funny smell after using air con on previous trips. W202 c class.

agadza

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mercedes c200
Hi Guys, I notice a bad smell, a bit like a wet carpet, each time after I run the a/c. To be more precise, when I use the a/c for a trip, and then switch it off for the next trip right afterwards, I:confused: get this smell. My model is the kind with the a/c permanently running. You need to use the "econ" switch to turn it off. Any ideas anyone?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
If you change the filters and get a aircon anti bacteria kit from Halfords it will solve the problem

OP
A

agadza

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mercedes c200
is it a diy-able job or do i need a visit to the garage?

OP
A

agadza

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mercedes c200
any chance of some guidance, then? its a c class c 200 w202. thanks in advance.

JEZ.S320L

Reaction score
Website
www.latorreonline.es
Your Mercedes
Lincoln Navigator and a S320L Business Edition
any chance of some guidance, then? its a c class c 200 w202. thanks in advance.

Not sure about your filter change.

As far as the treatment was concerned. I simply followed the instructions on the tin (it's aerosol which you simply switch on and leave in the car with the aircon running) - hey presto! No more smells :D

Last edited:

HERBIEMERCMAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
97. E300.TD. 7 SEAT.ELEGANCE. EST.TOYOTA SUPRA MK4. RS. VAUX. CORSA.GLS AUTO. SPORT.
yes, take out the filters and then put the fan on boost and spray for 30 secs. with any proprietory anti-bacterial spray, from supermarkets etc. same stuff used for killing mould in bathrooms, in the air intake between the bonnet and the windscreen.

total cost much less than halfords.

then replace filters.

also try to use your aircon at least once per month, all the year round, just for one minute, just enough to wet the viton "o" ring seals to avoid recharging the system with zylene at £70 a go.. herbiemercman.

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Hi,
If you follow the link below it gives you a step by step guide on how to replace the pollen filter on a W202, regarding the smell, just go into halfords and buy their A/C Anti bacterial kit, you simply move the front passenger seat as far forward as you can, select the A/C and put it on re-circ, (engine running) put can on the floor behind passenger seat activate it, get out of the car with all windows shut, leave for 10-15 minutes, open car and air it out by opening the windows for a bit.
Job done.
http://202tech.mkosonen.com/howto/blower.html

OP
A

agadza

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mercedes c200
Many thanks guys. Will give it a go this weekend and let you know how it goes.

OP
A

agadza

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mercedes c200
Hi Guys, Apologies for the delay in getting back. I did not get to do this till this morning.
Problem solved. I did it the herbiemercman way with the anti bacterial spray down the air intake (incidentally the active component is the same as what is in the Halfords spray). Many thanks to you all.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom