A Class A250 w176
Finally got round to giving my car it's last coat of Sonax BSD ready for winter
Thought I'd take a few picys with a nice drop back

And one of my favourite bead shots.

Dogfish

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL203 C220 CDI SE Sports Coupe. 2002.
How many coats of Sonax? My bottle says 2. After 2 coats I found it pretty much covered most of the minute stone chips on the front bumper and that they have disappeared. The colour is Jasper Blue metallic. (code 345). A very nice blue in the sunshine.
When she is home from the sprayshop I'll give her another coat of Sonax and make some rain with a hosepipe, or is this cheating? :mrgreen::mrgreen:

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
Maximum 4 coats is all that is required. Any more and you're just wasting the product.

OP
B

Bennyboy A250

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A Class A250 w176
That's how meny coats I've given my car and for a silver car I've got quite a deep shine to :cool:

davecw000

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350/2005
I've used that and I eventually settled for the Hybrid Net Protect. It's durability is about the same even though PNS is claimed to be longer.

Hybrid Net Protect is a lot better to apply and not as fussy.

I like the idea of having a longer lasting shine with less polishing. Like the sound of Sonax Hybrid Net Protect

Am I right in thinking the car does not need polished first?
Can the car simply be washed then have Sonax Hybrid Net Protect applied? (Paint/surface condition dependant)

Or what would be the best process?
Clay – Polish - Sonax Hybrid Net Protect
Clay - Sonax Hybrid Net Protect – Polish
Polish - Sonax Hybrid Net Protect

Thanks

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
Deleted as trying to get my 18mth old daughter to sleep and she hit send halfway through.

Will reply properly later.

But Clay, Polish, Sonax.

Last edited:

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
Righto.

Always polish before applying any coating for the first time and then it will bond to the clearcoat rather than any other coating on there. This will give you the best results especially for longevity.

If you Clay you should polish as you marr the paint no matter how careful you are.

Polishing is to remove any previous coatings and imperfections in the clearcoat.

The Sonax is then there to protect the finished polishing result. Think of it as a sacrificial layer that is acting as a guard. Basically that's what it does.

So Wash, Clay, Polish and then apply. Hybrid Net Protect.

davecw000

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350/2005
Carl - Many thanks for the response, and making the process clear. Other reviews, from other sites all contradicted themselves. I will take your recommendations as the way to go .... VMT

Nile Griffith

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 Sl350 R230
The only thing I would advise against is waterless wash. Unless you're doing it every day with absolute minimum dirt on the car then you will be causing damage by inflicting minor swirl marks and marring. This is caused by the dirt being dragged around the car.

It is far better to wash using a proper lambswool or microfibre wash mitt. Use two buckets. One with clean soapy water and one with clean water.

Dip the mitt in the soapy water & wash the car a panel at a time. After each panel rinse the mitt in the clean water and then repeat. Whenever you rinse the mitt be careful not to touch the bottom of the bucket. I also rinse each panel after washing to stop soap drying on the panel.

Don't worry if you feel the soap isn't causing many suds. As long as you have followed the dilution ratios it's what's in the water that does the work not the amount of suds.

This way you will not inflict any damage to the car.

If you clay the car you should polish it as even the most careful use will cause some damage. Ideally with a machine polisher but by hand is fine.

4 coats of Sonax xtreme brilliant shine detailer (24hrs minimum between each coat) and then you will just need to wash your car with the 2 bucket method for the next 4mths or so.

Oh and don't be put off by the use of the word damage. By this I mean swirling and marring (very fine scratches) and nothing that can't be corrected. Unless you drag a sheet of 40grit sandpaper around the car. ;)

Must admit I thought the two bucket thing was a step too far originally but am now a devotee. Meguiars sell a bucket that has a raised grid that sits in the bottom of the bucket, this grid helps stop you from inadvertently picking up dirt from the bottom of the bucket onto your wash mitt or cloth (it's actually quite scary to see whats in the bottom of the bucket when you finish).

I'm a big advocate of regular rinsing. I'm fortunate in that I have a good sized forecourt to get around the car(s) and the availability of a pressure washer. So I tend to wash the roof.... rinse of with the power washer, wash one side at a time..... rinse, front, back, you get the drift. Dried soapy water kills the shine no end, especially when it gets smeared around when your drying the car.

If you are claying your car you definitely need to polish afterwards. However give a little thought to why you feel the need to clay your paintwork. Claying is abrasive and is just as capable of introducing fine marks, swirls and holograms into the surface of the clear coat as washing with a dirty sponge or mitt. So think about what it is thats contaminating the surface of you clear coat that you think it requires claying to remove it. if it's something like tree sap, spits of road tar and the remnants of tiny critters. Could they be better removed from your paint by using some of the various solutions that are available, rather than pulling them away from your clear coat with a clay bar?

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
So I tend to wash the roof.... rinse of with the power washer, wash one side at a time..... rinse, front, back, you get the drift. Dried soapy water kills the shine no end, especially when it gets smeared around when your drying the car.

I think we all have routine when we wash the car. Yours is pretty much identical to mine. Roof first Wheels last :rolleyes:

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I’ve a couple of bottles of Sonax BSD in my garage I don’t use now... anyone who is likely to see me at a meet pm me and I’ll make sure it’s in the car and you’re welcome to it

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
I’ve a couple of bottles of Sonax BSD in my garage I don’t use now... anyone who is likely to see me at a meet pm me and I’ll make sure it’s in the car and you’re welcome to it

If only you were near me!!!!

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom