GLC Coupe with a mind of its own

Guy Bowen

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC Coupe 250d 4 Matic 2016
I would like to know if anyone else has had the same problem with their Mercedes as me?
Over the last year since buying my car, I have had 5 instances of the car randomly pulling severely to the right. It happens without notice and lasts for between 10 and 20 minutes, up until the last occasion it has been caught and countered in time, it then resets back to normal. Unfortunately for me and the car, the fifth occasion was so severe and sudden, the car snapped 90 degrees right and ended up in the crash barrier under the M4 motorway. The first four times the fault was reported to my dealer Sinclair Mercedes Swansea, with varying replies, from cannot find anything wrong, the first two times, to the diagnostic machine was not working the third time and finally 'the diagnostic machine won't show anything', the day before the accident. To add insult to the injury I sustained in the accident, the dealer washed their hands of me, just telling me to contact Mercedes direct! So I am now left with a car in limbo between repairers and Mercedes HQ who want to carry out a finite inspection, which could take up to 8 weeks!! To top it all off, in the circumstances where it is a reported fault with your car, the insurance company can make your insurance 'Nul and Void' BEWARE Please let me know if anything like this has happened to you too. 11 days in and counting and paying Mercedes NOT to have a £50,000 car. GREAT ADVERT!

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
Sorry to hear this, hope you weren't too badly injured. The GLC is bit of a problem vehicle. If it isn't the problems with crabbing caused by the Ackermann geometry being all awry then this sort of thing happens. It is time Mercedes recalled these vehicles and removed them from the road.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
The dealer cannot wash their hands of you under the consumer act. I'd contact a solicitor and seek their advice.

Frosty149

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W207 '63 E350 coupe amg sport
^^ As LK says you have some protection under legislation.
Write down a diary of events, especially your communication with the dealer and their responses, note any costs, lost working, taxis & hire cars etc - get professional assistance, sadly this sounds like a bit of drag, to get a just outcome but does look, to my eyes, achievable. Good luck and stern resolve!

OrangeSport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK350 Sport
Recently a customer I picked up from our local MB dealers was telling me about the issues he had with his:

Front suspension collapsed on the day he bought it (new)

Random engine cut-outs

Steering issues (much line you describe) which MB wanted to treat with new tyres. The specific tyres they suggested weren’t in stock do his dealer wanted to fit “something else”!

Seems there are issues with this model

OP
G

Guy Bowen

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sorry to hear this, hope you weren't too badly injured. The GLC is bit of a problem vehicle. If it isn't the problems with crabbing caused by the Ackermann geometry being all awry then this sort of thing happens. It is time Mercedes recalled these vehicles and removed them from the road.

Thanks Mike very useful information. Just have to get the idiots in Mercedes Benz customer service to understand what a fault is. Have just spent an afternoon trying to get the car to the correct place, to be inspected, after Mercedes Breakdown sent the car to the wrong garage. They admitted it should of been sent where I asked, but won't rectify the error! Aaaah! What next?

OP
G

Guy Bowen

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The dealer cannot wash their hands of you under the consumer act. I'd contact a solicitor and seek their advice.

Thanks LostKiwi I will be contacting my solicitor, after my dealings with Mercedes Benz customer services so far, a letter of intent to pursue litigation against them and the dealer, might just make them sit up pay attention. Because so far they have been an embarrassing joke!

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
That sounds scary, i hope everyone in the car was ok.Theres no way MB are going to recall thousands of GLC's until they have done a thorough investigation into exsctly what went wrong in this instance. However whilst they are carrying out their investigation they should at least provide a comparable vehicle on a free loan. Having read about the issues some people have had with MB i would agree that an initial letter carefully worded by a solicitor may help them to see the severity of this matter. I hope it goes well for you.

OP
G

Guy Bowen

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Hope it helps Guy, bit disconcerting that the ESP could go rogue these things are supposed to provide extra safety not cause accidents, glad you are OK

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom