Gearbox Electric plate

wemr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E500 2004
I have a E500. Twice in the past 4-6 weeks it has, after stopping at lights, lost power. It goes, but slowly. If I turn off engine and start again it is fine.

The fault has been diagnosed with as the electric plate in the gear box.

My question is, considering that the problem is only happening rarely, would I be ok to keep driving for awhile, or should I get it fixed ASAP?

It would be much more convenient for me to put it off for a few weeks.

Also, would it help if I used tiptronic when coming to lights? Would this make any difference.

Thanks

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
I had the same problem on my S203. The Mobilo tech who came out and diagnosed the problem said I could leave it, no damage will be done to the 'box by waiting to fix it but the rate at which it tripped out (so to speak!) would only increase.

There is the addition risk of possible accident by not being able to pull away smartly.

OP
W

wemr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E500 2004
I had the same problem on my S203. The Mobilo tech who came out and diagnosed the problem said I could leave it, no damage will be done to the 'box by waiting to fix it but the rate at which it tripped out (so to speak!) would only increase.

There is the addition risk of possible accident by not being able to pull away smartly.

Thanks

What did you do, did you leave it for a while, or did you fix it pronto?

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
I got it fixed the following week. I didn't like not knowing if I could pull out into traffic safely!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The job is about £325 with a good indie and you get the box fluid changed at the same time, so a free service :rolleyes:

OP
W

wemr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E500 2004
Would using tiptronic when pulling away from lights etc be likely to help or am being a bit too hopeful?

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
It would make no difference, in my experience! :shock:

Last edited:

pipmk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350cdi Sport cabriolet
I had mine go in the outside lane of the M1 on a Bank Holiday Friday evening, a real brown trouser moment which you do not want to experience.
This weeks handy hint: do not let MB Leeds fix it, they had 24 hours previously.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom