Great Service in ILTON, SOMERSET TA19 9DU

Count Rollo

Reaction score
Big, but intermittent problem with my 320 CLK. Urgently needed car as was promised to son and fiancee for trip to Scotland, starting tonight. I rang CORNERSTONE GARAGE in ILTON, SOMERSET yesterday morning and they dropped everything and 'plugged it in'. There were several old fault codes, all cleared, but 'the daddy' was caused by air-mass sensor failure. Promptly changed and road tested. Car, as ever, beautiful. The only thing that hurt was the Chancellors greedy chunk, amounting to nearly £50. For service with remarkable ability, I can strongly recommend the above garage. Phone there is 01460 55585. Count Rollo

robparker

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220d (115), 190d (201), c63 (204), 220ce (124)
They are accross the yard from us and are an excellent independant Mercedes garage. Would also highly reccomend.

playswithfire

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
52 plate vito 108 cdi 2.2
cornerstone garage ilton.... not impressed

Just bout a 52 plate vito 108 cdi from a friend who has a unit on the same estate. It had no mot and had been off the road for a year. It needed an mot and to save me having to get it towed to my usual garage 10 miles away I decided to take it accross the yard to cornerstone for the mot.

Ok it failed as I was expcting. But for them to take 5 days to get round to testing it is a bit slack. As it was I had to ring them to find out as they hadn't bothered to get back to me. They then said they would email me a quote for the repairs the following morning. Still not having recieved this but 17:20 that day I had to ring them again to find out its a £500 repair bill but its going to take them another 5 days to even do the repairs. They then call me for the first time un prompted 24 hours later to say they have nearly broken my only key for the van and need a new one cutting.

Really not impressed with the service. I know its a big moan for a first post from a new member and new merc owner but you wouldn't expect such slow service from a garage that has such good reviews from every one else

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
I believe they have just been taken over and the previous owner has nothing more to do with it and one of their technicians has left and just become the local snap on rep. He came around my place today!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I believe they have just been taken over and the previous owner has nothing more to do with it and one of their technicians has left and just become the local snap on rep. He came around my place today!

I did try contacting them three years back but I never got a reply.

devonair

Reaction score
Cornerstone Garage Ilton

Interesting developments at Cornerstone.

I would not touch them with a bargepole.

Took my E320 cdi in to them, it had been suffering from an intermittent gearbox flaring problem. They diagnosed a definite fix as being the electrical plate which they replaced. Over the next month the car broke down three times due to total gearbox failures and had to be recovered by the AA each time with very little help from Cornerstone.

Eventually I had to have the gearbox replaced. This was carried out by Cornwall & Devon Transmissions, superb service from them.

Thanks to Cornerstone I am now out of pocket to the tune of nearly £3000.

Would be interested to know who the new owners are? Steve, do you happen to know?

The “technician” who was responsible for the work on my gearbox was Ben Finn, is he the new snap-on rep?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Interesting developments at Cornerstone.

I would not touch them with a bargepole.

Took my E320 cdi in to them, it had been suffering from an intermittent gearbox flaring problem. They diagnosed a definite fix as being the electrical plate which they replaced. Over the next month the car broke down three times due to total gearbox failures and had to be recovered by the AA each time with very little help from Cornerstone.

Eventually I had to have the gearbox replaced. This was carried out by Cornwall & Devon Transmissions, superb service from them.

Thanks to Cornerstone I am now out of pocket to the tune of nearly £3000.

Would be interested to know who the new owners are? Steve, do you happen to know?

The “technician” who was responsible for the work on my gearbox was Ben Finn, is he the new snap-on rep?

My local garage used to use them before I had STAR, they were never very happy with the outcome. Now I run the test and help diagnose the problem and they do the work

DSB SL AMG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300SL (R129 1992 Pre-Facelift), Volvo V70 D5 SE Auto
Welcome...however I would have started a new thread on this garage as the original thread is from 2010, and seems the garage is under new ownership...

Just bout a 52 plate vito 108 cdi from a friend who has a unit on the same estate. It had no mot and had been off the road for a year. It needed an mot and to save me having to get it towed to my usual garage 10 miles away I decided to take it accross the yard to cornerstone for the mot.

Ok it failed as I was expcting. But for them to take 5 days to get round to testing it is a bit slack. As it was I had to ring them to find out as they hadn't bothered to get back to me. They then said they would email me a quote for the repairs the following morning. Still not having recieved this but 17:20 that day I had to ring them again to find out its a £500 repair bill but its going to take them another 5 days to even do the repairs. They then call me for the first time un prompted 24 hours later to say they have nearly broken my only key for the van and need a new one cutting.

Really not impressed with the service. I know its a big moan for a first post from a new member and new merc owner but you wouldn't expect such slow service from a garage that has such good reviews from every one else

Last edited:

devonair

Reaction score
Cornerstone garage Ilton &Tiverton

Hi dsb sl amg

Good idea about starting a new thread on Cornerstone Garage. I now call them Tombstone Garage, seems more appropriate.

As regards ownership, just checked with Companies House, it appears the ownership has not changed but the registered office has. The directors are all still the same.

So presumably the same level of service as previously can be expected? If so, my advice would be to avoid.

robparker

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220d (115), 190d (201), c63 (204), 220ce (124)
No, "cornerstone garage" as a company has not changed ownership, its now a 1-branch operation based in Tiverton.
The Ilton branch, which was formerly known as cornerstone, is now under new ownership with a new name and nothing to do with the tiverton branch.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
No, "cornerstone garage" as a company has not changed ownership, its now a 1-branch operation based in Tiverton.
The Ilton branch, which was formerly known as cornerstone, is now under new ownership with a new name and nothing to do with the tiverton branch.

Thanks Rob, I knew that you would know :D:D

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom