GLC boot forced and auto close issue

GLCKD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC220/2015
Hi to all the technical wizards out there.

I've just encountered a strange issue with my GLC's boot opening and closing.

The boot will open and then immediately close.

I've tried opening it via the door, boot lid and key and in all instances, the boot will immediately close after two beeps.

There is nothing above the car that would impede it's opening. I've also tried opening away from the wall and with the ignition on. All with the same issue.

I've tried holding the lid open at the top to 'reset' the position, but it will just auto close each time.

Here's a video demonstrating the issue:

This is a new issue and not something I've experienced before.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Hi and welcome. This is not something I’ve come across, I’m afraid, and I can’t find anything similar on Google. There was a post about the same issue on the GLC Forum about a month ago but no responses so it looks like it’s a rare problem.

Have you tried reprogramming the angle of the opening to see if this cures it? That’s something you can do to avoid the boot opening fully and hitting an obstacle like a garage door. Here is the instructions:

Switching on
To open the tailgate: pull the handle on the tailgate.
To stop the opening process at the desired position: press the closing button on the tailgate or pull the handle on the outside of the tailgate again.
To store the position: press and hold the closing button on the tailgate until you hear a short tone.

• The opening angle limiter is activated. The tailgate then stops in the stored position when opened.

Switching off
Press and hold the closing button on the tailgate until two short tones sound.

Failing that, you may need to visit your dealer for help. Sorry!

OP
G

GLCKD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC220/2015
Hi and welcome. This is not something I’ve come across, I’m afraid, and I can’t find anything similar on Google. There was a post about the same issue on the GLC Forum about a month ago but no responses so it looks like it’s a rare problem.

Have you tried reprogramming the angle of the opening to see if this cures it? That’s something you can do to avoid the boot opening fully and hitting an obstacle like a garage door. Here is the instructions:

Switching on
To open the tailgate: pull the handle on the tailgate.
To stop the opening process at the desired position: press the closing button on the tailgate or pull the handle on the outside of the tailgate again.
To store the position: press and hold the closing button on the tailgate until you hear a short tone.

• The opening angle limiter is activated. The tailgate then stops in the stored position when opened.

Switching off
Press and hold the closing button on the tailgate until two short tones sound.

Failing that, you may need to visit your dealer for help. Sorry!

Hi, yes, I have tried resetting the tailgate angle. I held the lid open at the top and tired holding down the closing button but no beeps. Once I release the lid, it will close automatically right away.

Pressing the stop button in the boot lid also doesn't stop the closing. It's very much forcing itself to close.

Thanks for your help though, I couldn't find anything online of a similar nature.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Hi, yes, I have tried resetting the tailgate angle. I held the lid open at the top and tired holding down the closing button but no beeps. Once I release the lid, it will close automatically right away.

Pressing the stop button in the boot lid also doesn't stop the closing. It's very much forcing itself to close.

Thanks for your help though, I couldn't find anything online of a similar nature.
Just try pushing the close button just before it gets to the top and then pressing and holding the button to see if you get the two beeps.

OP
G

GLCKD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC220/2015
Sounds like anti trap like electric windows have ???
Yes, feels like that. Except it's not preventing close, it's preventing open. Basically it's like it's trapped in "trying to close mode" as if something is closing it.

Any advice on if it's possible to deactivate/ reset / override that feature?

OP
G

GLCKD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC220/2015
Just try pushing the close button just before it gets to the top and then pressing and holding the button to see if you get the two beeps.
I've tried it, but it's not having any effect. It's basically either in the process of opening or closing. There isn't a pause at the top when it's fully open.

When I force it open at the top to hold the close button, there's no effect.

Thanks,

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Ok - you have to press the close button while it’s still opening but when it’s near the top. Does that stop it? If so, then press and hold the button.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Arent they programmed to not open if there isnt enough room to open safely ??

You'd have thought so wouldn't you eg use the reverse sensors ..... but mine will open however little room there is, same for the R Class before

Wearsafoxhat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E55k :S211, SL500 :R129 , V220
Is it not the new Mercedes “Quick Pack” feature

Sorry not seen this, maybe a top limit switch not switching off the cycle ??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Interested in this one, have same system. I use tail door red button to stop mine whacking the garage roof. I don't trust it to stay set at any "programed" point. Think I might fix some carpet /pipe insulation on garage ceiling, just in case now.

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
2015 car according to his info

That’s not the problem. If I understand correctly, it opens fine, goes all the way up and then closes again straightaway.
Ive just read it again , it doesnt say it opens fully but just that it opens then closes straight away, as you say , anyway its an odd problem , wondervif the switch is dodgy ??

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Ive just read it again , it doesnt say it opens fully but just that it opens then closes straight away, as you say , anyway its an odd problem , wondervif the switch is dodgy ??
I think the video showed it better

OP
G

GLCKD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC220/2015
Ok - you have to press the close button while it’s still opening but when it’s near the top. Does that stop it? If so, then press and hold the button.
Hi

Just did a few more tests:

• If I press the close button inside the lid when it's opening, it starts to close immediately.
  • Holding the close button inside the lid doesn't do anything.
  • The handle on the lid (above the number plate) does 'click' when I pull it to activate the opening and when it's opening, pulling again will close.
It does open 'fully' as in it reaches the top of the range of motion and starts closing immediately.

It's 2015 so out of warranty. I brought it second hand from a dealership so they may have some support. Will check if they are still open and operational.

Basically there's nothing I can do to stop it from closing again immediately. (Aside from holding it with force).

Everything I have tried has caused it to close, nothing to keep it open.

I suspect there's something that is 'locked on close' like a close button in the door. Last time I closed the boot was from inside the car. It feels like there's a permanent close boot signal being delivered to the boot.

Does anyone know ways to reset the close boot signals? Or hard reset the system that controls this?

Thanks,

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
I’d try lubricating the hinges I can hear a crack towards the top of the movement. Use some thin oil and apply liberally the whole mechanism depends on the hinges and ball joint on the end of the motor pushrod being free and not sticking - don’t ask me how I know....

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Just to add - the hinges are pretty much exposed to the elements so lubricating the hinges and pushrod ball joint a couple of times a year as I do is a good idea, the design is quite agricultural really

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom