Getting album cover art to show

roop_the_loop

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDI BlueEff SE, 7G auto, estate (S212), 2012
I don't know if this will help anyone, but if it's not relevant to you then just skip to the next thread. Alternatively this may already be obvious to you, in which case ditto. But I've just discovered this so thought I'd share it at least. :)

The display on my Audio20 has a placeholder for album cover art (when playing music from an MP3 player or a USB stick) but it's always been blank, which mildly annoyed me. After a fair bit of digging around I've finally figured out why this is - apparently most media players (including iTunes) don't actually embed the cover art into the individual music files, they just create a link for their own purposes so that when you select a song, iTunes goes and finds the corresponding picture and shows this. But when you copy your music to an external device that linkage inevitably gets lost.

You can manually re-embed the artwork but it's a bit of a pain as you have to do it for each file individually. However, if you're a fellow Mac user (Greetings! :cool:) you can get a free script from http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=reembedartwork which does this automatically an album (or possibly even more) at a time, and it does it very quickly and painlessly. I've just re-embedded the artwork into half a dozen albums in about 20 sec, and copied them onto a USB stick. When I plug the said stick into the USB port in my car, I now get not only lovely music but equally lovely pretty pictures showing up on the head unit. Rock'n'roll, baby!
:cool::p:cool::p:cool::p

(There may be a similar script/macro available for iTunes for Windows. And of course there are media players out there that embed cover art by default. I wouldn't know about either, but someone else may be able to enlighten us further.)

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom