Got the ULEZ letter today from MoT

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
JCB have done electric baby stuff, but concluded we must make hydrogen work in conventional piston engines for the construction environment due to energy need in mega trucks and access to leccy etc.

if we'd put 1/4 of money spent on failed nuclear fuel madness the whole world would have had free wind, wave and solar power and we'd have saved the planet 25 years ago

nuclear needs a super power army for a 1000 years just to protect the waste and in that time how many disasters do we want....windscale (UK), three mile island (USA), chenobyl (Ukraine), fukashima (Japan) and the little disclosed french one (we by pure luck just managed to avert) that would have been so massive it would have taken us all out in europe !!!

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Can you imagine the amount of horse poop everywhere if everyone went back to horse and cart!? Then their will be a health hazard to humans no doubt!....can't win really!!
The ICE saved London at the beginning of the 20th Century

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
The ICE saved London at the beginning of the 20th Century
And New York, and every major city.

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
JCB have done electric baby stuff, but concluded we must make hydrogen work in conventional piston engines for the construction environment due to energy need in mega trucks and access to leccy etc.

if we'd put 1/4 of money spent on failed nuclear fuel madness the whole world would have had free wind, wave and solar power and we'd have saved the planet 25 years ago

nuclear needs a super power army for a 1000 years just to protect the waste and in that time how many disasters do we want....windscale (UK), three mile island (USA), chenobyl (Ukraine), fukashima (Japan) and the little disclosed french one (we by pure luck just managed to avert) that would have been so massive it would have taken us all out in europe !!!
How do we crack the problem of no light/sun, wind no power?

Wave power is open to anyone to crack many are and have tried.

Fusion is due some investment.

Mr Greedy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350/2011/OM642 265bhp
It's a storage and energy transportation problem; not an energy generation problem in my view...

Once we can get our heads around the difficult choice of not wasting massive amounts of energy just because 'why should you tell me what to do' and human innate greed. Nothing much then.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
A trip to the US is still a shock to my system and I have been a lot, turning that resources sucking monster around is a big job.

There is always a trip in some super-sized vehicle then into simply enormous houses, we have by uk standards a large house I get to the US and its supersized it all needs heating and or cooling never mind building.

Its very much a status symbol and boy do they want status.

Anywhere near water and you need a big boat.

The size of them is much more mixed than we perceive, around New York generally slimmer and fitter than us head up and down the country and body sizes grow especially amongst the less well educated/poorer.

I am sure you could run a few of us for one American.

China/India is the other way they just have 10 for one of us.

It leads right back to the big problem of personal consumption do we need to consume so much?

I have to be honest, in my case no.

OP
Hotspur

Hotspur

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL350
A trip to the US is still a shock to my system and I have been a lot, turning that resources sucking monster around is a big job.

There is always a trip in some super-sized vehicle then into simply enormous houses, we have by uk standards a large house I get to the US and its supersized it all needs heating and or cooling never mind building.

Its very much a status symbol and boy do they want status.

Anywhere near water and you need a big boat.

The size of them is much more mixed than we perceive, around New York generally slimmer and fitter than us head up and down the country and body sizes grow especially amongst the less well educated/poorer.

I am sure you could run a few of us for one American.

China/India is the other way they just have 10 for one of us.

It leads right back to the big problem of personal consumption do we need to consume so much?

I have to be honest, in my case no.

India...10 for one of us....also means > 10x the waste, sewage, energy consumption & pollution

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I'm not sure there would be 10x they consume so much less.

Saying that I started with the wrong multiple.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Well that's well thought out.
Any incentive to go low emissions has just been removed exposing the whole ULEZ for what it is - a tax.

Yup!!!!!

flying haggis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
63 plate CLS shooting brake,2.2D SWMBO has 14 plate B class diesel
I was actually saying last night - if we can all grow up a bit, its time to realise across the whole world ALL cars need to be parked up and never ever driven again... the planet is dying and we must make massive, sudden and significant changes or most under 10s will not make 30 !

so all we do is move to E10 :eek:
I dont want to live in Redbridge or Waltham Forest.........

Paul Garrett

Reaction score
Well if we all park our cars up and not use them, then what about all the aircraft in the sky globally? How much pollution they make?, also delivery trucks, diesel trains, also public transport,( buses, taxis ) and so on! Inc coal powered power stations! , so where do we stop?
Us as a species will always be destined to be the cause of our demise in the future, yes sure we can hopefully slow things down a bit, but with all honesty human greed for money and power will always be there and sure as the Sun comes up in the morning all the will in the world the outcome always be the same!....as Private Frasier famously said on Dad's Army....."WE'RE DOOMED!!!!"
Id like to sugar coat it but its not possible

Judwin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180/2013/M274
Hydrogen could play a role, but not for personal transportation.

One problem with wind & solar is that if it's not windy, or too windy, or cloudy, or night then wind & solar don't generate enough to supply the base load. So you need nuclear & gas (and coal and imports) to cover the green sources. Last I looked, renewables were de-rated by about 50% to account for their (lack of) reliability.

But what you can do is build enough wind and solar capacity to supply (say) 200% of the Uk's peak requirement. Then on a good day you've got more leccy than you need, so you can use the excess to hydrolyse water into Hydrogen (and Oxygen). You then need to store the Hydrogen until a time when the renewables can't supply enough (no wind or it's cloudy), and at that point you burn the hydrogen in a power station.

The 'fuel' can then be 100% green. Whether the Hydrogen power stations and wind farms can ever really be green is a different question.

Paul Garrett

Reaction score
Hydrogen could play a role, but not for personal transportation.

One problem with wind & solar is that if it's not windy, or too windy, or cloudy, or night then wind & solar don't generate enough to supply the base load. So you need nuclear & gas (and coal and imports) to cover the green sources. Last I looked, renewables were de-rated by about 50% to account for their (lack of) reliability.

But what you can do is build enough wind and solar capacity to supply (say) 200% of the Uk's peak requirement. Then on a good day you've got more leccy than you need, so you can use the excess to hydrolyse water into Hydrogen (and Oxygen). You then need to store the Hydrogen until a time when the renewables can't supply enough (no wind or it's cloudy), and at that point you burn the hydrogen in a power station.

The 'fuel' can then be 100% green. Whether the Hydrogen power stations and wind farms can ever really be green is a different question.
Yep i agree the hydrogen is the way forward but once again will the money men make sure its so expensive for most people esp while they have fingers in other pies regarding power supply needs? It seems whatever we, as a human race develop as a power source there could be a negative side to affect our planet? Mainly because there is so many of us on it.

OP
Hotspur

Hotspur

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL350
Brought the M5 into London today instead of the economical Merc due to the new ULEZ boundary - dont think I will ever bring the Merc in anymore just to have to pay the extra charges, to be honest it's given me more of an excuse to use the very loud, very low economy, high Co2 M5 in London on a daily basis...works for me, rather pay the extra to Shell than TfL....in fact been looking at selling the Merc and Golf and getting a S63 (as per other thread) and will alternate commuting between them...

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Also came out today TFL have stopped the £2000 fund for scrapping cars because they have no money left to fund it

OP
Hotspur

Hotspur

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL350
Also came out today TFL have stopped the £2000 fund for scrapping cars because they have no money left to fund it
Great timing...

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Brought the M5 into London today instead of the economical Merc due to the new ULEZ boundary - dont think I will ever bring the Merc in anymore just to have to pay the extra charges, to be honest it's given me more of an excuse to use the very loud, very low economy, high Co2 M5 in London on a daily basis...works for me, rather pay the extra to Shell than TfL....in fact been looking at selling the Merc and Golf and getting a S63 (as per other thread) and will alternate commuting between them...
High CO2, low NOx and PM which is what they are more concerned about in cities. NOx and PM are extremely bad for health.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom