Gliding mode

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Even when the engine stops? how can a driver not know it has been invoked when the car starts slowing down?
A car will start to slow down anyway when you take the foot off the throttle unless you are going down a very steep incline. The engine kicks in seamlessly when you put the foot back on the accelerator.

It only works in E mode, not C, S, or S+ so, as Rory says, only for those obsessed with fuel economy. I’ve used mine in glide mode once or twice and haven’t noticed any improvement in mpg.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Even when the engine stops? how can a driver not know it has been invoked when the car starts slowing down?

The car does not slow down, gliding mode just switches in an out as needed. If you were not watching the display (mine displays "gliding mode" momentarily and changes the "D" (drive) to green, instead of white) you would not know it is happening. It just disengages the drive train in situations where you would normally be barely touching the accelerator (or clutch depressed ;-) )and "coasting". Eg downhill & long flat roads - it works very well.

Last edited:

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
A car will start to slow down anyway when you take the foot off the throttle unless you are going down a very steep incline. The engine kicks in seamlessly when you put the foot back on the accelerator.

It only works in E mode, not C, S, or S+ so, as Rory says, only for those obsessed with fuel economy. I’ve used mine in glide mode once or twice and haven’t noticed any improvement in mpg.

Yep - I have C, CV, S, S+ and *I modes. Gliding only works in CV which is the "very economical" mode and also leans the car into bends. I used CV to drive to the North York Moors recently (only a 100 mile round trip) with the intention of seeing what sort of mileage I could get (all green lights on the economy gauge). I failed in my quest as there are some stretches that demand "S" or "S+" mode :cool:.

It does make a difference to me as I got about 20 "bonus" miles on the trip, compared to my normal driving style. I expect that if I always drove with economy in mind the bonus miles gained would slowly diminish until I was constantly driving the car at maximum economy.

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
If you re-read my post and link at post #12, MB give a clear description of how the system works, gliding in N with the engine running is freewheeling isn't it? Freewheeling with a stopped engine is the "Stop/Start" function in motion isn't it? Whether freewheeling or gliding, the vehicle will simply slow down and the additional fuel required to get back up to speed on a flat road will negate any savings the feature is attempting to make, it's all smoke and mirrors as far as I am concerned, all it is doing is changing people's driving styles, anyone can freewheel down hills if they want to and the very last thing I need to deal with is a time lag until an engine restarts before I have the power available on the accelerator pedal when I need it.

OP
richlumb

richlumb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC 350d
And what about the smart alternators and regenerative braking, is that technology now a thing of the past and how will it affect cruise control,? Whether you're driving on a long flat road or the typical hilly grounds that cover the majority of the UK it reads as though the gliding feature will be constantly and persistently starting and stopping, accelerating and slowing you down. I don't think the feature would be for me, I use CC a great deal and the gearbox for engine braking as a first choice for slowing down and I wouldn't want any automated process interfering with my decisions while driving my car.
@richlumb But was that just the ICE shutting down and the EV assuming drive or did the vehicle start gliding and slowing down?
Was the engine turning off and gliding/charging the battery back up

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Was the engine turning off and gliding/charging the battery back up
I was trying to confirm whether your previous car, a Hybrid was simply shutting down the engine and driving on it's batteries which is what I suspect or were you stating this car also had the Gliding function and the Gliding function was transparent on your Hybrid car?

OP
richlumb

richlumb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC 350d
I was trying to confirm whether your previous car, a Hybrid was simply shutting down the engine and driving on it's batteries which is what I suspect or were you stating this car also had the Gliding function and the Gliding function was transparent on your Hybrid car?

yes when it shut the engine off and was coasting it reverted to charging the battery up but as soon as any demand above the electric motor was required it started the engine , the 300h was a Diesel engine with electric motor assist you couldn’t drive any distance on electric alone

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes, as I suspected, the Hybrid was simply acting as a Hybrid does and doesn't have the Gliding function, I think your post confused some members as the thread discussion is about the Gliding function.

OP
richlumb

richlumb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC 350d
Yes, as I suspected, the Hybrid was simply acting as a Hybrid does and doesn't have the Gliding function, I think your post confused some members as the thread discussion is about the Gliding function.
No only mentioned the hybrid after your post about the engine turning off my original post was about the gliding function on my current GLC ( which doesn’t turn off in gliding mode just drops to a idle speed until you accelerate) I’ve never seen the gliding function because I tend to use the cruise control which doesn’t allow the gliding mode to work was pure accident I found it

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
If you re-read my post and link at post #12, MB give a clear description of how the system works, gliding in N with the engine running is freewheeling isn't it? Freewheeling with a stopped engine is the "Stop/Start" function in motion isn't it? Whether freewheeling or gliding, the vehicle will simply slow down and the additional fuel required to get back up to speed on a flat road will negate any savings the feature is attempting to make, it's all smoke and mirrors as far as I am concerned, all it is doing is changing people's driving styles, anyone can freewheel down hills if they want to and the very last thing I need to deal with is a time lag until an engine restarts before I have the power available on the accelerator pedal when I need it.

Yes, it freewheels or what ever you choose to call it. However as soon as the speed starts dropping the g-box is reengaged THE ENGINE DOES NOT SWITCH OFF. As mentioned, it is so subtle that you would not notice it unless you looked at the instruments.

You need to use the system and open your mind to new concepts before dismissing it as smoke and mirrors without ever having used it.

Pity we have social distancing - I'd take you for a run in my car and challenge you (pie & a pint bet) to tell me when it is gliding and not gliding. :)

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
No only mentioned the hybrid after your post about the engine turning off my original post was about the gliding function on my current GLC ( which doesn’t turn off in gliding mode just drops to a idle speed until you accelerate) I’ve never seen the gliding function because I tend to use the cruise control which doesn’t allow the gliding mode to work was pure accident I found it

Yes, it freewheels or what ever you choose to call it. However as soon as the speed starts dropping the g-box is reengaged THE ENGINE DOES NOT SWITCH OFF. As mentioned, it is so subtle that you would not notice it unless you looked at the instruments.

You need to use the system and open your mind to new concepts before dismissing it as smoke and mirrors without ever having used it.

Pity we have social distancing - I'd take you for a run in my car and challenge you (pie & a pint bet) to tell me when it is gliding and not gliding. :)
I'll stand corrected, if neither of you have experienced the engine shutting off then I couldn't possibly claim otherwise, this means the Glide function as described in the MB doc I found specifically mentioning the 2016 E350 means only this model has the engine stopping function which I find pretty strange but then unsurprising I suppose, I wonder how many other changes there are in the numerous functions available across the model range, and there's no mention of the engine stopping in your Owners Manuals in the glide function description?
I'm not a gambling man but I reckon that's a safe bet :) and would welcome the opportunity anyway for a convivial pie and a pint anytime after lockdown, if I'm still around!

OP
richlumb

richlumb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC 350d
Don't knock it until you have tried it. It works perfectly and is pretty much seamless to any driving style.

If the display did not show "gliding" most drivers would never know it is happening. I don't know how long the op has had his car but he has only just noticed it on his car.

All those drivers that obsess about their fuel consumption will love it.
I'll stand corrected, if neither of you have experienced the engine shutting off then I couldn't possibly claim otherwise, this means the Glide function as described in the MB doc I found specifically mentioning the 2016 E350 means only this model has the engine stopping function which I find pretty strange but then unsurprising I suppose, I wonder how many other changes there are in the numerous functions available across the model range, and there's no mention of the engine stopping in your Owners Manuals in the glide function description?
I'm not a gambling man but I reckon that's a safe bet :) and would welcome the opportunity anyway for a convivial pie and a pint anytime after lockdown, if I'm still around!
Will try on my next long run Tony

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
2nd last dot point makes it a little clearer "during deceleration" I've not noticed it being specifically the case but it makes sense!

Drive program CURVE is characterised by the following:
  • increased driving comfort on bends.
  • the vehicle tilts actively into the bend. Further information on the cornering function more.
  • the vehicle exhibits particularly economical driving characteristics.
  • the vehicle pulls away more gently in forward and reverse gears unless the accelerator pedal is depressed fully.
  • comfortable suspension setting.
  • the steering exhibits comfortable steering characteristics.
  • optimal fuel consumption resulting from the automatic transmission shifting up sooner.
  • the automatic transmission shifts up sooner. This results in the vehicle being driven at lower engine speeds and the wheels being less likely to spin.
  • during deceleration, the engine is disconnected from the drive train. The vehicle uses kinetic energy and consumes less fuel (gliding mode).
  • ESP® provides the optimum compromise between traction and stability. Further information about ESP® more.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
I tried E mode with gliding today on a return trip to the coast. I didn’t particularly try hard but was aware of the coasting symbol coming up on the dash and the revs dropping to idle, otherwise, I wouldn’t have known it was happening.

Today, my mpg was about 1mpg less than when I did the trip the other day in C mode (no coasting) in very similar traffic. Not a scientific analysis, I know, but confirms my gut feeling from previous trips using Economy mode,

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
I don't know if I have it or not! :(

I've never noticed it either driving or on the display so I presume not. o_O:oops:

OP
richlumb

richlumb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC 350d
I don't know if I have it or not! :(

I've never noticed it either driving or on the display so I presume not. o_O:oops:
You only see the message on one screen on mine

ernieh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi Q2 Sport, 2022, 1.5 Petrol
I think it's clear from the various posters on this thread that Glide Mode operates differently on different models. So on my C 220D, like others, it only operates if ECO is selected but doesn't operate in Cruise Control. Also, It won't cut in unless you come off the throttle or the system senses a down gradient. Hence you get engine braking on downhill, but not necessarily as you approach, for example, traffic lights on the level, so anticipation is helpful as has been said. Inerestingly, it won't cut in on the level if you simply cancel CC, but a blip on the throttle may then cause it to cut in.

Fuel consumption is always an interesting discussion, but I recently saw over 60 (from memory, 64ish) between Keynsham and Bromley until the stupid sat-nav diected me through Central London rather than the M25! Even then it only dropped to 58 or so for the complete journey.

Ernie

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom