Glow Plugs

Bluegrass

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 E320 Avantgarde 2000
Hello all,

Until recently my W210 2001 CDI used to fire up straight away once the glow plug light went out, but in the past few days it takes several turns of the engine before it starts up.( the light always goes out once the car is running)

The plugs were changed in 2005 when I bought the car and have driven it for about 25000 miles since then.

Is it time for them to be changed?

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
usually when glow plugs are shot, the light comes on for a minute or so after the car has started. are you running on ordinary diesel? is it good fuel (no water etc in it)? after checking those items, my next check would be for air in the fuel.

OP
Bluegrass

Bluegrass

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks Turbopete,

I use BP or Shell. Sometimes I fill up with their premium diesels.

The light goes out as soon as the car starts.

If it's air in the fuel what's the procedure to remove it.

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
hello blue grass, i would suspect an injector fault as most likely. as pete suggests, it will not be a glow plug fault. there are quite a few possibilities but the injector leak off is most common. a simple leak off test is first thing to do, this is usually conclusive one way or the other.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
i did wonder about injectors myself, AP, but given my experiences with air in the fuel with my car (still ongoing) i felt it was another worthwile opinion to throw in. wouldnt a bad injector just cause a misfire on a cdi?

OP
Bluegrass

Bluegrass

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thank you for the replies.

I'll check it on the weekend.

qurm

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E300DT 1999
I have had similar starting problems, just this last week as the weather has got colder. I can see air in the clear pipes behind the fuel filter.

As a test I put grease around the o rings, topped up the filter with diesel and it started OK. I'll put this down to the colder thicker fuel and colder, stiffer o rings letting more air in than previously.

1999 W210 E300

Andy

Hertfordshire Merx

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160
Sounds like you have air in the system and this can be caused by numerous problems bu predominantly fuel injectors leaking off via the spill lines causing the air to enter the system. Or, its possible for a fuel pipe seal to be split or deformed, it may be the smallest of kinks somewhere, just need to find it.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom