General Car info SLs '86-89 - Lots of questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

neek

Reaction score
Hello there,
I have decided to buy a Mercedes SL as my main car, but do not seem to be able to find lots of good info on them on the internet.

I have gathered so far that the '86 to '89 models were much improved, but I don't know what the differences were.  I have other questions such as...

1.   If I went for the 420 or 500 instead of the 300, will this mean prohibitive petrol bills (uk based) even if I drive gingerly?  I may use the car to commute 60 miles a day so this will have some bearing.  Parkers older cars say that the consumption is the same for the 300 as the 420 - is this true?

2.   Is Aircon worth holding on for, or is it more hassle than it is worth?

3.   If the car does not have extras such as rear seats or cruise control, are these difficult to fit?

What I am trying to find are detailed spec sheets for each of the models (with options such as seats air con, cruise...) so that I can work out which would be best for me.  If there are any reviews of these cars in magazines - does anyone know where I can find these?

Insurance seems to be the same as long as the car does not exceed £10,000 in value.

Any help greatly appreciated as I am keen to get one!

Regards,

Nick
mercedes@parsley.freeuk.com (membership in process)

PS Obviously if anyone knows of a good example, I would be interested.

Neil Eglintine

Reaction score
General Car info SLs '86-89

I'd expect similar consumption from the 420 as the 300 if driven gently. The later V8s are all alloy and relatively efficient.
Air con on a soft top? I guess you pays your money and takes your choice. Hits the fuel consumption, mind.
Rear seats are easy to fit, cruise rather difficult. The rear seats are virtually useless, by the way.
Theres a Mercedes SL Gold collection with reprints of magazine articles. Probably available from Motorbooks or Chaters if the club don't have it.

Body condition on these cars is everything. The whole thing is a mass of complex panels. They are well made but do rust. Restoration needs deep pockets. Check everywhere, especially front of boot/rear of seats where the rain gets in. Boot apperture pannels rust too.

Mechanical parts are less of a worry. My mate bought a 450SL with a duff engine and swapped the engine and transmission from a 500SE. Cost about £500 after selling off the old engine and the rest of the SE. Expect problems with pneumatics (locking, heater etc).

See advice in this section re 500SL

They are lovely cars if you get a good one. Good luck!

(Edited by Neil Eglintine at 4:29 pm on Aug. 22, 2001)

(Edited by Neil Eglintine at 4:30 pm on Aug. 22, 2001)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom