GLE 250d 2016 Faulty Alarm

RoryPat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLE 250d 2016
Hi all, my 2016 GLE 250d alarm has just started going off randomly over the past few days. Today it has went off approximately 6 times with the hazard lights flashing and then the alarm. Whilst driving it yesterday, about 20 mins into a good drive an audible noise started bleeping then the alarm went off whilst driving! Highly concerning! Our car only has 19k miles on the clock and we just got it 2 months ago from a local MB dealership on a 4 yr PCP deal. Not the best start, I just traded in my BMW M140i purely for practical reasons. Surely I don't need a new battery on a 2016 car? Has anyone else experienced this on the GLE? I see a lot of faulty alarm posts with other MB models, but can't seem to see any threads on faulty GLE alarm? Wondering if any of you have a rough idea? Not cool at all on relatively new car. Thank you. Best regards, Rory

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hello and welcome

Get it back to the supplying dealer, the battery in the alarm will no doubt be goosed and/or damaged

Janchee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ex W213/2016/220D 190
Hi Rory, as Blobcat said, get it back to the dealer and I’m sure they will rectify for you. Does your stop start work?

If it’s a 2016 with only 19k miles on it, I wouldn’t be surprised if it needs a new battery. With all the defrosting, heated windows screens etc. In winter, I’d be surprised if the battery got a chance to get topped up.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
It will have approves used warranty. it will be the siren usually located under the wheel arch. pcb in there prone to damage.

Janchee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ex W213/2016/220D 190
My Siren has just gone this last couple of weeks as well. As what @mioba said above, they have an internal battery which is crap and depletes onto the PCB. Just a part switch and a good mechanic should be able to switch within the hour.

OP
R

RoryPat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLE 250d 2016
Hi Rory, as Blobcat said, get it back to the dealer and I’m sure they will rectify for you. Does your stop start work?

If it’s a 2016 with only 19k miles on it, I wouldn’t be surprised if it needs a new battery. With all the defrosting, heated windows screens etc. In winter, I’d be surprised if the battery got a chance to get topped up.
Hey Janchee, thanks for replying. Extremely happy with Mercedes-Benz Breakdown Cover and aftercare.

I called the main dealer the morning after I posted on this forum. The Mercedes Technician came out within 30 minutes to my house and plugged his computer into the car. It read "no communication to the Alarm Siren". The alarm siren was located underneath the front drivers side (UK car) wheel arch. He unscrewed a few bolts, pulled off the underside of the wheel arch to gain access. Immediately we seen a lot of water around the wiring connected towards the alarm siren. So he disconnected the alarm siren and cleared any error codes that the onboard computer would read. So now he has fixed my issue with the alarm going off every 10 minutes waking up the neighbour's. The car locks and unlocks fine, it just doesn't have the alarm of course as disconnected. So we have it booked in on Monday and get a Mercedes loan car for the day for £15. He said I will need a new Alarm Siren and that the wiring will have to be fixed as it was saturated with ingress water and will need a new connection part that connects to the alarm siren. So it wasn't a big deal in the end.

However, having electronics underneath a wheel arch you would expect there to be more effective insulation/waterproofing. Especially with the bad weather we have had here in Scotland with the torrential rain and snow as of late and as an SUV it should be capable to cope with water around a wheel arch! The Mercedes Technician said he is confused to why Mercedes keep putting the alarm sirens in that location as he has had several call outs to fix the same problem and also with the ML. Design flaw.

What I recommend now to everyone else with 2016 to 2019 GLE's is to be extra careful with using pressure washers to clean there Mercedes, please be extra careful around the front drivers side wheel arch. As that is a logical guess as to what may have happened with my GLE, with water ingress getting in potentially through a small gap and traced down the cable into the connection part of the alarm siren causing it to trip. This could of been a possibility along with the bad weather.

Regards, Rory

OP
R

RoryPat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLE 250d 2016
It will have approves used warranty. it will be the siren usually located under the wheel arch. pcb in there prone to damage.
Yes, spot on mate. It was the Alarm Siren. Design fault having it located underneath the wheel arch! Crazy position for any SUV let alone Mercedes to let the slip through the net into production. An area that is most prone for water ingress. The Mercedes Technician was excellent and sorted it out. He said it's daft having it located in that area as he has had multiple call outs recently with the same problem on 2016 - 2019 GLE's and also he said the previous version ML's.

However, I need to drop it off on Monday to get it replaced and the wiring fixed as it was saturated with water. So the front right drivers side wheel arch is a highly sensitive area for GLE's. Be careful with pressure washers in that area whilst washing your car. At least we know what the problem is now. It doesn't help with the crazy weather in Scotland. 4 seasons in 1 day.

Mercedes Technician was different class by the way. Very efficient and professional.

Regards, Rory

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
I agree that Mercedes put them in daft places, even on the older cars, My 2003 W169 had it fitted below the wiper motor and linkages, under the scuttle, so water pours off the screen and all over the electronic item, yep, it failed, so when i replaced, as was about an hours work to get at it, i removed it, extended the wires and fitted it in the engine bay the other way up, so that any battery leakage goes out the alarm unit and not on the circuit board, Its now a 2 min job to replace.
Incidentally, this was three years ago, and i took a chance on a £15 second hand unit off ebay, its still working !!!

Janchee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ex W213/2016/220D 190
Hey Janchee, thanks for replying. Extremely happy with Mercedes-Benz Breakdown Cover and aftercare.

I called the main dealer the morning after I posted on this forum. The Mercedes Technician came out within 30 minutes to my house and plugged his computer into the car. It read "no communication to the Alarm Siren". The alarm siren was located underneath the front drivers side (UK car) wheel arch. He unscrewed a few bolts, pulled off the underside of the wheel arch to gain access. Immediately we seen a lot of water around the wiring connected towards the alarm siren. So he disconnected the alarm siren and cleared any error codes that the onboard computer would read. So now he has fixed my issue with the alarm going off every 10 minutes waking up the neighbour's. The car locks and unlocks fine, it just doesn't have the alarm of course as disconnected. So we have it booked in on Monday and get a Mercedes loan car for the day for £15. He said I will need a new Alarm Siren and that the wiring will have to be fixed as it was saturated with ingress water and will need a new connection part that connects to the alarm siren. So it wasn't a big deal in the end.

However, having electronics underneath a wheel arch you would expect there to be more effective insulation/waterproofing. Especially with the bad weather we have had here in Scotland with the torrential rain and snow as of late and as an SUV it should be capable to cope with water around a wheel arch! The Mercedes Technician said he is confused to why Mercedes keep putting the alarm sirens in that location as he has had several call outs to fix the same problem and also with the ML. Design flaw.

What I recommend now to everyone else with 2016 to 2019 GLE's is to be extra careful with using pressure washers to clean there Mercedes, please be extra careful around the front drivers side wheel arch. As that is a logical guess as to what may have happened with my GLE, with water ingress getting in potentially through a small gap and traced down the cable into the connection part of the alarm siren causing it to trip. This could of been a possibility along with the bad weather.

Regards, Rory
Hi Rory, glad Mercedes came out and diagnosed. To be fair, all the crew are generally good people and very professional. It’s because you get to speak to the mechanic rather than a service advisor ;)

Surprised he didn’t fit another one there and then? Is your car still insured without an alarm?

Also, why are you having to pay for loan car! It’s a warranty item and it’s not your fault you can’t stay in dealership whilst it’s being done...

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
sorry, that should have read my 2003 W163 !!!!!!

OP
R

RoryPat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLE 250d 2016
Hi Rory, glad Mercedes came out and diagnosed. To be fair, all the crew are generally good people and very professional. It’s because you get to speak to the mechanic rather than a service advisor ;)

Surprised he didn’t fit another one there and then? Is your car still insured without an alarm?

Also, why are you having to pay for loan car! It’s a warranty item and it’s not your fault you can’t stay in dealership whilst it’s being done...
He didn't have the part in his van, which was unfortunate. He was annoyed about not having it actually as it appears to be a common fault.

It sounds like it could have an effect on insurance doesn't it. Thankfully it's lock down here and we aren't putting miles on it.

Very true, I will use the insurance chat to say I'm unhappy about it and that I shouldn't be paying £15 for the loan car. See what happens come Monday. It may be a case by case scenario and as you pointed out, isn't my fault for the alarm siren failure.

Janchee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ex W213/2016/220D 190
He didn't have the part in his van, which was unfortunate. He was annoyed about not having it actually as it appears to be a common fault.

It sounds like it could have an effect on insurance doesn't it. Thankfully it's lock down here and we aren't putting miles on it.

Very true, I will use the insurance chat to say I'm unhappy about it and that I shouldn't be paying £15 for the loan car. See what happens come Monday. It may be a case by case scenario and as you pointed out, isn't my fault for the alarm siren failure.

Hi Rory, has your stop / start worked since you’ve had the GLE? Maybe worth asking them to test the battery whilst you’re there on Monday...

OP
R

RoryPat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLE 250d 2016
Hi Janchee, I haven't really noticed to be fair. I don't think it has stopped working. Yes, I will find out the condition of the battery. Hopefully all is well.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom