Glow plugs Disaster!

ebony266

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E300 W210
well

:shock: dit it work . i like everyone is waiting to see if kevins superperb efforts have paid of !!! oh and kevin very generous of you to give so much time and effort to others well done !!!!!:) you could be the next malcome ?

OP
G

Google44

Reaction score
First of all, I was extremely impressed with quality of the tool and kevin’s ingenuity when I received the parcel.

I have tried it yesterday and in short it did not work. Here is what I have done.

First of all, I have realised that once when 10 mil nut is tight it does make much difference on the grip on tip leftover as the grabbing forks cannot contract much in. So, I have tighten it by hand and added another full circle with socket, tried to move it and it looked as if it is grabbed on something. The extraction shortly reviled it failed.

I have warmed the engine then and tried again but gave a bit more then just one circle tight on 10 mm nut. The forks did deffo grab on the tip or wire as there was some marks on inner side of forks. No luck again.

The last time I have tighten it up a bit more. I’ve put the wire around the tool and secured it on the rest of the car as the plan was to drive around but did not want to lose the tool in case if it pops out.

It did not work. Unfortunately, when I removed the tool I’ve realised that one of the 4 forks has snapped of.

Here is the pic of the tip and the tool

I need advice from Kev now. I was going to bend the remaining 3 legs inwards to mod it to grip on the wire instead of tip. I can send it back as well. Also, if there would be a second go on this I will bring the car to Kev

Regardless of not being very lucky with this a bottle of whisky will go to Kevin for the effort. This is not so much about taking this out but also to prove the point that tip can be extracted out without taking the head off.

Thanks again

Attachments

• IMAGE_058.jpg
    IMAGE_058.jpg
    343.5 KB · Views: 67
  • IMAGE_062.jpg
    IMAGE_062.jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

kebo57

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml270
Hi looks like you had a good attempt at the job,

cant fault the gradual progression of the tool to destruction

"don't worry about busting the tool"

if it got hold and it was as far down as possible then that's all I could have done myself

seeing the first picture
the wire is a lot longer then I imagined I did put some relief in the collet for the wire, but don't know if it was enough for what I can now see,
if it wasn't then the tool could have bottomed out in the wire and not the cylinder head
so it might not have grabbed as much as it could have

remember "the cup's always half full" :):rolleyes:

Bending the remaining 3 legs inwards to mod it to grip on the wire
this wont work as there isn't enough width in the slots to accommodate such a difference in diameters
I've been thinking about this as I write

The thing to do now is to post the tool back up to me, as I cant make a collet to grip the wire as I never took any measurements of the tool.

Then I can mess with the tool and you can come up and we can have another crack at it

Kevin

Last edited:
OP
G

Google44

Reaction score
Ok. will post it within next few days. I think it did have a grip at the end of the wire (think it gets a bit wider at the end) or tip itself. I've measured the lengt itself from the point when it starts to grip and it looks like it around where the tip should be. Since then I have purchased two more same type plugs and will send you one of them with so you can open it to see what the tip looks like inside.

I would be more then glad to take this tip out now. It is more then personal. I would take it to a few local garages to prove the point then.

I am still looking at the 3 legs left. You are right that there WAS no enough clearance with 4 legs. It looks that now 3 legs will pull in. The collect is widened up a bit but still fits in head.

Thinking about it, there was defo a grip in there. When loose I could move it left to right easy. Once 10 mm only was tight it felt solid.

Last edited:
OP
G

Google44

Reaction score
Kev

I've post it all today. Hope it arrives OK. I was not sure what do you drink. As most of us software eng. drink whisky thought it would be OK. :)

Alex

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W638, W140, W220, W639 All gone but not forgotten
Kev

drink whisky thought it would be OK. :)

Alex

If there are any whisky drinkers on the forum who would like to try one of the smoothest whiskys on the market I would like to recommend one that I'm sure you will enjoy

It is Auchentoshan Three Wood.

The distillery is on the outskirts of Glasgow and their products are highly regarded as some of the best in the industry

Auchentoshan Distillery

kebo57

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml270
Hi "whisky" that takes me back to earlier this year we stayed at
Glengorm Castle
http://www.glengormcastle.co.uk/index.htm
They had whisky lined up on a shelf in the library you could help your self to it (free) as you watched the sun set over the Atlantic with views over 60 miles to the Outer Hebrides.
thing is there was 18 different bottles (brands)
I don't drink whisky, but I did that night about 1/2 a pint of it.
I rose the morning after about 7 O'Clock my head was a clear as a bell, went for a 6 mile run over the fells on the estate before breakfast I couldn't believe it

Kevin

Last edited:
OP
G

Google44

Reaction score
Kev,

Can you let me know if it's arrived OK.

Thanks

kebo57

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml270
Kev,

Thanks
Hi been out on the Thursday bike ride 70 mls, when I got back there was the red slip behind the door so something is down at the post office I will get it tomorrow

Thanks Kevin

kebo57

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml270
Kev,

Thanks
Well something was down at the post office :p a parcel with a pleasant aroma the guy behind the counter was a bit reluctant to hand it over he kept grinning and having a whiff of it, when I opened it there was a bottle of whisky the top had damage and had leaked very slightly enough to to create the aroma that would prove difficult for him to hand the parcel over.
Whow "The Crocker"
I've never heard of this brand of whisky but boy does it taste good having a glass as I type this :D, best I've ever tasted!

I really appreciate your kind gift cheers:D:D:D

Kevin

PS going to google "The Crocker" tomorow see what turn up

Last edited:
OP
G

Google44

Reaction score
Glad you like it. It is from USA and I found it to be very nice. The bottle you got is at least 10 years old.

Enjoy it;)

OP
G

Google44

Reaction score
Update - help

The glow plug finally came out today at 60 MPH. Unfortunately, it burned some cables in a small fire. The cables have been rejoined but after new plug is fitted the following error codes are displayed:

P0100 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Malfunction
P1189 Inlet port shutoff M55 (Inlet port shutoff motor)
P1403 Exhaust gas recirculation Flow check
P1470 Charge pressure control
P1636 electric inspiration motor/air condition

Vehicle is in limp mode now. When codes cleared they pop up again within a second. Any clue? Could it be a relay/fuse damaged when it happened while cables were shorted?

BTW above faults (after being cleared), show up as soon as ignition is on - dont need to turn the engine on!

Last edited:

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
yes, blown fuse, have you checked them?

also, to save me trawling thorough the thread again what vehicle is this? why not add the vehicle to your profile so we do not have to ask. tell me what vehicle and i will tell you what fuse.

OP
G

Google44

Reaction score
ML270 cdi

thanks for reply and sorry for not mentioning the vehicle. It is ML270 cdi. What fuse would that be as common to all this error codes? I will check all fuses under the bonnet

OP
G

Google44

Reaction score
Is there a way to check MAF without taking it to MB?

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
could be fuse f14 in main fusebox, but more likely fuse f24/8 in seperate fuse holder in rear of fuse compartment - you have to undo the T20 bolts to remove this cover.

OP
G

Google44

Reaction score
Now alarm

The fuses are all OK. However, the MAF was replaced and car seems OK now. On the other side, which could be completely coincidentally, the alarm goes off very audibly now about 30 secs after vehicle is locked via remote. I think delay is a time allowed for alarm to be armed.

Is there a way to find out what triggers the alarm? Perhaps the little RED led flashes count or similar?

Is there a way to lock vehicle without activating alarm? Some suggestions are to press ON TOW every time before exiting the car. Did not manage to try it yet but just wonder if it would work.

Thanks

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom