1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
OP
00slk

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
The delay saga continues :mad:
Not only did the building supply company under quote by at least £2000 in materials, the scaffolder too didn't grasp the build height :rolleyes:
Going to be nearly 2 weeks before the next height can be added by the scaffolder so the brickie's can finish off the gables.
Had a moan at the supplier who basically said they can't quote for under ground works, because they don't know what depth and thickness will be needed so only an estimate. o_O This is over ground for the Blocks and Bricks I said. They will look into this as I was able to let them know the details etc.
Typical just when the bricklayers are cracking on with it and the weather looked good this week.
Fingers crossed then for Christmas 2021. :(
Rant over :rolleyes:

BassMerc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC 250 AMG Premium
Bit late in the day and probably not helpful at this stage. But one solution to manhandling large steels is to forget joists or universal beams and to have a pair of channels bolted back to back in situ. The combined section is probably a bit over-engineered but each channel is significantly lighter than a beam and capable of being lifted by three or four men (of course!).

WDB124066

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1996 E320 Sportline Cabriolet X 2
I don't mean to kick you when you are down but Trades know exactly how far to push a client and when for the extra money they deliberately didn't quote so they could win the job in the first place. It is all part of their narcissism. And they are experts at it.
It is called ethics, their ethics, not yours or anybody else's.

The roofer I had here was a classic, he very proudly told me he cold "tell his customers anything mate and they'll believe it". Bingo. A 8ullshitter right there. I am getting good at interviewing them, one tiny sniff = bye, but do it nicely because they will ring their mates and run the place over if you don't. Try to lull them into a false sense of confidence so they will spill some beans, don't show them any toys, don't dress well and don't comb your hair before meeting them, drop a shot and breathe all over them. Let it be known very subtlety that your wife's sister is a hell bent bicth Lawyer and that has turned you off women working, or some such thing, if they are still standing there after 10 mins without coming up with some BS of their own you just might be on to something. I have an engine balancer and an electrician that will work for me, either they manage things on my behalf or the rest I do myself no matter how long it takes or what tools I have to buy. :):) More recently I do my own electric, get him in to check the work and tie it in if it is ok. The plumbing supplier caught on to this and tried to stop me from purchasing plumbing bits at their store. So go find a plumbing store that will support you, they tend to give far better service and if I get stuck they are just a call away for advice and a come on down to the store for a coffee and we'll have the bits ready for you. It does take a lot longer but you learn a new trade and you know it is done the way you'd like it done. I'm pretty good at silver soldering now after paying $15 per bend for olives. Now I'm going to try it on some Cast Iron for a stove repair - it might melt with the fire but we will soon see, and on it goes... Keep the "tradesmen" out of your life, nobody needs their carp as well as the normal stuff that goes on everyday in your life.

How would it be if you told them because you couldn't ID what needed doing off the plans that the contract is over, and start again with someone else...?
Don't be afraid to do that if you can, just tell him I was really looking for a builder who knew what a rafter was. Then breathe on them, tell them they have driven you to drink and in the past you had to give up the booze on a judges ruling because you turned violent once and stabbed someone's dog. Hit them with their BS. It is stunning to see the look on their face. Take the chain out of the chainsaw and crank it up half way through the conversation, then give a huge sigh of relief saying that feels better, now where's the f ing neighbour. They should run without any problem, then start again. Actually have a look at Faulty Towers on the builders, classic!! Employ the neighbour to come up with a silly out burst like "the last 50 kgs we had to bring in through Cuba and we told you what would happen if we had to use Cuba again - and another thing, those cheap Kalashnikovs were just f***ing that, bl00dy cheap!!!! Or do it on a phone call, something like this...

Endless possibilities but get rid of them and start over, they are taking the **** and it is about time you took theirs.

Last edited:
OP
00slk

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Bit late in the day and probably not helpful at this stage. But one solution to manhandling large steels is to forget joists or universal beams and to have a pair of channels bolted back to back in situ. The combined section is probably a bit over-engineered but each channel is significantly lighter than a beam and capable of being lifted by three or four men (of course!).

Hindsight, if only :rolleyes:
It's all been done through a structural engineer to design. Much more than I could do, along with the actual build. I can build a car though :D

OP
00slk

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I don't mean to kick you when you are down but Trades know exactly how far to push a client and when for the extra money they deliberately didn't quote so they could win the job in the first place. It is all part of their narcissism. And they are experts at it.
It is called ethics, their ethics, not yours or anybody else's.

The roofer I had here was a classic, he very proudly told me he cold "tell his customers anything mate and they'll believe it". Bingo. A 8ullshitter right there. I am getting good at interviewing them, one tiny sniff = bye, but do it nicely because they will ring their mates and run the place over if you don't. Try to lull them into a false sense of confidence so they will spill some beans, don't show them any toys, don't dress well and don't comb your hair before meeting them, drop a shot and breathe all over them. Let it be known very subtlety that your wife's sister is a hell bent bicth Lawyer and that has turned you off women working, or some such thing, if they are still standing there after 10 mins without coming up with some BS of their own you just might be on to something. I have an engine balancer and an electrician that will work for me, either they manage things on my behalf or the rest I do myself no matter how long it takes or what tools I have to buy. :):) More recently I do my own electric, get him in to check the work and tie it in if it is ok. The plumbing supplier caught on to this and tried to stop me from purchasing plumbing bits at their store. So go find a plumbing store that will support you, they tend to give far better service and if I get stuck they are just a call away for advice and a come on down to the store for a coffee and we'll have the bits ready for you. It does take a lot longer but you learn a new trade and you know it is done the way you'd like it done. I'm pretty good at silver soldering now after paying $15 per bend for olives. Now I'm going to try it on some Cast Iron for a stove repair - it might melt with the fire but we will soon see, and on it goes... Keep the "tradesmen" out of your life, nobody needs their carp as well as the normal stuff that goes on everyday in your life.

How would it be if you told them because you couldn't ID what needed doing off the plans that the contract is over, and start again with someone else...?
Don't be afraid to do that if you can, just tell him I was really looking for a builder who knew what a rafter was. Then breathe on them, tell them they have driven you to drink and in the past you had to give up the booze on a judges ruling because you turned violent once and stabbed someone's dog. Hit them with their BS. It is stunning to see the look on their face. Take the chain out of the chainsaw and crank it up half way through the conversation, then give a huge sigh of relief saying that feels better, now where's the f ing neighbour. They should run without any problem, then start again. Actually have a look at Faulty Towers on the builders, classic!! Employ the neighbour to come up with a silly out burst like "the last 50 kgs we had to bring in through Cuba and we told you what would happen if we had to use Cuba again - and another thing, those cheap Kalashnikovs were just f***ing that, bl00dy cheap!!!! Or do it on a phone call, something like this...

Endless possibilities but get rid of them and start over, they are taking the **** and it is about time you took theirs.

Thanks WDB124066 that lightened my mood :)

Everyone assumed with this build, because trusses are the norm, but we are Kiwi's and want it done different to suit our needs ;)

It was like trying to buy a house in the UK, go to an estate agent and give them details, 3/4 bed, detached, separate dining, laundry, conservatory and must have a garage and off street parking!
You then are shown a semi, 2 bed, kitchen/diner no laundry and no garage and double yellow lines outside the front door! Believe it or not that was the first house we were given the details too. :rolleyes:

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Hindsight, if only :rolleyes:
It's all been done through a structural engineer to design. Much more than I could do, along with the actual build. I can build a car though :D
or a submarine..... :)

WDB124066

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1996 E320 Sportline Cabriolet X 2
There is a lesson there and that is don't take it all too seriously, as much as I need to learn that lesson myself. It often pays to have a good laugh - natures real reset.
It will all work out eventually and after it is all over you'll look back on it with pride I am sure. In the meantime just keep imagining what it will look like when finished.

OP
00slk

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
There is a lesson there and that is don't take it all too seriously, as much as I need to learn that lesson myself. It often pays to have a good laugh - natures real reset.
It will all work out eventually and after it is all over you'll look back on it with pride I am sure. In the meantime just keep imagining what it will look like when finished.

So true, so true :)

You wouldn't believe it but this is our third garage/house extension since 2011, obviously on 3 different houses. We'll try and stay put after this one though :rolleyes:

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hi did start it! He will now say 'my work is done' :rolleyes:
My work here is done...

We're waiting for him, aren't we John? :coffee:
I was walking to Morrisons for a Java... the Java making operative had just gone on their lunch break so no java :( that is an indication of how well (or not) my day is going...:(:(:(:(

OP
00slk

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My work here is done...

I was walking to Morrisons for a Java... the Java making operative had just gone on their lunch break so no java :( that is an indication of how well (or not) my day is going...:(:(:(:(

I feel for you, that is shocking news. I know what it is like to have a bad day Rus :eek:

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I feel for you, that is shocking news. I know what it is like to have a bad day Rus :eek:
Reviewing a 45 page Construction H&S plan and whoever wrote it hasn't followed any of the policies or procedures I've written... So I've to go through point by point and highlight the issues. That is another high point of the day...

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Had a similar nightmare on Tuesday Rus......

We had an SGS inspection booked for goods going to Tanzania. At the last minute someone thought I might like to review the documentation before the (remote) inspection at 11am...
- we had sent them the wrong standard to inspect against
- we had not marked the product to any standard
- we had then sent them the outdated version of the correct standard after being pointed out
- we had packed said items in a crate which made it impossible to inspect (probably a good thing)
- we had booked the freight anyway for the afternoon, even though guaranteed no CoC /Inspection report could be generated on time- time challenged due to letter of credit

Busy few hours but we did solve it and the goods left TODAY (no way I was shipping to Tanzania without pre government inspection ).

Stress we can all do without because there is a generation who have limited attention to detail.......:mad: rant over

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Had a similar nightmare on Tuesday Rus......

We had an SGS inspection booked for goods going to Tanzania. At the last minute someone thought I might like to review the documentation before the (remote) inspection at 11am...
- we had sent them the wrong standard to inspect against
- we had not marked the product to any standard
- we had then sent them the outdated version of the correct standard after being pointed out
- we had packed said items in a crate which made it impossible to inspect (probably a good thing)
- we had booked the freight anyway for the afternoon, even though guaranteed no CoC /Inspection report could be generated on time- time challenged due to letter of credit

Busy few hours but we did solve it and the goods left TODAY (no way I was shipping to Tanzania without pre government inspection ).

Stress we can all do without because there is a generation who have limited attention to detail.......:mad: rant over
TLDR... ;)

That's the problem, "cut and paste" then quick scan and send. All fine until something goes wrong then you;re in front of the guy with the funny wig and no ones laughing... :(

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
So true, so true :)

You wouldn't believe it but this is our third garage/house extension since 2011, obviously on 3 different houses. We'll try and stay put after this one though :rolleyes:
3rd one...so this one when finished, should be the creme de la creme of sheds!!! :D

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
TLDR... ;)

That's the problem, "cut and paste" then quick scan and send. All fine until something goes wrong then you;re in front of the guy with the funny wig and no ones laughing... :(
Yup, not like it's anything important, just 10" diameter 25 bar liquefied gas hoses..... :rolleyes: - it's all very well making them well but you surely need to get the rest right? :mad:

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom