Grinding noise from off side rear

Big Ted

Reaction score
Hi all. Wonder if anyone can help... I am picking up a new car for my wife on friday, a lovely condition Vaneo, 2004 1.6 trend with 67k, one owner and fsh. I am buying from a reputable local dealer and had a test drive today. It drives lovely except for a loud grinding noise coming from the offside rear wheel. Initially I thought it was the disc rusty having maybe been sat for a while, then I jumped out and had a look and it has drums on the rear. The grinding sounds as the wheel turns but only when turning right, straight on or left no sound at all (even when braking). Was thinking maybe the brake pad sticking, having been sat for a while. The garage has a workshop attached and has assured me that the noise will be sorted, just a little worried that maybe all is not what it seems.... However it is a reputable dealer and is giving me a three month warranty. Any suggestions as to the noise? Am i being paranoid? Cheers in anticipation.
Ted.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I do not have any details of this car, but if only when cornering then maybe just a loose wheel bearing or a stuck brake pad

Mir

New Registration
Reaction score
Maybe a bit late for you, but we had this sort of noise - it was a spring off one end of the brake pads. From memory the springs were very cheap, and it was a 10 minute job to fix ourselves.

orri95

Reaction score
Hi we have also had this which turned from creaking to squeeking to now the whole car shaking!!!Sounds like a constant problem with the vaneo!!!:(

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom