Genuine Mercedes c63 style alloys vs aftermarket?

Iainc350

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 2010 3.0 v6
Hi
What's everyone's opinion on genuine Mercedes c63 alloy wheels vs aftermarket versions?
Have heard people saying they crack easily?

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
The 19" in particular are made of cheese. Forever cracking from what I have read.

I have a set of 18"AMG rims with one cracked rear that has been welded.

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
I think all alloys that run rubber bands for tyres run a risk of cracking , what with our ultra smooth roads . . . . . .

Cleck

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EQC 400
I've just traded in an E class that had the 19" AMG alloys and the fragility of the wheels was a contributory factor to em changing the car. In 18 months, I've had one new wheel and 5 or 6 weld repairs; almost everytime a wheel cracked it damaged the tyre in some way, resulting in a new tyre as well. Fortunately, I took out a two year wheel/tyre policy which has paid for all of the repairs & replacement tyres, but the total maximum benefit was £2,000 and I was getting close to that limit. Once a crack has been repaired, it appears to be a weak spot and is prone to go again.

Obviously, I could have changed the wheels, but I found the ride a bit hard due to the suspension as well as the wheels and the sports seats aren't designed for the wider gentleman, so I took the opportunity to change to an SE with 17" wheels (and therefore a lot more tyre profile) and softer suspension, with non-sport seats (and I love it!).

There are potholes on the roads around here, but not necessarily particularly deep ones, and I'm sure no more of them than anywhere else in the country. It got to the stage that if I hit a pothole, I was waiting for the tyre pressure monitor to flash up, signalling yet another claim. I think the 19"s are made of papier mache.

Paul Goff

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 C220CDi CD Estate
If my memory serves me well, the Honest John website makes the following general points about wheels and tyres.

If you like ride comfort and/or don't like paying out for pothole damage to wheels and tyres, try to choose something that comes with tyres of 50% or more aspect ratio.

My elderly C220 is much more comfortable on it's winter set up, 205 55 16, than on the summer AMG staggered wheels, 225 45 17 & 245 40 17 ;)
My previous car was the same, winters 185 55 15, summer 205 45 16.

It has been 30 years + since I damaged a wheel in a pothole, it was a steel wheel fitted with the old "standard" aspect ratio, 82%?, tyre. I did hit the hole VERY hard though!:shock:

Last edited:

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Going back to the original question, if you are contemplating getting 19" C63 alloys, get some copies from eBay.
You'll get 4 for the price of one OEM and the chances are they will last longer.
Just make sure you get rims with the correct offsets (ET's)

dry run

Reaction score
Website
kb-boatpark.co.uk
Your Mercedes
CLS 350d AMG LIne Premium Plus
My 19" aftermarket wheels are getting on for 3 years old now and have coped with many a pot holed surface. Several times I've thought "thats going to have done some damage", but nothing so far :) I think I paid £575 for 4.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom