GLE up my backside

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
I'm not sure if pre 7am drivers drive like they own the road, or whether they can get away with it because there are less cars on the road but, driving on a local A road I noticed a large MB coming right up behind me, it was so close that I used the windscreen washer to make it known that he was close, he must have known. In the end I brake checked, his response was to attempt an overtake, just before a bend, I put my foot down and he had no choice to brake and move back into the correct lane. There was a car in front of me and we were in a 40 zone, this bloke was a complete idiot and had no concern for anyone else. I'm sure this car drives this route often and probably thought he had the power to overtake everyone, and probably thought that my car was something that he could get passed with ease.
Not sure if what I did was dangerous, but I was pi**ed off to say the least. I'm guessing it was a GLE with maybe the 350 CDI engine, but it did look newish.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Since when is brake checking a car up your @r$e not dangerous? I'd have slowed & let him pass. Easy enough to say but, I am getting older and wiser.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Since when is brake checking a car up your @r$e not dangerous? I'd have slowed & let him pass. Easy enough to say but, I am getting older and wiser.

You and me both, :rolleyes:

400ixl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E250 AMG Sport Convertible
Brake checking and then racing him so he couldn't overtake? And you are asking if it was dangerous?

Granted he was being an idiot, but doesn't mean you should be too.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
You and me both, :rolleyes:
And three.
Brake testing only ever leads to more of the same. Simply lift off the throttle and slow down. If he's too close he'll have to brake. If you keep slowing without braking he'll have little choice but to slow with you or overtake. Either way it's less dangerous than brake testing him. If you have a rear dash cam send footage to plod and let them deal with him (not a good idea if you brake tested him!)

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
And three.
Brake testing only ever leads to more of the same. Simply lift off the throttle and slow down. If he's too close he'll have to brake. If you keep slowing without braking he'll have little choice but to slow with you or overtake. Either way it's less dangerous than brake testing him. If you have a rear dash cam send footage to plod and let them deal with him (not a good idea if you brake tested him!)
I was really annoyed and at the time it was my initial thought to let him know he was too close. I should have realised that this was going to happen in the way that he got up my backside so quickly. I'm sure that this is something this person does on a daily basis.

In hindsight what I did was wrong, I'm just someone that can get angry and then after think "that was silly".

Last edited:

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I was really annoyed and at the time it was my initial thought to let him know he was too close. I should have realised that this was going to happen in the way that he got up my backside so quickly. I'm sure that this is something this person does on a daily basis.
Next time report him for dangerous driving. If possible back it up with dash cam footage.

I've always found a more subtle method is to hit the screen washers. Wait till he's just turned hi off and repeat. Again and again and again and eventually he'll get peed off and drop back. Especially if you only do it every time he gets close.

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Next time report him for dangerous driving. If possible back it up with dash cam footage.
I've been thinking about getting front and rear dash cams, and now after this it makes sense.

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
I understand your anger. I get really ***** that some arogant **** will cause increased danger to me because they think they have a right to go faster than I've decided is good.

They are an accident waiting to happen, but by brake testing you have increased the liklihood of being in that accident, as well as others that might get caught be rocheting vehicles.

If I can let' em past w/o inconvenience I will.
I slow, and then use my hazards to show my displeasure.
I've read, maybe here, that using the hazards in this way could be illegal. How when it is warning of a hazard, the **** in question, I don't understand.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
It is intimidating when they are all over you, the IAM approach I try and use is to give a larger space in front as I now need to brake for the muppet behind me as well, so I need to give a larger gap to give more time to brake so they don't slam into the back of me. Have I always done this, "no" I've done as you have previously but it's not doing you any good or the muppet behind you.

I let them gain that 20' of road if he/she likes. I'm not in that much of a hurry as I've planned my journey so I don't have to rush. It's much better for the heart rate and stress level. Again very easy to type, not always as easy when behind the wheel.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.

I've always found a more subtle method is to hit the screen washers. Wait till he's just turned hi off and repeat. Again and again and again and eventually he'll get peed off and drop back. Especially if you only do it every time he gets close.

I used to like doing that - I now have magic vision on the SL .....:( no overspray - it comes out the blades.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I used to like doing that - I now have magic vision on the SL .....:( no overspray - it comes out the blades.
It can be quite good fun.... ;)
I always have at least one washer jet aimed fairly high each side for this reason (and that it will be pushed down by speed on motorways).

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
It is intimidating when they are all over you, the IAM approach I try and use is to give a larger space in front as I now need to brake for the muppet behind me as well, so I need to give a larger gap to give more time to brake so they don't slam into the back of me. .

Yes - I reckon that by controlling the space ahead of me, I can control (to some extent) what happens behind me.

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I know brake testing is a hazard, but then imagine if you really have to brake i.e. another car pulls out of a junction, it would be even worse. I did try the washers, not sure if that any impact.

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
It's true that as time goes by you do get more tolerant with other's antisocial behaviour, but you needn't end up a victim by diffusing a given situation, learn from it. I have had a dashcam in my cars since the early 2000's and I have found it invaluable, whether it is recording at the time or not, just to fiddle with it when the offending driver is looking is usually enough for him/her to realise that evidence is being gathered if needed. I upgraded just over a Year ago to a Nextbase Duo HD so I now offer the same service to inconsiderate drivers from the rear.

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It's true that as time goes by you do get more tolerant with other's antisocial behaviour, but you needn't end up a victim by diffusing a given situation, learn from it. I have had a dashcam in my cars since the early 2000's and I have found it invaluable, whether it is recording at the time or not, just to fiddle with it when the offending driver is looking is usually enough for him/her to realise that evidence is being gathered if needed. I upgraded just over a Year ago to a Nextbase Duo HD so I now offer the same service to inconsiderate drivers from the rear.
Does the rear camera give good detail even though it is attached to the front of the car? If you can catch this on the camera and show the police, will they speak to the driver?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Does the rear camera give good detail even though it is attached to the front of the car? If you can catch this on the camera and show the police, will they speak to the driver?
Rear dashcam, needs to be in the rear screen...

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Top Bottom