Getting to grips with the COMAND APS

bacoms

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 E320 (W211) CDi Elegance Estate Tip, 2000 E320 (W210) CDi Elegance Estate Tip (sold)
Hi folks,

Having had my new 2005 E320 CDI for just over a week now, I am beginning to develope the opinion that the COMAND APS (DVD version) that's installed either isn't up to much or I just haven't figured out how to use it properly.

I already discovered that it will sort of sync. with my Bluetooth phone but will only load into its memory the first number found per contact. The others are ignored. This is despite it supporting the direct input of a mobile, a company and a personal number per contact.

The SatNav features seem fairly limited. It doesn't have anything like the features, the ease-of-use or the depth of information that may be found on a sub £100 portable satnav that sits on the dash. (Perhaps 4 years ago when the car was manufactured, it was state-of-the-art compared with what was around then.)

The thing that really gripes me however is so basic that I can't believe it's not possible. I've switched on the COMAND, selected Audio, then Radio. I can now control the radio completely from the steering-wheel so why do I have to put up with that bl**dy distracting screen in the corner of my eye when I'm driving?

Is there a way that I haven't discovered yet of having the screen go to sleep after a period of inactivity until I want to next use COMAND?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I can turn the screen of on the earlier version and I am sure that you can do the same on the APS version

OP
B

bacoms

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 E320 (W211) CDi Elegance Estate Tip, 2000 E320 (W210) CDi Elegance Estate Tip (sold)
I can turn the screen of on the earlier version and I am sure that you can do the same on the APS version

I feel sure it must be possible but I just can't figure out how to do it. It isn't obvious to me. I've been through the manual, tried all the setting and still the screen stays on.

How do you do it on your version?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I feel sure it must be possible but I just can't figure out how to do it. It isn't obvious to me. I've been through the manual, tried all the setting and still the screen stays on.

How do you do it on your version?

Mine is the earlier version, and I have a button that dims the display and turns it off.

Someone with one should see this post and be able to help

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Not possible to turn the screen off on the COMAND-APS as fitted to the C class. This is something I to would love to be able to do!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Not possible to turn the screen off on the COMAND-APS as fitted to the C class. This is something I to would love to be able to do!

Thanks Peter,,I was wishing that you were on line:D

OP
B

bacoms

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Looks like it's a feature then. I find it damn annoying and totally unnecessary but it looks like I'll just have to get used to it. Another point against the COMAND APS as fitted to this model.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Looks like it's a feature then. I find it damn annoying and totally unnecessary but it looks like I'll just have to get used to it. Another point against the COMAND APS as fitted to this model.

My experience is with the unit as fitted in the C class but I would imagine it will be the same in your E

I don't find it distracting as such but am concerned it could lead to premature failure of the display...

OP
B

bacoms

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I don't find it distracting as such but am concerned it could lead to premature failure of the display...
Good point. Anyone know what the life of one of these displays is?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Good point. Anyone know what the life of one of these displays is?

Thats a hard question, they are back lit, even if you turn it off, the other components are still running

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Thats a hard question, they are back lit, even if you turn it off, the other components are still running

True but I have already noticed "image burn" so I tend to switch to Map view. At least the image is constantly moving...

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
True but I have already noticed "image burn" so I tend to switch to Map view. At least the image is constantly moving...

Good point Peter,,I have to run mine at max brightness as when the top is down you cannot see mine, I will start turning mine off now on thinking about it

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom