Gearbox woes since apparently being low on oil

doodles

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 W202 1998
I've got a problem with our W202 C250td, auto. Last weekend, it seemed to be so low on fluid, it wouldn't even go into gear. We were on a slope, so figured it was just a bit low as it was sort of ok on the flat. It went into gear, but then wasn't changing and seemed stuck in 3rd. We were only 100 yards from where we'd set off, so we limped it back and used another car.
I didn't have the tranny dipstick with us and we were 220 mile from home, so guessed we'd be ok putting 1/2 a litre in, if this was the issue.
I know reallise there is an ecu for the gearbox, that could well have been the cause of the weird behavior.
I'm now getting a reall bizarre whine, that if i didn't know better, sounds/feels like it's slipping. I used the atf that Halfrauds have labelled up as suitable for Mercedes.
What have I done? Wrong fluid, or is it overfilled?
I did get a workshop auto box dipstick off ebay, but it seems pretty hopeless at giving a firm reading, although it does seem to be at the right level when warmed up to temp and engine running.
The whine is best described as extreme windnoise, or sounds like it's got a ghost in it.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
I had a similar whirring noise on my E280 and it resulted in a gearbox rebuild diagnosis. I would suggest you try and get the car to an indy with STAR who can read the codes and take it from there. It may well only be low on fluid, but then you have to suspect a leak as they are a sealed unit.
If your car is suffering the same as mine, you will eventually lose all drive if not repaired.

OP
D

doodles

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 W202 1998
Thanks for the input.
I do feel a little bit daft, but I guess I just put 2 and 2 together after the top up.

It's the viscous fan coupling! It's tighter than it should be, so is whirring away like a jet engine when revving. I though they failed the other way? I 'll have to whip it off and assess.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Do try the fan from cold, it should not speed up till 90c

OP
D

doodles

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 W202 1998
Do try the fan from cold, it should not speed up till 90c

Had a feel this morning, more or less as stiff to move on it as it was last night. Weird that it'd fail that way, seeing as the usual failure mode seems to be losing the oil inside and going limp. I wonder if it'd clean up.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I have never known one do this, it is silicon that is lost over the years from the visco, it should just spin.

OP
D

doodles

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 W202 1998
I have never known one do this, it is silicon that is lost over the years from the visco, it should just spin.

I guess the bearing has collapsed, although it is relatively smooth to turn by hand, just stiff.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom