GUIDE - Change Paddles on W204 C Class Steering Wheel

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
Hello all.

I've done various DIY guides on other forums i frequent and as i'm getting more used to the Mercedes brand i thought i would post one up on here to hopefully help others.

Before i start a disclaimer:

NEITHER I NOR MERCEDES-BENZ OWNERS FORUM WILL BE HELD RESPONSIBLE IF YOU UNDERTAKE THE PROCESS DETAILED IN THIS GUIDE AND SOMETHING GOES WRONG. YOU DO SO ENTIRELY AT YOUR OWN RISK

Ok now that's out the way. This guide is for a pre-facelift W204 C Class. I am not sure if it will work with other models or the face lift. I wanted better and larger paddles as i found the OEM ones quite difficult to use all the time due to the size. These make it easier to use the paddles especially round town.

Tools required

T30 Torx Bit / Small T30 Screwdriver
Socket Wrench
T10 Torx Bit/T10 Torx Screwdriver
Small precision prize or precision screwdriver
New Paddles - see link at end.

Firstly you need to remove the Airbag. This is held in by 2 x T30 Screws. You need a T30 Torx bit and a small socket wrench. Or a thin small T30 screwdriver.

RHS Screw Location

IMAG0843.jpg

LHS Screw Location

IMAG0844.jpg

Undo these and the Airbag complete will lift off. DO NOT DISCONNECT IT as it is not required to do so. If you lower the steering wheel enough you can rest it on your Knee.

Next you need to disconnect the 2 paddle connections highlighted. They are stiff if never removed but they just pull out. DO NOT yank at them. Just apply gradual pressure and they will pop out. DO NOT pull on the wires. Hold the actual connector to do it

4f5e33c8-a963-4d20-acf6-a81ce2a9a16e.jpg

Now

Undo the 2 T10 Screws that hold the paddle to the wheel and remove the paddle. Don't lose the screws!

RHS

IMAG0846.jpg

LHS

IMAG0847.jpg

The Paddles then come off and feed the wire through the slot that it comes in through.

You're now left with the paddle. Next is to remove the plastic surround. I used a precision prize but you can do it by hand just as easily

IMAG0849.jpg

IMAG0850.jpg

Next push out the retaining pin. You can see it popping out the top.

IMAG0851.jpg

Which then leaves you with the paddle in 4 separate parts.

IMAG0852.jpg

Now take the new paddle and fit it from the thin end first due to the little tab you can see in the first pic.

IMAG0855.jpg

IMAG0854.jpg

Next push the pin back in to hold the new paddle in place

IMAG0856.jpg

IMAG0857.jpg

Use whatever you used to remove to ensure it's all the way in.

Then refit the surround which just clicks in place and you're done

IMAG0858.jpg

IMAG0859.jpg

Both paddles done.

IMAG0860.jpg

Now to refit it's the reverse of disassembly. Feed the wire back through the two slots (ensure you have the paddles on the correct sides) and fix to the wheel with the 2 x T10 Screws.

Route the wire back the way it was before and then plug the connectors back in. They click in place and only fit one way.

Then re fit the Airbag with the 2 x T30 Screws.

Take for a drive to ensure fitted and working correctly

Voila all done.

Before pic

IMAG0842.jpg

After Pic

IMAG0861.jpg

The paddles i got came from here on eBay. I have no affiliation with the seller whatsoever. But they are very good quality and took about 4 weeks to be delivered.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mercedes-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item53f48512bd

Comments good/bad welcome and if anyone has any questions then please ask and i'll answer wherever i can.

Carl :)

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
If you wish to discuss this thread please post replies here

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom