Grumbling from Rear at 65-70MPH Plus

S

simonf

Morning.
I'm getting an unwelcome noise that I think is coming from the rear of my '92 320CE.

The noise appears audible for the first time to me at least, at around 65 to 70mph plus.

It is a kind of fairly deep grumbling that corresponds to the speed of the car. Not particularly loud but it is very definitely there. Go faster and the noise speeds up. Slower and the noise slows down.

Tracking is slightly out at the moment - In a straight line the steering wheel hangs slightly to the left. Apart from that there is nothing else obviously wrong with the car.

Can someone please make my day and tell me this is just a fairly minor bearing or something?!?!

I live in East Sussex, between Tunbridge Wells and Hastings - Any well-priced trustworthy independents very local to me?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Simon

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
This could be a rear wheel bearing and not too bad a job to get changed.

If it was the diff it would only may a whine when pulling and not on the over run

Hope the someone comes up with a good indie

OP
S

simonf

Phew!

Thanks for that - The burning sensation in my pocket has subsided!

What SHOULD the cost be for parts and labour, as a ballpark? How many hours should it be?

Thanks again.

Simon

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
very labour intensive that method - but suitable for DIY.

The best way is to search out an Indie with the special tool for pulling that bearing - very rare find, as it is an expensive tool - so be warned.

Razoo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 W211 E320 CDi Saloon
I'm getting an unwelcome noise that I think is coming from the rear of my '92 320CE.

The noise appears audible for the first time to me at least, at around 65 to 70mph plus.

It is a kind of fairly deep grumbling that corresponds to the speed of the car...

Ah yes, the dreaded deep grumbling from the rear ;)

If you didn't eat an 'endorphin rush' curry the night before, it will most likely be the mother-in-law objecting to your driving style. My E320 often produces a deep grumbling from the front, but only when the wife is present :lol:

Otherwise (as TV has posted), a deep rumbling is usually a wheel bearing on the way out.

A mechanic friend once told me that if you believe a wheel bearing is failing, and listen intently to establish which wheel the noise appears to be coming from, almost always it will turn out to be the wheel diagonally opposite to the one you suspected. And so it was on my Ford Focus a while back.

One trick to help identify if it is a front wheel bearing on the way out is to alternately apply left and right steering lock (on a clear road where it is safe to do so) when the noise is present. This action affects the loading on the bearing(s) and can alter the tone. One lock may increase the noise, whilst the other lock virtually eliminates the noise.

The best procedure is to put the car up on a hydraulic ramp with the wheels hanging, and spin each wheel in turn by hand. You should be able to both feel and hear the rumbling bearing.

Razoo

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom