GLK350 4-Matic

Thomas Coury

Reaction score
I just racked up 1,500 miles on a loaner while my ML was in the shop. The GLK I was using had the 20 wheels and some other goodies. I enjoyed every mile with that car. I'm a big guy,6'5", and I was able to get the memory settings in a comfortable spot. Sometimes I spent as much as 4 continuous hours behind the wheel in varying situations from turnpike to city driving ranging from 25-70 MPH. Other than being a little smaller than I would like, it was great and I would not hesitate to buy one. I'm not sure I would give up my slightly larger ML for a GLK, but I liked it nonetheless.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
it could be a glk sam! model X204. same stable as the g wagon i believe, possibly even an overlapping replacement for the W463?

PeterCLK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 204 Elegance saloon 220 cdi
It's rumoured to be coming here next year but only in 2WD form!

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
Not in this country!!

i cant comment on that, but i thought it was already over here! i could be confusing it with the GL though! i will bow to your superior knowledge though! it was the fact that such a model exists that led me to thing the OP had possibly not posted incorrectly :Oops::Oops:

psmart

Reaction score
The GLK exists and is plentiful over here in Stuttgart. Originally I wasnt keen, but its growing on me. A little smaller than a full SUV (ML, GL, G-Wagon) but its more based on the G-Wagon than the ML/GL range.

Seen it so far in 320cdi and 350 forms. Like most Mercs, if they make it Right hand drive (ie. for UK, India, Australia/NZ, Japan, Thailand etc),and you cant order it in the UK, order it direct in Germany, dealers will be happy to oblige.

Here is a link to the German Merc website for the GLK: http://www.mercedes-benz.de/content...rs/models/glk-class/x204.flash.html#chapter=1

PeterCLK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
No, Mercedes decided not to make this mid-size SUV in RHD form as the engineering is too complicated - i.e. too expensive.

This means that in RHD markets they have no direct competitor to X3, Q5, V60 etc.

Shame, because from the reports I've read it looks a useful vehicle.

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Can't help wondering what the OP was driving unless he was abraod at the time.

The annoying thing is that the 4wd system they use has the take-off for the front wheel drive coming from the Right Hand Side of the gearbox tunnel. This would cramp the room for the driver on RHD versions so they don't make them. Incredible that any could be so daft as to make that mistake in the first place when so many cars sell to RHD countries.

Incredible too how often car makers find problems when doing the RHD versions of their cars when the designers knew all along that RHD versions would be needed. More firings are needed IMO!

Pity as it looks really good like a smaller GL.

Attachments

• GLK from rear.jpg
    GLK from rear.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 15
  • GLK interior.jpg
    GLK interior.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 16
  • NEW GLK.jpg
    NEW GLK.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 20

ncooper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1984 Mercedes Benz 280 SL,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Manual,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Auto
Not in this country!!

Maybe Mr Coury is not in the UK.......

"The new mid-sized SUV sits on modified underpinnings from the company’s C-class 4Matic, and just like that car, the GLK has not been engineered for right hand drive and will not be sold in the UK. At least, not until 2011 when the German car maker says it plans to launch a right-hand drive version following what officials describe as “a major modification to the four-wheel drive system and a repositioning of the steering rack”.

Source,Autocar

Regards,
Nick

Last edited:

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
I think "turnpike" in his post is a clue to his location, as is the almost boastful way he mentions "70MPH" as if that's quite fast. :) .

It's unthinkable that MB didn't consider the consequences of their design limiting RHD applications - all design is compromised in some way and they probably though the AWD RHD market is quite limited. The obsession here with SUVs is fairly new and is tending to die down now.

MB have offered AWD saloon here in the past and BMW did too but neither really sold. Must admit the idea appeals to me but I do wonder if I'd go for it if offered the choice. Audi have that market to themselves in the UK - perhaps it's just too small to split.

Anyway, he might like GLK but I read some review while I was in the US a couple of mths ago and they weren't very positive. I didn't see any on the road.

psmart

Reaction score
I didn't see any on the road.
That's because they were on the back of lorries, I think with the markings ADAC/AAA :rolleyes:

Ive seen one broken down right in dead-centre Stuttgart in full public display just after it was first released!!! If that had been rolls, it would have been covered up and whisked away!

There are a lot here now though, so obviously a very popular choice with Stuttgartians!

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
It will be very popular over here if they ever sort the transmission out. SUV's are still selling well. With the new diesels will do very good mpg.

The Autocar link earlier in this thread said will be in UK by 2011.

PeterCLK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I've seen reports saying they'll only bring a 2 wheel drive version here in which case they needn't bother.

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
It will be very popular over here if they ever sort the transmission out.

Do you think so? Perhaps with the Hampshire moms ferrying their offspring to prep-school, but I can't see it being "very popular".

There's plenty of choices already, Audi Q5, Volvo XC60, BMW X3, maybe even VW Tiguan and Honda CRV and probably others. Looking at the German prices it's likely to be heading towards £40Kish even for the GLK220CDi. Would you pay that?

PeterCLK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
There's plenty of choices already, Audi Q5, Volvo XC60, BMW X3, maybe even VW Tiguan and Honda CRV and probably others. Looking at the German prices it's likely to be heading towards £40Kish even for the GLK220CDi. Would you pay that?

You could use this argument for any sector. Why buy a Mercedes estate when all the other companies make one?

It's the same reason as people buy other mercedes models - they like the brand, prefer it over others and can afford one.

alanuk400

Reaction score
Website
www.vipsec.co.uk
Your Mercedes
2018 W222 Mercedes S-Class LWB & 2006 R171 SLK 55AMG
Yes me too. Is that my earlier picture reversed in some clever way to get RHD? If so how do you do that?
It is, I just saved it, then opened it with Microsoft Office picture, Edit, Rotate and Flip, then flip horizontal, and save.

Alan

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
It is, I just saved it, then opened it with Microsoft Office picture, Edit, Rotate and Flip, then flip horizontal, and save.

Alan

Happens a lot in war films - even documentaries. Goodies always go from right to left, baddies always go the other way. It is something to do with"our perception of good and bad" - dexter v sinister. Don't ask me why!

If you watch closely, one side will have left hand drive bolt action rifles (other weapons too, but rifles are easiest to spot) - but no one ever made a bolt action rifle for left handed people!

It is all kidology.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom