GLC boot forced and auto close issue

OP
G

GLCKD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC220/2015
Just to add - the hinges are pretty much exposed to the elements so lubricating the hinges and pushrod ball joint a couple of times a year as I do is a good idea, the design is quite agricultural really
Thanks. Good idea. I've just lubricated the joints with WD40 White lithium grease. It's smoother but I think the issue still exists where the boot tries to close as soon as it's open.

Here's an update video following the grease. (Sounds smoother too).

Note, the only interaction I had with the car here where you see me open the boot via the key. There's no other button presses or contact with the car.

Car is in unlocked state.

Thanks,

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
I’ve found as the hinges dry out (they are understandable quite tight) this causes a lot of friction which throws the motor drive out of sync and the mechanism then tries to close. Look up a thread by member ‘goldy’ and the issues he had with a 212 estate tailgate you really need thin engine oil for it to work into the hinge and it will need a few applications

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Does anyone know ways to reset the close boot signals? Or hard reset the system that controls this?

I hope the lubricating works but, if it doesn’t, I think you need to go to a dealer for them to do a reset on Star. I found an old post on another forum about a GLE owner who was having tail-gate problems (different issues to yours) but his dealer plugged it in, found an error code which they reset and everything was fine after that.

OP
G

GLCKD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC220/2015
I hope the lubricating works but, if it doesn’t, I think you need to go to a dealer for them to do a reset on Star. I found an old post on another forum about a GLE owner who was having tail-gate problems (different issues to yours) but his dealer plugged it in, found an error code which they reset and everything was fine after that.
Thanks. Fingers crossed the dealer can help.

It doesn't sound like it's a mechanical issue, more like a stuck switch / electrical fault.

goldy

Reaction score
Website
www.goldsmithmortgages.co.uk
Your Mercedes
2019 W213
Ironically I've just oiled mine again as it has been a bit iffy recently.
Mine did the same sometimes. Began to.oprn then pulled itself shut.
Mostly it would open a few inches then stop.
Only logic for mine is the motor cutting out due to resistance, which it should do in the event of hitting something.
I had hinges replaced by Merc but I think they weren't lubricated properly.
Never worked properly until I followed Malcolm's advice.
Assume oil has worn off so needed doing again today. Did it last week too but as it's so tight it is a bit of pot luck.
Lubrication definitely helped mine. It's a case of keeping it oiled or hitting the spot.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
Arent they programmed to not open if there isnt enough room to open safely ??

that's on tesla's, would need lots of clever sensors for that

to me the original fault sounds a bit like the close button is jammed in

OP
G

GLCKD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC220/2015
It's now booked in to a good garage for next week. We should know the root issue next week.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Ironically I've just oiled mine again as it has been a bit iffy recently.
Mine did the same sometimes. Began to.oprn then pulled itself shut.
Mostly it would open a few inches then stop.
Only logic for mine is the motor cutting out due to resistance, which it should do in the event of hitting something.
I had hinges replaced by Merc but I think they weren't lubricated properly.
Never worked properly until I followed Malcolm's advice.
Assume oil has worn off so needed doing again today. Did it last week too but as it's so tight it is a bit of pot luck.
Lubrication definitely helped mine. It's a case of keeping it oiled or hitting the spot.

Yes terrible design and the hinges in some cases are so tight it takes a few applications for the oil to work in and must be repeated annually as the weather washes it out. May not be the case in the OPs car hope it’s something simple like a STAR reset

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Poorly designed, cheap. One metal hinge I suspect. Victorians would have done it to last 100 yr. Or at least for my ownership period, with just a timely application from a simple oil can, no sensor, star, or MB. 500 special oil at £20 a pop. Brunel made structures that are good 100yr on. Benz can't make an inlet manifold that will last in some cases 5 yr!! Progress, paff!!

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
Poorly designed, cheap. One metal hinge I suspect. Victorians would have done it to last 100 yr. Or at least for my ownership period, with just a timely application from a simple oil can, no sensor, star, or MB. 500 special oil at £20 a pop. Brunel made structures that are good 100yr on. Benz can't make an inlet manifold that will last in some cases 5 yr!! Progress, paff!!

its very skillfully designed.... they made it so ambiguous as to the failure even the Americans with class action law suites all day long no longer get it done for free

of course they can make it last, the materials, the lubrication and the knowledge is now so much greater.... but the accountants and the low moral business owners spend just less than making it last, on making it fail... so they can sell more cars

so long as everyone else is doing it no point switching brands... people needed to wake up 25 years ago... its a far sicker world than they chose to believe

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Yup. I understand you. It's near everything. I bought my French home 16 yr ago. It came with a 20 yr old fridge. Not yuppi brand. Still working fine! I have bought three! More since arrived here. Other applications. Not top brands, but not poverty models either makers just don't make anything properly anymore, ideally well enough to get a little past warranty. I spend a great deal of my time these days on trying. To keep things going that I only bought 4,5 yr ago, sometimes less! That's no ****** accident.. DTF is for sure a build criteria with everything. In my view no different if Mercedes or Dacia, Miele or hotpoint. Just one is cheaper to replace. Whilst at it my 2 proline washing machines have done 16 and 10 yrs and I have been able to effectively repair them on a number of occasions. I have another in bits.
At their prices I won't be twisted when I have to replace them

OP
G

GLCKD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC220/2015
OK, all fixed.

Super quick turnaround with my local garage. Basically the issue is with the pistons that support the boot lid. They were worn which meant they couldn't support the boot lid and it closed automatically.

They suspect it's due to the click and collect team loading groceries and forcing the boot lid down which caused it to break. That was the last time it was working.

They replaced the pistons and it's all fixed.

The moral of the story, be careful when closing the lid of the car. Only use buttons or gentle pressure. Don't let click and collect staff close your boot lid.

I hope this helps others with the same issue.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
Yup. I understand you. It's near everything. I bought my French home 16 yr ago. It came with a 20 yr old fridge. Not yuppi brand. Still working fine! I have bought three! More since arrived here. Other applications. Not top brands, but not poverty models either makers just don't make anything properly anymore, ideally well enough to get a little past warranty. I spend a great deal of my time these days on trying. To keep things going that I only bought 4,5 yr ago, sometimes less! That's no ****** accident.. DTF is for sure a build criteria with everything. In my view no different if Mercedes or Dacia, Miele or hotpoint. Just one is cheaper to replace. Whilst at it my 2 proline washing machines have done 16 and 10 yrs and I have been able to effectively repair them on a number of occasions. I have another in bits.
At their prices I won't be twisted when I have to replace them

I wanted the quartz heater elements in my next toaster - after a tefal one had worked faultlessly for 25 years. In fact it wasn't the elements that failed. The £60 Philips replacement died at 18 months having popped an element

my mums microwave by sharp is still like new, the controls and door open beautifully like well maintained Rolls Royce and yet its 42 years old. My £300 Panasonic microwave died with an inverter failure at 18 months (£120 for the part on ebay), its £200 Panasonic replacement closes the door like a lada and the opening mechanism is nasty and graunches like its about to fail at 14 months

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I think we on same page. I have pretty much stopped buying things I might like and just things I Need. I don't buy apple products for some yrs now. Near a grand for phone. Nuts?!! I buy android for about 100. Does job. Have 2 ipod bricks. They Were useful, need batteries "apple, we no longer support that!" tried eBay, they come in nice packing but don't work. Fortunately all my ipod music is on 2 laptops and a dongle so I can still use it but ipod was great for moving about. And durable. I sure that's why it's not available any more.

Yadav

Registered
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC
OK, all fixed.

Super quick turnaround with my local garage. Basically the issue is with the pistons that support the boot lid. They were worn which meant they couldn't support the boot lid and it closed automatically.

They suspect it's due to the click and collect team loading groceries and forcing the boot lid down which caused it to break. That was the last time it was working.

They replaced the pistons and it's all fixed.

The moral of the story, be careful when closing the lid of the car. Only use buttons or gentle pressure. Don't let click and collect staff close your boot lid.

I hope this helps others with the same issue.
Hello,
I have exactly the same problem on my GLC220d (2015) how much (£) did it cost you to fix the issue?

Thanks.

richlumb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC 350d
So was replacing the gas struts the cure ?

rjsmith10

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC 350d & EQC
Hi everyone, I registered here just so I could post on this thread. I had exact same problem, same symptoms with my 2018 GLC 350d - happened out of the blue last weekend. I then googled the issue and found this thread with super-helpful solution.

I ordered two new gas struts yesterday via express delivery, arrived today and I've just replaced them, took me 5 minutes, and it's all back to new!!!

Cost was £38 including express delivery from www.strutsdepot.com

Brilliant service

Thanks all for taking the time to post and keep this thread going to a conclusion.....its saved me goodness knows how much £££££ , time and grief

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Hi everyone, I registered here just so I could post on this thread. I had exact same problem, same symptoms with my 2018 GLC 350d - happened out of the blue last weekend. I then googled the issue and found this thread with super-helpful solution.

I ordered two new gas struts yesterday via express delivery, arrived today and I've just replaced them, took me 5 minutes, and it's all back to new!!!

Cost was £38 including express delivery from www.strutsdepot.com

Brilliant service

Thanks all for taking the time to post and keep this thread going to a conclusion.....its saved me goodness knows how much £££££ , time and grief
Welcome - and thanks for taking the time to update us.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom