Good Indie for ABC suspension work in Nottingham

AJBaird

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500
Hi Everyone

When I bought my 2003 SL500, one of the first things I did was book it in for a suspension service. Preventative maintenance I had hoped, but I got a call to say I had a leaking pump, leaking valve block and two leaking pipes. The quoted price for repair was £4k! Not what I wanted to hear... I asked to have the car back while I sourced parts. On inspection, I definitely do have two weeping lines, I'm not entirely sure about the pump as it is difficult to see it all, even with my inspection camera, but I've bought a recon one anyway. The valve block isn't leaking externally at all, but the nearside front will begin to sag if the car isn't used for a couple of weeks.

I used MBNottingham and the guy I spoke to seemed reasonable enough and was happy to give me part numbers for the parts they said I needed. When they returned the car I was a little surprised to see that it was set at maximum ride height and when I opened the bonnet I saw that the fuse box lid was of and the battery positive terminal protector was sitting on the vent rather than on the battery. Not the end of the world, but not exactly fantastic attention to detail. Fixing the ABC issues will require great attention to detail and I'm therefore tempted to look around to seen what alternatives may be available. I'm obviously concerned about costs (MB suggested a labour bill of around £1200), but I also want to be sure that the job is done right.

Does anyone have suggestions for indies in or around Nottingham?

Cheers

Andrew

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Not exactly Nottingham but Mercland Nuneaton is only 40 miles.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Mercland certainly know their way around ABC.

@V6Matty this is your neck of the woods, any recommendations?

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Forgot to say. We can help you in sourcing parts; this forum has plenty of experience. Actually just on this page, LostKiwi and I have plenty of experience..!

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
Mercland certainly know their way around ABC.

@V6Matty this is your neck of the woods, any recommendations?
Thanks for tagging me in @Craiglxviii.
There are a couple in Nottingham that are good, I use MB Centre which is out near the Racecourse, and one of the other members here uses someone out on Radford Road (just can’t remember their name off the top of my head), both have good knowledge of the systems and about the same price per hour.

edit: just found their name Mercserv, and it’s used by @DSK i believe,

Last edited:

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Hi Everyone

When I bought my 2003 SL500, one of the first things I did was book it in for a suspension service. Preventative maintenance I had hoped, but I got a call to say I had a leaking pump, leaking valve block and two leaking pipes. The quoted price for repair was £4k! Not what I wanted to hear... I asked to have the car back while I sourced parts. On inspection, I definitely do have two weeping lines, I'm not entirely sure about the pump as it is difficult to see it all, even with my inspection camera, but I've bought a recon one anyway. The valve block isn't leaking externally at all, but the nearside front will begin to sag if the car isn't used for a couple of weeks.

I used MBNottingham and the guy I spoke to seemed reasonable enough and was happy to give me part numbers for the parts they said I needed. When they returned the car I was a little surprised to see that it was set at maximum ride height and when I opened the bonnet I saw that the fuse box lid was of and the battery positive terminal protector was sitting on the vent rather than on the battery. Not the end of the world, but not exactly fantastic attention to detail. Fixing the ABC issues will require great attention to detail and I'm therefore tempted to look around to seen what alternatives may be available. I'm obviously concerned about costs (MB suggested a labour bill of around £1200), but I also want to be sure that the job is done right.

Does anyone have suggestions for indies in or around Nottingham?

Cheers

Andrew
You are doing the right thing by avoiding main dealer prices buddy .

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
I personally user Mercserve as my local indy. I'd not hesitate to use any first hand recommendations mentioned.

OP
A

AJBaird

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500
Thanks for all of the responses. Nuneaton isn't too far away, but it sounds like Mercserve may well be worth a call.

Cheers

Andrew

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
How did you get on?

OP
A

AJBaird

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500
Hi

I'm afraid I haven't progressed things yet - partly a bit of ill health distracting me and party because I'm waiting on my recon valve block to arrive. I figured I might as well get all of the parts together, before I went anywhere else. There is always the chance that another garage will disagree with the original diagnosis, but I went into part hunting mode - eBay...

I should get things moving later this week, or early next. I'll no doubt be back here then recounting tales of woe or success...

Thanks again for the information and support. It really helps to have forums like this and as time goes on and my experience with the SL increases, I should be able to start 'giving something back'.

Cheers

Andrew

OP
A

AJBaird

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500
I'm afraid health problems have continued to slow me down and the Z4 required some attention over the weekend.

I had problems with the supplier of the recon valve block, so have now bought a second hand unit from Estonia, together with a refurb kit.

If anyone who has done a valve block refurb has any top tips, they would be very welcome.

Cheers

Andrew

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Get well soon bud.

Z4, get your priorities right man

OP
A

AJBaird

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500
Perhaps shouldn't have mentioned the Z4 on this forum!

I found a video on the valve block refurb, but one of the comments under the vid was that they'd made the job look easier than it actually is... In theory it can't be that difficult to change a load of o-rings and I've got a good ultrasonic cleaner to ensure that block itself is completely clean before re-assembly, but it would be nice to hear of any pitfalls from someone who has ben through the process.

Cheers

Andrew

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Not done it myself and never would,
But make sure you get genuine everthing, sealt, bolts, gaskets, you name it.

Make sure you have a good torque wrench and know the torques of every bolt.

OP
A

AJBaird

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500
I'll rebuild the valve block, but I think the job of replacing it, the pump and the two front lines will be left to an indie - unfortunately I don't have undercover space for such a big job.

I'll speak to Mercland and Mercserve, once I have all of the parts ready.

I'm just really looking forward to driving the car without one eye focused on the dash for warnings...

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I'm just really looking forward to driving the car without one eye focused on the dash for warnings...
Sadly that's something that never really goes away with a 230...

I call it beepophobia

OP
A

AJBaird

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500
Well, I'm already planning to rebuild the valve block that comes out for when the rear inevitably goes...

I'm sure I can get used to the beepophobia!

Chears

Andrew

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom