Going to Look at an E320CDI - Any Pointers?

Seeker_UK

Reaction score
Hi all (back again - can't stay away :D)

I've currently got a Saab on my drive, not a bad car by any stretch of the imagination but was only a temporary car to get me to work cheaply after having a nightmare ownership experience with an Audi 2.5TDI - if you want to know how badly a diesel can go wrong, get one. The amount of money I spent on it would have made even st4 blanche...... ;)

Anyway, my budget is 6-6.5k and the shortlist is down to a Jaguar 2.7 diesel or an E320CDI / E270CDI (tried a BMW 530d - *meh*). Tomorrow I'm going to look at a 53 plate (103k on the clock) 320CDI AG (all the options: CD multiplayer, heated memory seats, leather, panoramic roof, parktronic, bluetooth, no COMANd tho :() and it seems a goody. I have no problems with that mileage and an initial look would suggest it's in fairly good order. Other than looking for a valeo rad (which I assume is still a concern on a car of that age) are there any other things to look out for?

Thanks in advance as ever.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Hi all (back again - can't stay away :D)

I've currently got a Saab on my drive, not a bad car by any stretch of the imagination but was only a temporary car to get me to work cheaply after having a nightmare ownership experience with an Audi 2.5TDI - if you want to know how badly a diesel can go wrong, get one. The amount of money I spent on it would have made even st4 blanche...... ;)

Anyway, my budget is 6-6.5k and the shortlist is down to a Jaguar 2.7 diesel or an E320CDI / E270CDI (tried a BMW 530d - *meh*). Tomorrow I'm going to look at a 53 plate (103k on the clock) 320CDI AG (all the options: CD multiplayer, heated memory seats, leather, panoramic roof, Parktronic, bluetooth, no COMAND tho :() and it seems a goody. I have no problems with that mileage and an initial look would suggest it's in fairly good order. Other than looking for a Valeo rad (which I assume is still a concern on a car of that age) are there any other things to look out for?

Thanks in advance as ever.

Welcome back!

So, other marques fail too then? Quel surprise!

I had a W 211 of exactly the age and very much the spec that you are going to see. Absolutely cracking car. They were galvanized by the time that car was made, so there should be no rust. I doubt if there is a Valeo radiator, but sensible to check.

The vogue for having gearbox fluid changed at 37,000 miles has come to pass since that car was made, so that would be a point of interest.

Around 100,000 miles, I suppose the "Black death" is becoming a possibility, so worth looking for. Many of these cars seem to develop uneven wear on the front tyres (inner edges IIRC).

Other than that, if it looks good and drives well, it should be fine. Dosco bought a 270 of similar age and mileage and he is delighted. mileage does not matter much. The way the car has been looked after generally, and the service record will tell you everything that you need to know.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Welcome back :D:D a friend of ours in Sweden had the SAAB, sadly they only got 1 months use out of it in 12 as it was in the workshop for all that time.

The 211 is a good car,,, any things like glycol are a cheap fix these days with mods etc. The body is one of the most expensive things to put right. it may have the 7g box at 53, but there again the 722.6 is a wonderful box.

OP
Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

I've been to look at the car, no real nasties, stack of bills, (recent front suspension components changed, I noted) drove beautifully. It's an 03 not a 53 so deffo a 5 speed box.

What's "Black Death"? Is that like "sludging" on a Saab?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Yes it is,, but we have the EGR mod on here, simple and it puts an end to it

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
It won't have a 7g and is ripe for the valeo fault. Check for a judder when changing gear. If it doesn't its fine and you can check the rad later on and change it to a Behr on Nissens one for under £150 and have no difficulty. Otherwise they are damn fine cars.

7g didn't rear it's ugly head until late 2005 on the 211.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?gtmlpc

OP
Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK

Reaction score
Oh well, based on your advice looks like I'm going to have to buy this then. :D

mercedes-benz-e-class-saloon-e320-cdi-avantgarde-4dr-tip-auto-2025435707-640x480.jpg

It's the panoramic roof wot dun it for me.

I hope it's a good 'un. Time will tell. ;)

[edit]

Out of interest, with the standard 9 speaker fit on a 211, are there speakers in the parcel shelf?

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom