Hand Car Washes

snipez999

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
18MY E63S AMG W213
I used to be into the whole detailing thing (Obsessive Compulsive Detailing as it's known!) and have a Porter Cable and everything else under the sun. Along with my umpteen sets of golf clubs/thrice-hit drivers and spare bags, they just about occupy my entire 2.5 car garage! I'm currently 're-modelling' ready for the E63s's arrival, so have invested in some decent Garagepride New Age Pro wall cabinets, thick re-cycled chequered plate flooring etc. Pics to follow (garage is seriously just full of shat at the moment!)

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
Regarding wash mitts, I recommend 2 - lambswool for above the waist line of the car (the not so dirty bits) and microfibre for below the waist line. Reason - microfibre can be put through the washing machine at 30C, no conditoner, whereas lambswool has to be hand washed. Also do the lower part of the car before the wheels with the microfibre mitt. Needless to say, I'm talking 2 wash buckets as well - the well known 2 bucket method!

Having said all that, and being the proud owner of both wash mitts, 2 buckets, clay, Kestrel DAS6, a selection of pads for this and numerous paint correction fluids and polishes (3m Perfectit at £30/L!!) as well as a selection of cleaners and waxes, one of which was £70 for 50ml, advancing age and buggered lungs means I now take both cars to my local Tesco hand wash as I've watched/trained them, they use nothing but AG products - and I'm standing watching while they do either car!!

daibevan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C200 Kompressor Elegance SE 2006 Tanzanite Blue with cream interior
I raise you 3 wash mits. Newest down to halfway trim, older down to sills, oldest sills , wheels and inside lip of wheel arches. Obviously 2 bucket method.

ells_924

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk 320 cdi
If a microfibre mit was expensive (£4 from Halfords ) then stick with the sponge , but however much you pre clean a sponge it still picks up grit and holds it on the outside surface before rubbing it over the paint . The microfibre tends not to do this anywhere near as much . When you sponge is due renewal get a microfibre . Oh and throw your chamois away as well :D

well you stick to what you want fella, i can use what i feel gives a good finish... its all in the pre wash any way..

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I just got a water filter from Raceglaze.....

Binnedit

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 W216
I just got a water filter from Raceglaze.....

Oooohhhh.... very interested on how you think that performs.

Are you going to use it for the final rinse only? How 'hard' is your water? And, did you go for the larger option? :cool:

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Oooohhhh.... very interested on how you think that performs.

Are you going to use it for the final rinse only? How 'hard' is your water? And, did you go for the larger option? :cool:
Final rinse or (more importantly) for hosing off dust between washes - my office is close by a dusty area- car can be shiny clean Monday morning in the dry summer days but dusted over by the time I’m leaving. Idea is to rinse it off when I get home
I just went with the smallest (7l) for that reason. Iirc it will do 450 litres
The water isn’t too hard last time I had it tested but I need to order a tester (forgot to do that when I ordered the filter!)

Binnedit

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 W216
Final rinse or (more importantly) for hosing off dust between washes - my office is close by a dusty area- car can be shiny clean Monday morning in the dry summer days but dusted over by the time I’m leaving. Idea is to rinse it off when I get home
I just went with the smallest (7l) for that reason. Iirc it will do 450 litres
The water isn’t too hard last time I had it tested but I need to order a tester (forgot to do that when I ordered the filter!)

Sounds like a plan, John. Be great if you could keep us updated on performance of the resin & would be very interested in some 'dried' piccies in the summer :)

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Sounds like a plan, John. Be great if you could keep us updated on performance of the resin & would be very interested in some 'dried' piccies in the summer :)
Will be done!

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
First use with the water filter. I did towel it off to be fair but there was very very little spotting before I did that, just habitually towelled it off without thinking!

Attachments

• 89A0FFDD-3BFA-41F9-8E72-1A64F9D87ADB.jpeg
    89A0FFDD-3BFA-41F9-8E72-1A64F9D87ADB.jpeg
    501.5 KB · Views: 14
  • FB30B424-C357-42C2-9BF3-C276999C808C.jpeg
    FB30B424-C357-42C2-9BF3-C276999C808C.jpeg
    559 KB · Views: 14
  • C616CCC6-ACE1-4F30-B961-F70D7076825B.jpeg
    C616CCC6-ACE1-4F30-B961-F70D7076825B.jpeg
    580.6 KB · Views: 14

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
First use with the water filter. I did towel it off to be fair but there was very very little spotting before I did that, just habitually towelled it off without thinking!

I guess the real test is to wash the car and leave it to air dry.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I guess the real test is to wash the car and leave it to air dry.
It will indeed Rory, I’m unlikely to do that too much until the summer lighter nights come around, but I will report more then (If I remember :oops:)

Binnedit

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 W216
Looks good John. Will await your further assessment, before I invest, though :)

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
It will indeed Rory, I’m unlikely to do that too much until the summer lighter nights come around, but I will report more then (If I remember :oops:)

Mine is overdue for a wash - just struggling to work in a bucket of cold water.....will remain dirty until it warms up a little more!

OP
A.J.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
I am just scratching my head wondering how to deal with a car covered in sand without going to a Hand Car Wash. The weekends strong easterly has dumped the most sand on the car that I have seen in a long time. I did clean the windscreen this morning with a watering can and my hand but by Christ that was cold !! :(

OP
A.J.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
I am just scratching my head wondering how to deal with a car covered in sand without going to a Hand Car Wash. The weekends strong easterly has dumped the most sand on the car that I have seen in a long time. I did clean the windscreen this morning with a watering can and my hand but by Christ that was cold !! :(
Well, the lord god almighty helped me out a little last night. It rained, so I feel a little more comfortable about cleaning the remainder of the sand off now :)

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Well, the lord god almighty helped me out a little last night. It rained, so I feel a little more comfortable about cleaning the remainder of the sand off now :)
I have the same problem now with Salt...after my Preston drive on Sunday the car is covered ! I was also coming to the airport today so no point in doing much.... this morning brilliant sun...
I’m hoping for rain and higher temps Friday when I return to wash some off!!

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom