Gear box C180 auto probs

stars3

Reaction score
Hi all please be gentle I'm a newbie!
Can someone help please?
Are you all sitting comfortable? Itook my 02 C180 Auto to a non Mercedes Garage(recommended by some one) for a service,MOT and for them to look and rectify a flat spot I had when pulling away from a standstill,The mechanic stated the MAF box had failed and would renew it.When I had the car back it was worse than ever with an added whistle sound! I took it back and he said the MAF was faulty(I found out later he fitted a non-merc part which he replaced with a merc one)he also said he had to change the oil in the box and replace the filter as that was making the whistle sound.He then remarked "oh by the way we had problem with the box and lost all the gears but it seems ok now" I have never ever had problems with the gears before!
I took it home and the flat spot was still there!When I phoned to tell him he hadnt cured it he suggested I keep for a few days and see if it sorts it self out!!!After 2 weeks without a car I said yes however the next day I drove to work got about 4 miles into the journey got to a junction and lost all gears!
Any Ideas guys P.sgears fine when cold!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
If the garage did not know MB's how did he change the gearbox fluid, what did he use as the replacement fluid, did he drain it all or only 3 liters, did he have the correct dip stick for doing this job. The gearbox cannot make a whistling sound, or at least not to my knowledge.

Many questions here unanswered

OP
S

stars3

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Malcolm,I trusted him because he said he has had three MBs and there were pictures on his office wall with them and him,I'm starting to think I've been suckered!I will be honest with you my knowledge of modern cars could be written on the back of a postage stamp!I think I'm going to have it transported to a reputable auto-box garage tomorrow,oh well only £600 down the drain and the car worse than ever!
Further info I have gained tonight is that he has had it on a star machine ?!? and it is saying something about a N15 E.T.C. control unit faulty

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Thanks for the reply Malcolm,I trusted him because he said he has had three MBs and there were pictures on his office wall with them and him,I'm starting to think I've been suckered!I will be honest with you my knowledge of modern cars could be written on the back of a postage stamp!I think I'm going to have it transported to a reputable auto-box garage tomorrow,oh well only £600 down the drain and the car worse than ever!
Further info I have gained tonight is that he has had it on a star machine ?!? and it is saying something about a N15 E.T.C. control unit faulty

I do not see why the ECU for the box would have gone faulty,,would you care to name the one that did the work.

OP
S

stars3

Reaction score
Malcom I think its only gentlemanly to let this auto box company look at it and then if they feel He's made a pigs ear of it I will name and shame!once again thanks for the help

OP
S

stars3

Reaction score
Yes Jet Tech I think your right,I've learnt the hard way!
I'm going down this morning armed with some of the info you kind fellows have supplied and see what he comes up with?
I'm going to tell him either get it sorted or I will take it to MBs and on their findings he will have to foot the bill and if he refuses I will seek legal help and contact trading standards

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
Would N15 have a stored error from when there was low Oil pressure? If so, a re-adaptation may put things back to normal. just guessing here of course

OP
S

stars3

Reaction score
Like I have said before my knowledge of cars is very limited,you may be right I will let this other company look at it these have come with avery high reccomendation from several people.
Just a little update I did ask him how he changed the gearbox oil he stated they are the same as any other car! I just took drain plug out,drained it and then removed the sump replaced the filter and put it back together and filled upto to M.B's reccomendations!!!

MB TECH WARRINGTON

Reaction score
sounds like its low on oil to me. Mercedes recommendations????

In my training courses in milton keynes i was never taught to fill to recommendations.

There are guidelines to capacities etc, but checking exactly on a dipstick at correct temp is essential, he may also have severely overfilled it.

Let us know how you get on

Last edited:

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom