Garage Horror!

alanbp

Reaction score
After trying a number of garages to change a rear wheel bearing on my W201 (I knew it was a bad job - hence not attemping it myself)

Got the car back £200 lighter in the wallet, and notice that it had developed a brake judder, like when I had rusty rear discs a few years ago (they were replaced in 2006) Took off the OFR wheel and dsicovered the upper control arm at the 2 o'clock position was hanging off!!!!:shock: The "bolt" was almost out but the nut was missing - also the old driveshaft nut had been reused and not peened!! To say I was not amused was an understatement - took it back and the arm has been bolted back, although the old DS nut is still there.

Any way replaced the disc (in my other thread) but no sign of less judder. It definitely feels like discs but is there anything else at the rear suspension that would give a similar feel?

I only used the garage as they are very handy and are a registered MOT test station.

Needless to say they won't be seeing any of my cars again!!

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
needless to say you wont be returning there, or giving them a recommendation. Such shoddy, dangerous workmanship

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Second post this week about bolts left out on brakes etc,,a terrible situation

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
seems like nowadays everyone is in a rush to get the job done, usually to make bonus if they do a job quicker than workshop set time, by taking short cuts. thats 1 reason my last garage employer parted company. he wanted jobs rushed. i wouldnt i wanted things done right. eventually he forced me to rush and similar mistakes started to occur, although not quite so severe. im afraid i was taught by an 'old school' foreman when i was an apprentice. the philosiphy was 'forget the time, do the job right 1st time' and im sure that many people would prefer garages to go back to that method of working. problems were virtually unheard of back then! and if garages paid their mechanics better instead of paying some dealer principle 100k+ a year and seeming to do very little, there would be no need for bonus schemes, jobs would be done properly, and ultimately the garage would make MORE money, as thered be very few jobs theyd have to rectify/repair due to it not being done right the first time!

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom