glove box latch

pancholi

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2004
Messages
395
Reaction score
7
Your Mercedes
1996 SL 500 , 2003 CL55K, 2004 E320CDI
on my sl55 . the glove box door stays closed even with the open button pressed..
this happens on an erratic basis.
i have put WD40 into the mechanism , with no improvment...
any sugestions please. and instructions on dismantling if needed ..thanks
 

Hertfordshire Merx

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 16, 2009
Messages
353
Reaction score
0
Your Mercedes
A160
I'm presuming you have a 129 or 230 SL. If its the glovebox in the dash then it sounds like the cable has disconnected of the lock has developed a fault. If you take the end panel off of the dash you should gain access to get your hand in and manipulate the cable to get it open if thats the fault. Obviously if it is then remove the glovebox and refit it properly/replace any broken parts.
 
Last edited:
OP
pancholi

pancholi

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2004
Messages
395
Reaction score
7
Your Mercedes
1996 SL 500 , 2003 CL55K, 2004 E320CDI
  • Thread Starter
  • Thread starter
  • #3
it is an 2003 sl55(230).
it does open sometimes (about 20%) but the remaining 80% of the time i have to jar it open...
 

television

Always remembered RIP
Joined
Mar 14, 2005
Messages
164,073
Reaction score
331
Age
86
Location
Daventry
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I miss read the box in question, the catch in the top is adjustable, if it opens easily all the time when the car is unlocked, if it is only after the car has been locked, then it is the cable as Mercedes herts said
 
OP
pancholi

pancholi

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2004
Messages
395
Reaction score
7
Your Mercedes
1996 SL 500 , 2003 CL55K, 2004 E320CDI
  • Thread Starter
  • Thread starter
  • #5
its a pain to open at any time!!!....weather the car is locked or unlocked
 

television

Always remembered RIP
Joined
Mar 14, 2005
Messages
164,073
Reaction score
331
Age
86
Location
Daventry
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Then adjust the catch in the top.

I think that I have a how to paper on this
 
OP
pancholi

pancholi

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2004
Messages
395
Reaction score
7
Your Mercedes
1996 SL 500 , 2003 CL55K, 2004 E320CDI
  • Thread Starter
  • Thread starter
  • #7
i can feel that there are two small screw on the roof of the glove compartment, which i believe corespond with the latch....
sorry what do you mean adjust. .....forward/backward position?...cable?...mechanism?
thanks
 

television

Always remembered RIP
Joined
Mar 14, 2005
Messages
164,073
Reaction score
331
Age
86
Location
Daventry
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
You can slide that catch around wait till I find the details
 

Hertfordshire Merx

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 16, 2009
Messages
353
Reaction score
0
Your Mercedes
A160
There is a bowden cable inside a black conduit attached to the lock with a white adjuster which rotates to adjust it. Its right handed thread.
 

television

Always remembered RIP
Joined
Mar 14, 2005
Messages
164,073
Reaction score
331
Age
86
Location
Daventry
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I have the adjust paper for you.
As I will be sending you a few papers, why not activate the Email address in your user CP and save changes once you have done that
 

television

Always remembered RIP
Joined
Mar 14, 2005
Messages
164,073
Reaction score
331
Age
86
Location
Daventry
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I have sent you the paper, but Email not in your user CP,,did you save the changes at the bottom
 

jfgw

New Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2010
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hi Malcolm,

Sorry to hijack this post, but would you mind forwarding that paper to me too please? I have the same issue and just wanted to know which screws to undo to remove the side panel of the glovebox to be able to reach the adjuster wheel.

Thanks very much,
James
 

television

Always remembered RIP
Joined
Mar 14, 2005
Messages
164,073
Reaction score
331
Age
86
Location
Daventry
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hello and welcome,,I need an Email address please, and you can edit it out when you get the info
 

jfgw

New Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2010
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
No worries Malcolm, I fixed it - thanks for the info in the thread :D
 


Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom