Gearbox query...

dudeonline

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 2015 350cdi Premium Plus
Hello, I've got a 57 plate CLS 320cdi and I've a couple of queries regarding the gearbox..

If I nail it... when it gets up to the last gear change (I think its the last) it feels like a double change or doing something mechanical for longer than the other changes.

2nd query is I get the occasional rougher than normal change down, particularly if I'm braking at the same time. Most of the time it's ok and smooth. Car has done 48K.

Many thanks in advance!

Last edited:

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Usual recommendations..

• Check ATF level
  • Get the car on STAR and read off any error codes
  • Renew ATF and filter

OP
D

dudeonline

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
needs an engine and box update too.

But they are not the best transmissions the 7g boxes

Do you mean a firmware update? and by 'not the best' do you mean this could be normal behaviour for this box?! :)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The box should have had a fluid change at 37k miles, this is a standard service item. You need someone good with STAR re adapt it

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Do you mean a firmware update? and by 'not the best' do you mean this could be normal behaviour for this box?! :)

Most are very good, in fact very very good like mine and most others, the odd one does get some jerky changes more so with the smaller engines.

With a guy who knows what he is doing and can be corrected.

OP
D

dudeonline

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I think the car was serviced independently before reaching 37k so this could be needed if it was missed. I need to find someone with the knowledge and equipment localish to me. I live in Hilperton, just outside Trowbridge..

The jerks are not major major, and are not all the time. The odd double-feeling change when nailing it, seems to only be when nailing it.

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It may not be that easy to find someone good locally with this

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OP
D

dudeonline

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for all the help guys.. I'll let you know the outcome! :)

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver

My indie says (and they advise the official club) to update the engine and gearbox software at the same time.

7g boxes in my experience from 3litre. Diesels to 5500cc V8s can give jerky changes

OP
D

dudeonline

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My indie says (and they advise the official club) to update the engine and gearbox software at the same time.

7g boxes in my experience from 3litre. Diesels to 5500cc V8s can give jerky changes

Thanks for asking for me.. I am getting the gearbox oil and filter done, plus the software update, then taking it from there.. Hopefully that will sort it! I only bought the car about 3 weeks ago, and I didn't notice anything on the test drive, so its not like it does it all the time every time.. (apart from the weird extended change when pushed hard at the top end).

Carabosse

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C300 AMG Sport Line Premium Plus Coupe (C205)
You need the engine software update to go with the new box software. Those 7g boxes are really electonrically complex

Tell me about it! Even the experts at GAD couldn't remove my DPF without that giving me transmission problems!

Pathfinder

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLC 220 CDi Sport Diesel Year 2008
It may be something simpler not requiring any of the above upgrades.

Pathfinder

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLC 220 CDi Sport Diesel Year 2008

Yes, Mercparts are very good, local to me and have given me free advice on more than one occasion.

OP
D

dudeonline

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well folks, I forgot to update everyone.. I've now had gearbox oil and filter done and a software update, done by Merc, with adaptations removed. Its now 95% sorted..

It does give a early morning rough change when slowing down at junctions a few times, but once warm is virtually problem free.. Its way better than it was.. Sytner Merc were very good about it to be honest. The software update was free. Its worse if I haven't driven the car for two or three days, but again, once warm its 95%+ problem free.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom