Gear Box Resetting

Grotbag

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2015 C220 Estate Sport Premium AND 2005 CLK 200K Convertible Avantgarde
I've been reading various posts regarding fuel economy and it has been suggested that if you reset the gearbox, the car learns your style of driving and therefore will be more efficient

I have looked at this video as to how to do it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkNGe3q_dnM

I am thinking about doing this for my 10 year old CLK.

Is this correct or am I risking doing some damage here?

Regards

Richard

nyx

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w210 1998 e240 saloon
i do it to mine every few weeks. just livens the changes the up a little. worth doing id say

OP
Grotbag

Grotbag

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Does it make a difference if you are on C or S model?

Also if you do alot of town driving and plan to go on a long motorway trip, should you reset at the start of the trip?

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
For those of us who can't view the vid (at work), how does one reset the G/B?

OP
Grotbag

Grotbag

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
This is what he said. Not sure it needed a video!

1. Turn on ignition 2 clicks (don't start engine)
2. Press Gas pedal to floor for 5 seconds
3. Keep Gas pedal to floor and turn off ignition
4. Wait 2 minutes
5. Start car

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Ah, thanks very much. I'll give it a go.

nyx

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w210 1998 e240 saloon
i was told keep pedal to floor for 15 secs. turn off ignition and lift off gas pedal. have ALL elecs off inc int lights and fan etc

britnordic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2006 SLK 200 & 2013 E Class 220
Hi all, does anyone know if this reset applies to 2013 7 speed? Mine was purchased from a MB dealer a couple of months ago and wondered if they reset before selling?
Will also try it on our R171 Slk 200 (2006)

Many thanks and Merry Christmas to All

Tony

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Hate to tell you all but this has been proven many times now that this doesn't change anything at all in the gearbox adaptions........its just a myth...

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dohh! Thanks Cole, you just blew away my dreams of some extra (mythical) available power! :( ;)

britnordic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2006 SLK 200 & 2013 E Class 220
So, is it also a myth that the Gearbox adapts to your style of driving?

Tony

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Only to a slight amount, hence you can catch them out some times...

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The gearbox only has a tiny memory, and most of that is used up as you are driving, it is as Colin says.

Ken_R

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 2006 C230 Estate
On the subject of gearboxes, on my C230 Auto, (in Comfort mode) I'm finding that when slowing in traffic, it changes down, and decelerates, and then changes down, and decelerates, and then.........

I'm finding that I'm almost coming to a halt about 20 yards before I want to.:eek: Is this normal?

With my previous car, a Focus Auto, it tended to 'roll on' but still be in a gear to engage drive if required.

Being a former SAFED instructor and IAM Volunteer Observer, I'm finding it somewhat annoying that I have to use additional acceleration/fuel in order to 'land' where I expected to be.:)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
On the subject of gearboxes, on my C230 Auto, (in Comfort mode) I'm finding that when slowing in traffic, it changes down, and decelerates, and then changes down, and decelerates, and then.........

I'm finding that I'm almost coming to a halt about 20 yards before I want to.:eek: Is this normal?

With my previous car, a Focus Auto, it tended to 'roll on' but still be in a gear to engage drive if required.

Being a former SAFED instructor and IAM Volunteer Observer, I'm finding it somewhat annoying that I have to use additional acceleration/fuel in order to 'land' where I expected to be.:)

Do try the car in the C mode where this is far less prominent.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500

Sounds odd, the way you describe is more like sport, when there's much more engine braking available, drive another one of the same spec and see if its the same.

Mind you you're describing a front drive auto. (If indeed it was an auto? and not the dual clutch "power shift" focus which is a manual with a computer do in the clutch). "Conventional" front drive autos are just awful rubbish, there's' not much room to do the job properly and the experts don't waste their time on front drive. So they've never been developed well in my experience.

My first omega had very little engine braking and I loved it,. The current one has something that knows when its on a hill and starts this rubbish downshifting I don't like, its totally unnecessary.

My BM 335d had an awful box till the software was upgraded and it was transformed in to an almost normal auto, still too keen to change down. In manual it was a far better car, if you pulled the paddles at 2000 rpm on the way up and remembered to never do the down changes, then far later than in auto, it would downshift to perfection !

Another point worth remembering, latest cars are starting to remove engine braking to improve MPG. Stuff in last two years with stop start and other tech can disconnect drive on the over run. Interesting the way laws are flexed by modern automotive engineering. My understanding is this is illegal. But then again cars where running plastic fuel tanks when if you tried this on a motorcycle it would fail its MOT.

Last edited:

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
Do try the car in the C mode where this is far less prominent.

comfort mode IS c mode isnt it Malcolm?

i have to say, i think id be inclined to just begin to slow that bit later to compensate! also the focus could have been a CVT auto, which has different characteristics to drive than a 'normal' auto. the later 'powershift' ford autobox will probably be more similar in characteristics to the MB auto than the older CVT ford autobox

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
comfort mode IS c mode isnt it Malcolm?

i have to say, i think id be inclined to just begin to slow that bit later to compensate! also the focus could have been a CVT auto, which has different characteristics to drive than a 'normal' auto. the later 'powershift' ford autobox will probably be more similar in characteristics to the MB auto than the older CVT ford autobox

Yes, on the 7g box there is a big difference with respect to engine braking in the C mode, less so on the 722.6, but still there.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Larger engines have more engine braking than smaller ones as well.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom