Glow plug light 320 CDI W210

jonclancy

Reaction score
A couple of thoughts...

Hi Mick,

If it's blowing with such force, then there is a reason hidden somewhere.

If you need it fixed for your test, then I would try all 6 glow-plugs and a resolder. However, as was mentioned above, a £60 control box (recon? second hand?) could cure it, but if there is a rogue plug that measures OK, then you will short out the link in the "new" control box too.

If it's not required for the test, then I would ignore it. The car will start OK on the remaining plugs, as I have read here in the past.

HTH

Jon

Mikimogo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes C220 CDI Yr2000 w202 engine 611960 (OM611)
Hi Jon,
I'm wondering if the melting point of my solder is to low as it isn't' actually blowing the 30amp fuse wire bridge it's going at one or other of the solder joints.I have changed the bad No:4 plug with a new Bosch but still blew joint, I have another new Bosch plug which I have replaced the other 3 one by one and it has still blown the solder joint after each one. The solder joints were good and solid and the continuity across was good. I have got Some of the old type solder off my dad that you have to dip in the old Brown flux it seems a lot stiffer so hopefully it may have a higher melting point so i'll try that later. I know it's a long shot but I'm out of ideas.
Any more ideas would be greatfully received.
Have I done right by continuing this thread or would I mabe have got more response by starting a new thread, as people who have already used this thread may think that it's already been solved an not still being added to?.
I have even tried with the case off the relay and you can actually see No:4 blow at the joint when you turn it over.

Last edited:

jonclancy

Reaction score
I'd try replacing all 4 plugs at once - to eliminate a rogue plug.

But, logic says it's in the No4 position... OK, could be a short or blown component in the control box that's doing this. that's why I'd take a shotgun approach and change the plugs and box at the same time.

I used low-melt solder for my repairs with no problem - a cold joint might increase resistance at that point and blow, perhaps? Dunno. Is your soldering all nice and shiny?

I'd keep this thread alive - every reply bumps it to the top!!

Mikimogo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes II think you''re right Jon.
It looks like another 2 plugs and control box. The solder joints are nice and shiny and for extra strength I made sure the solder went all the way round the original link and not just on the top.
Have also checked all the solder joints on the underside of the board an everything there seems fine.

Mikimogo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
What have I missed?

Hi all,
Well I've replaced all 4 plugs number 2 took half a can of WD40 and 2 hrs to get out. It undid easily enough but wouldn't come out so had to keep squirting WD40 around it and keep working it round whilst giving a slight upward pressure also when it did come out I had to spray the old plug with WD40 and kept dropping it back into the hole until it dropped all the way in freely and no soot came away on the tip. If you don't get rid of all the soot build up in the pot or you'll have the same problem again. what seems to have happened is whoever changed them last time changed 1,3 & 4 and left No:2 because it wouldn't come out so I got the job. So anyway I changed them all with 2 Bosch and 2 Beru but the relay No:4 link still blows, I've got another one off Ebay but I want to wait untill I've got some feedback from this question before I risk it. "Is there anything else that could cause the link to blow that I should check first or is there just the Plugs and Relay". I suspect that it will be the Relay because although No:4 plug was open cuircuit registering 0 ohms the cap had actually somehow popped off as well which wouldn't have helped the matter I don't think.
So I await with braited breath for anyones input.:confused:

Last edited:

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
My guess would be as above - your solder joints not being up to the job.
What can happen, is the solder can be melted onto a part, without actually bonding properly to it - obviously enough heat is needed, and flux cored solder.
What size fuse are you soldering in? You do not say the fuse blows, so this points to the solder joint being poor.

Mikimogo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi,
Well bit the bullet and put in th replacement relay £30 + £10 postage and up to yet no light since so yes job done.
Thanks to everyone who have helped me on this.

Last edited:

simonC200

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 2004
Hi
Replaced glow plugs at 92,000 on E300 turbo diesel - two faulty so replaced the lot just in case. Now two of them have failed at 112,000. Surely they should last longer than 20,000 miles, two years?
Would welcome comments as want to complain to supplier..

bigtwin

Banned
Reaction score
Well, mine are all original at 135K/13 years and going strong. 20K/24 months is absurd.

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
Hi
Replaced glow plugs at 92,000 on E300 turbo diesel - two faulty so replaced the lot just in case. Now two of them have failed at 112,000. Surely they should last longer than 20,000 miles, two years?
Would welcome comments as want to complain to supplier..

I am guessing they were NGK or Denso, suggest you stick with Beru or Bosch.

muris_bosnia

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220/2001/105kW
Hello,

Car: Mercedes C220 CDI 2001, 105kW 260.000km on the clock

Problem is this:

Since yesterday glowplug light started staying on after engine is just started. It stays on for about 30-60 seconds (not any longer) and turns off after car is moving for a bit.

I looked at several topics but i still have no idea where to look so i can locate the problem.

I doubt that one or more glowplugs are dead because car starts very easily even on low temperatures and when completely cold but what do i know, that's just my assumption.

Before this started happening i had this issue: LINK
After that was resolved, i cleaned the engine with water (because there was a lot of fuel spilled around). Could it be that water damaged something? And if so, where to look at?

Also i had this issue with power seat fuse: LINK

There are three fuses for the seat, and one blowing up was in the trunk (number 2 in order).

There, that's all of the issues i had.

Question is, where to look, what to check?

P.S.

Is it bad for the engine that glowplug stays on for such period of time?
Thank you! :)

Last edited:

om613

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S202 C250TD, S123 240TD
Cdi engines start without glow plugs, but will run rough at first when it's cold.

You will likely have one or more glow plugs that have failed. Check their resistance with a DVM and a Google.

If the resistance test values show otherwise, then suspect their controller box, or big 80A fuse, both mounted on the inner wing.

neilto

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E280 Estate Sport 2007, 1976 Alfa Spider, 2001 Landcruiser, 2013 BMW M135i, Fiat Ducato Motorhome
I've been fiddling with my glow plugs today and have replaced them all with new ones but I still have the light staying on for about a minute so I suspect the relay.
Mine is a V6 211 so where is the relay located and where can get a spare one from please.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
I've been fiddling with my glow plugs today and have replaced them all with new ones but I still have the light staying on for about a minute so I suspect the relay.
Mine is a V6 211 so where is the relay located and where can get a spare one from please.

My R Class R320's looks something like this http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/271940542613-0-1/s-l1000.jpg and it lives at the front of the block towards the driver's side. Mine came from MB after they price matched the interweb :wink:

Last edited:

neilto

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E280 Estate Sport 2007, 1976 Alfa Spider, 2001 Landcruiser, 2013 BMW M135i, Fiat Ducato Motorhome
thanks I'll have a look tomorrow but I don't recall seeing anything like that in the 3 hours it took me to dismantle and reassemble all the air cleaning plumbing that needed to come off to get to the plugs. Just for back in from resetting all of the codes that was bringing on the engine warning light - hope they stay off!
This car is stupidly complicated.

neilto

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OK so I have taken off a unit that I think ids the glow plug relay. It was at the very front of the engine block and looks like this

It has no Mercedes or Beru logos on it - just a part number which is 0002586593

Putting this number into google yields nothing relevant so I'm nut sure that this is the right thing can any one advise please.

neilto

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Only trouble is I cannot see a way to get into it to do any repairs and Mercedes are charging £194.40 for a new one!

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom