Good pads for 64 plate c220d

AnthonyUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C240 estate 2002
I can't say I have ever heard of APEC or used them but one useful feature on their website is that you can look up all the brake options for your car and who made them originally e.g. w203 sport brakes are Brembo where standard are Lucas.

APEC appear from reviews to be OK for regular road use but a bit 'fadey'.

noonboots

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL 500 2003 M113 5.0l
You are right- I’m always sad about that. It’s hugely helpful when conclusions are posted and I make sure to acknowledge those who do!
Hate to admit though, no knowledge of APEC pads? I must get out more :oops:
Have a look at their web site. They are not just importers of cheap pads, they supply everything to do with braking.If you need a fitting kit,sliders etc they have a parts list for the vehicle. For the SL I bought , discs, pads, handbrake shoes, wear sensors and fitting kits. All in sealed APEC branded boxes from the same supplier on next day delivery. I like quality touches eg, If pads require anti squeal backings they come fitted to the pads( not put in the box to fit yourself), always contain bolts if required and they are always well finished. Some cheap and some expensive pads you buy have thick paint on the edges that make them a tight fit. It doesn't inspire confidence in quality control.

noonboots

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I can't say I have ever heard of APEC or used them but one useful feature on their website is that you can look up all the brake options for your car and who made them originally e.g. w203 sport brakes are Brembo where standard are Lucas.

noonboots

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The problem with internet forum reviews is that most of them are based on one owner using one set of pads in one type of car and also most of the reviews are too old to be relevant. Too many of the reviewers also have what I call the iPhone/ Dyson mentality of the most expensive must be the best and cheaper options must be rubbish.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Web site is quite impressive certainly, it tells me mine were Brembo which was probably right at the time. On AMG they are often TRW these days.

AnthonyUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C240 estate 2002
The problem with internet forum reviews is that most of them are based on one owner using one set of pads in one type of car and also most of the reviews are too old to be relevant. Too many of the reviewers also have what I call the iPhone/ Dyson mentality of the most expensive must be the best and cheaper options must be rubbish.

Although in your case, one person who may have fitted many pads ;)

TBH, As the price difference is negligible and I'm satisfied with the quality of Brembo, it is very unlikely I'll change at least on a Mercedes.
The Brembo parts I've fitted on my past few cars are easily available, have included clips, caliper bolts and disc retaining screws etc, have decent braking for what I want and last well.

The APEC are not that widely available apart from ebay.

Last edited:

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive

I’ve never used their pads. But on a previous car I had 365mm J-Hooked APEC discs and they were fine. The anti corrosion coating on them is the best I’ve experienced. Had done 32k miles and they were on the car when I sold it.

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
Paying £30 to get someone to fit them is a no brainer anyway!
this is how I see all DIY. First off, do I have the tools? Secondly, do I have the skills the jobs, and do it to a safe manner, and can be happy with the results. And then there is, how many times will I have to do said job.
Usually the outlay of the tools is enough for me to ask someone else to do it, who will a lot quicker than me, and who will hopefully do it to a better standard than me.
Also I don't have a flat drive :D

noonboots

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
this is how I see all DIY. First off, do I have the tools? Secondly, do I have the skills the jobs, and do it to a safe manner, and can be happy with the results. And then there is, how many times will I have to do said job.
Usually the outlay of the tools is enough for me to ask someone else to do it, who will a lot quicker than me, and who will hopefully do it to a better standard than me.
Also I don't have a flat drive :D
I find some the questions asked by first time diy'ers quite worrying. Some of the answers even more so. It sets me thinking are you sure you should be doing these jobs?
Isn't it strange that you're not allowed to fit an electrical socket in your house or push the connector from your cooker on to the gas supply but you are allowed to fit brakes to a car capable of 155mph.?

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
I find some the questions asked by first time diy'ers quite worrying. Some of the answers even more so. It sets me thinking are you sure you should be doing these jobs?
Isn't it strange that you're not allowed to fit an electrical socket in your house or push the connector from your cooker on to the gas supply but you are allowed to fit brakes to a car capable of 155mph.?

You can do those things. You just need someone qualified to check and sign it off, making it pointless as you have to pay anyway.

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I agree, which makes me think I shouldn't touch my cars brakes! Even though I am sure I could following instructions, there is always a chance that I could miss something.

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You can do those things. You just need someone qualified to check and sign it off, making it pointless as you have to pay anyway.
Yep, and there are less and less people willing to put their name to someone else's gas boiler install.

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
I agree, which makes me think I shouldn't touch my cars brakes! Even though I am sure I could following instructions, there is always a chance that I could miss something.

I’ve done everything from change brakes to replace a cylinder head on previous cars. Not had to do anything major on the Mercs myself fortunately.

To be honest even with brakes there’s not a lot than can go majorly wrong that the dash won’t tell you (or your foot) within the first few metres of driving. But if you’re not confident then it’s better to pay someone who is competent.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Remember, rear caliper on the 205 has the handbrake mechanism in it, and needs to be put into service position. Do not force them back in or you will damage the caliper.

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I’ve done everything from change brakes to replace a cylinder head on previous cars. Not had to do anything major on the Mercs myself fortunately.

To be honest even with brakes there’s not a lot than can go majorly wrong that the dash won’t tell you (or your foot) within the first few metres of driving. But if you’re not confident then it’s better to pay someone who is competent.
When I've watched this on YouTube it is very similar to my mountain bike, just a lot smaller. If I had someone to check what I had done, or someone to take over I would give it a go. I will decide closer to the time. I changed a fuel pump once in an MG Metro, and that was before YouTube.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Like Carl, I’ve done most things and still know how to- last thing I did was the pads on this one- the rears were a PITA to be honest and like a lot of thing DIY or mechanically based I’m at an age now where I can’t be bothered with the hassle!
When I retire I might do more but at the moment I’ve enough occupying my time - quality time is hard to find and I’m fortunate enough to be able to pay my way to get someone to do these jobs, as well as being fortunate enough to know some good people who know me and won’t try to take the p1ss...
I wouldn’t be so harsh to criticise those who are willing to give it a go, in the end its the only way to learn!

AnthonyUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C240 estate 2002
When I've watched this on YouTube it is very similar to my mountain bike, just a lot smaller. If I had someone to check what I had done, or someone to take over I would give it a go. I will decide closer to the time. I changed a fuel pump once in an MG Metro, and that was before YouTube.

Hydraulics is like electronics but visible. Any problems tend to be evident by the puddle of hydraulic fluid :D
That being said, if you are in any doubt about your ability to complete the task then definitely employ someone who can.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom