Estate 2011
Many thanks for replying.

I believe my wheels are 7.5J x 17" (tyres are 225/45R17) but I could easily be wrong. If they are 7.5J it looks as if I will be out of luck and need to stay with the emergency spare as supplied. A pity as the rolling diameter will be the same regardless of width.

I could put a 225/45R17 tyre on a 7J wheel but this is not a recommended fit and may affect insurance, construction and use and possibly handling so would not be a wise option.

ernieh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi Q2 Sport, 2022, 1.5 Petrol
Would 16 in steel wheel as Grober above not be OK for you in an emergency...after all the emergency spare is 16 in...at least mine is?

Ernie

OP
J

Jondi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 Estate 2011
Yes, my spare is also 16". However it is the legal position of mixing 7.5 and 7.0 wheels that is the problem. Whilst I recognise it is possible to fit a 225 tyre to a 7J wheel, to my knowledge, it is not recommended and could be illegal. As for mixing different tyre widths, I think it could cause the same speed restrictions as when using the current spare; which I should like to overcome if possible.

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
The difference in rim width will be half an inch-- assuming the tyres " bulge" out about the same I reckon that you could manage to fit a 7.5 J wheel and tyre OK and still get the cover on flat if you lost the polystyrene tray which doesn't carry much anyway. Only way is to try it with one of your wheels??

OP
J

Jondi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 Estate 2011
You#re right. I was trying the lazy way out but it looks as if I need to practise my wheel changing technique and do a practical assessment.

Thanks for all your help.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom