Future Purchase Advice please

E

euphony290

Just joined the Forum and finding it a little confusing to get around it all. I am looking, this year, to replace my Laguna with a Merc. General advice and info required from any contributors please.

I am interested in a C-Class 200/220, diesel estate, between 2004-2006. (I live in France and so would prefer a LHD but, as the RHD's are much more reasonably priced, I am tempted to go for RHD.

Questions:

1 Average service costs (and service intervals) from MB dealers.
2 Average mpg on manual v auto?
3 Any potential faults to watch out for on these models?
4 What are the differences between the Classic, Authentique, CDi etc?
5 Reliability?

I'd be pleased to hear from owners with experience of these issues.

Must get back to finding my way through the site. Thanks in anticipation.
euphony290

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
Just joined the Forum and finding it a little confusing to get around it all. I am looking, this year, to replace my Laguna with a Merc. General advice and info required from any contributors please.

I am interested in a C-Class 200/220, diesel estate, between 2004-2006. (I live in France and so would prefer a LHD but, as the RHD's are much more reasonably priced, I am tempted to go for RHD.

Questions:

1 Average service costs (and service intervals) from MB dealers.
2 Average mpg on manual v auto?
3 Any potential faults to watch out for on these models?
4 What are the differences between the Classic, Authentique, CDi etc?
5 Reliability?

I'd be pleased to hear from owners with experience of these issues.

Must get back to finding my way through the site. Thanks in anticipation.
euphony290

Hi, the RHDs are more reasonably priced but for a good reason is that an LHD car is much more suitable for driving in France.

Do you ever drive in the UK, or solely in France. If so, I'd beg, borrow, steal the extra funds to secure a car thats LHD and suitable for driving in France. Remember, its not just the steering wheel thats in the wrong side, but the main speedo is in MPH, not KMPH, and various other little things.

CDi is common rail diesel. I assume that as diesel is cheaper than petrol in France and that diesels are more efficient you are only considering a diesel engine. 90% of MBs in the UK are diesel, I imagine this is nearer 99% in mainland europe.

The C220cdi or C270cdi are your best bets, forget the C200cdi. Both cars can achieve well over 50mpg and if driven carefully break 60mpg. The 270cdi is a 2.7 litre 5 clyinder engine, the 220cdi a 2.1 4 clyinder engine. Both are very frugal, but the 270cdi is not EU4, so this may have implications for you. A manual will add 2-3mpg but in an MB you'll lose more when you sell it, than you'll save in fuel.

Potential faults are mainly suspension issues, the years of cars you are looking at will a) be galvanised b) nano paint. Try for a facelift car if you can which has a lot of good updates and is just "better".

Classic is a basic trim, elegance more comfort oriented, and avantgarde more sporty.

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
I have a facelift (the facelift was mid 04) C270CDi. Agree with most of the above but don't think you'll get 50MPG in everyday use - for shortish journeys and around town, it'll be doing more like low 30's. Longer (say 15miles) gentle runs will show low 40's. It'll only do 50MPG+ on long very gentle journeys.

Sevicing is variable and depends on the type of journeys the car is used for, but you should get around 15,000 miles between service. Services alternate between A (oil change and some checks) and B (oil change, pollen filter and more serious checks) and, in the UK, cost around £250 (A) and £450 (B). They are often discounted though and I gather servicing is cheaper in france anyway. Thing to watch out for is that on top on the basic servicing, much other work is extra cost. The car needs brake fluid changing every 2 year, 2005 and newer cars need auto trans fluid changing once at 37,500miles or 4 years. Things like air and fuel filters need changing now and again and are quite expensive.

Regarding the LHD/RHD thing - RHD cars are cheaper as the UK has very low used car prices. Used cars are much more expensive elsewhere in Europe - I've never understood why.

Last edited:
OP
E

euphony290

Many thanks st4 and Rory; very helpful and informative advice. I will be in France 99% of the time as we live here now. I would certainly prefer the LHD to use over here but the difference in price is very noticeable.

I didn't think the auto-box would be more favourable, especially when the mpg is less; one reason I have always gone for manual, however I can understand that on a more choice make of car that option would befit the type of performance and ride.

I hope one or two more replies may be forthcoming as every one adds a little more to the mix.

One question I meant to ask, and forgot about was - do the MB's have headlight adjustments that can take you from RHD to LHD without replacing the headlamp units?

There is one thing I don't understand. Being new to the Forum I expected my post to be in the 'general' section. I can't find it anywhere on the site except going into my own members details section and then clicking on the post/s that I have contributed. It suggested that my post was under General Mercedes-Benz Related Discussion, but I couldn't find it there. It really is a difficult site to find your way round, especially when you are a new member.
Anyway thanks again; I'm very grateful.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
You will only find your post when someone has replied to it, so no replies and you will not see it. if you go to the general page it is there all of the time.

Re the lamps with Xenon most are switchable

Autos on MB are the best by a long way and this will not alter your fuel consumption by much,if at all.

After 2004 you get good bodywork, the 220 is great, but the 270 is better in the power to weight ratio, and virtually the same on fuel

OP
E

euphony290

Thank you gents; some good and useful info here. I wish I could sit down with you guys and chat about these cars for an hour-or-two, over a bottle of french wine perhaps.

Not sure if I am allowed this but we have holiday accommodation in Normandy if anyone is interested in holidaying in this beautiful region of France. Give us an Email or something.

Thanks again
euphony290

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
Re the lamps with Xenon most are switchable

Malcolm
Is this a mechanical switch or electronic and is it something that we can do or does it have to be done with a star thingybob

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
Thank you gents; some good and useful info here. I wish I could sit down with you guys and chat about these cars for an hour-or-two, over a bottle of french wine perhaps.

You can if you make the trip over to portsmouth on the 16th May where Olly lets us see his workshop and feeds us, then we go for a big feed afterwards. My trip is over 450 miles, yours is less than that and a mere short trip in the ferry/hovercraft or in the tunnel.

Are you any closer to buying a car? The W203 facelift C class is a good car and a popular car here.

If I am ever heading to France I'll drop you a PM re accomodation.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom